Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Beginner

Default Formal Night (Military Uniform?)

One last thing.....several people have told me it would be quite appropriate and encouraged to wear a mess dress (U.S. military tuxedo style uniform for formal occasions) on a cruise during formal night. It did not sound like good advice to me and wondering what the consensus is (it seems better to keep a low profile). But, after hearing it for the 5th time I'm really curious now. I'm sailing on the Costa Mediterranea on a Western Carribean trip on Novem 30. Thanks! JackBBB
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Formal Night (Military Uniform?)

Jack,
By all means, [b]wear[b] it!!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 12th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Yes Jack wear your dress uniform
Old September 12th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Admiral

WEAR IT. I would be proud and happy to dine with you (or anyone else) in military dress formal.
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:01 AM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Formal Night (Military Uniform?)

It is up to you. My son and his wife (both Air Force) are keeping it quiet on their cruise about being military. They think it is best due to current world situations. They will be civillians on their cruise. It's up to you, you know things we don't.
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Anita is correct, as are the others too. Wearing it is entirely appropriate in the dining room but you need to consider you will be amongst many non-Americans on the ship and in the ports. Your uniform may be a trigger for some negative comments.

Appropriate.......yes, absolutely................advised....only you can determine this.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 12th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Admiral

oh please don't tell me it has come to this that a man or woman serving his/her country in the miltary has to worry about "politically correct" dressing on a Caribbean vacation. That's so sad and it sickens my heart.
Old September 12th, 2003, 12:39 PM
anita kennedy

Welcome to the REAL world. Its sad but true. It needs to be considered, definitely up to the person.
Old September 12th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Not that he has to be "politically correct" which has nothing to do with this situation. One must understand their surroundings. Too many people (Americans) think only Americans are on the ship. That the other passengers believe in the same ideals as us. That the other passengers support our military as we do.

This could be a wrong assumption.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 12th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Captain

Sailing for the first time Oct 12 on the Conquest. Plan on wearing my white mess dress on one of the formal nights and my black mess dress on the other one. I have served in the Military for 28 years and my wife has served for 20 yearsand we are most proud of our service (NAVY) and our uniforms. Neither one of us will ever keep quiet about our service to our country.
It may not be politcally correct ,but to us it's the right thing.

Looking forward to what we hope to be the best vacation ever. 30 days and counting
Old September 14th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Yeoman

Some of the best dressed men were in their military uniforms! Some were American, but others wore the uniform of their own country. I especially enjoyed seeing those men and women who dressed in what would be considered formal in their native country. By all means, wear your uniform and be proud to be an American!
Old September 15th, 2003, 01:54 PM
p.g.

As a Canadain I just want to say that I would be proud to sit dodwn with an American military personel in his/her dress uniform. As an above poster said "it may not be policticaly correct but it's the right thing to do"
If you serve your country I would hope that you are proud of it , and that others would support you.
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Passenger

I am proud of all those that serve, and they should be proud to wear their uniforms. I have never seen this on any cruise I have been on, but certainly find it appropriate. On the other hand, I hear what some are saying about others opinions. I guess all in all you should be proud to be an American and that can be your response if anyone gives you a hard time. usually though people aren't looking to get into heated political debates on their vacation with total strangers. I say go for it
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:03 PM
patrick brennan

Wear it with pride, I wor mine back from Nam in "72 withpride. If I were with you I would "Help" you handle any neg comments!!!!!
Old October 24th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Doug R.

I retired from the AF after 20 years in 1991. I would proudly wear my mess dress on board ship on formal night except I outgrew it ever so slightly. : )

Doug, MSgt USAF Retired
and proud of it!!!!!
Old October 24th, 2003, 11:49 AM
p.g.

As i've stated above, wear it and be proud but,, reaslize that you will be approached more often for conversation( where did you serve, what do you think ,what did you see??)so if you really wanted to have a private and romantic dinner with just your wife then maybe not wearing it would afford you more privacy. Costa is often filled with alot of Europeans and what many Americans don't seem to understand is Europeans in general love to talk politics, and may in fact say negative things about a government( yours or theirs) but not mean it as a personal attack on you personally. Most Europeans including the teenagers know more about politics then the average North American., and heated debates are considered good fun. I am just adding this to the debate over whether or not to wear the uniform, but please understand that I think if your're a socail guy who doesn't mind chatting to strangers then by all means go for it,and let's face it uniforms are dead sexy!!OL
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

The finest tux doesn't hold a candle to a dress uniform. You earned it--wear it with pride!
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Beginner

Thank you everyone for your inputs. After considering all of the great feedback I will definitely wear my military mess dress with well earned pride. Thank you again!