CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Shopping for Clothes before Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/278550-shopping-clothes-before-cruise.html)

carla823 October 11th, 2003 09:07 PM

Shopping for Clothes before Cruise

I'm about 9 weeks away from my first cruise (Belize, Cozumel & Key West). I've put off shopping because of weight loss and money. Now I'm concerned about buying "summer" clothes in the winter. I've tried Lane Bryant online but the summer selected is very limited. I need a bathing suit and some nice dinner clothes. Any website suggestions? It would help if they were for plus sizes! Thanks for the input!

Carla

12/08/03
Enchantment of the Seas - Royal Caribbean

StevieSegel October 12th, 2003 12:05 AM

Re: Shopping for Clothes before Cruise

try Junonia

www.junonia.com

(a bit on the high end....but check the clearance section for deals)

another one of my personal faves is

www.bigonbatik.com

(great range of sizes and lots of lightweight summer stuff)

Also.....check EBAY :)
you can get new and slightly used clothes of ALL kinds there :)

(Personally....I think I need a 12 step program for EBAY....I'm hooked!)

Hope that's helpful :)

Post Edited (10-12-03 00:07)

p.g. October 12th, 2003 06:42 PM

Umm, this may be a little o.t. but I have purchased some very nice clothes for cruising( and other summer type vacations) by going to a nice consignment shop here. It has nice clothes in great condition( better than a thrift store) . We even have a plus size consignment shop in town, This is especially helpful for " formal attire" as there are some beuatiful gowns that have obviously only been worn once or twice for a special occasision and are such great prices. Just a thought.

anita kennedy October 12th, 2003 08:59 PM

Re: Re: Shopping for Clothes before Cruise

If you have Ross go there. I went there for the first time today and saw a dress for formal night black, for 29.00, beaded etc. that would be perfect for formal night. Of course it depends on where you live, but we still have summer clothes out and on sale.

Gal1974 October 12th, 2003 09:54 PM

ROSS ROSS ROSS! I love ROSS!
I first found a carwash skirt for $10 on clearance and a silky white shirt to go with it for $10, very classy and formal.

Well, today, I went back to Ross, to "just look around" and I found an even better formal dress on clearance for $20.99 and because it was missing the scarf (that didn't even match or look good), I got 25% off. And it matches my $10 heels that I got on clearance at Avenue.

I am a big girl and I think Ross has the best selection for the price. The only thing is, you really have to take your time and look. Well, at least in my area of Texas you do. Like the dress I found today on clearance was mixed in with the regular stuff.

I got my bathing suit on EBAY and I could not be happier with it! It is a skort tini, very figure flattering if that's possible, lol. I am EBAY addict as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

carla823 October 13th, 2003 08:13 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm in Michigan and not familiar with the store "Ross". Sounds great though...wish we had it here! We do have a good, inexpesive plus store called Catherines. I may go there to see about dinner outfits.

I found a suggestions on another message board. The site sells long, short & jacket dresses and men's hawaiian shirts. The prices are fantastic!! If you haven't been there...you have to check it out!

www.monkeibusiness.com

Keep the advice coming...I'm going to check out those suggestions!

Gal1974 October 13th, 2003 10:50 PM

http://www.rossstores.com/index.jsp

that is the website for Ross, you can see if there is any near your area. Have you tried TJ Maxx? They do not have the selection, I do not think that Ross does but every now and then you will find something good.

Travelbug October 14th, 2003 09:16 AM

Have you tried Sears? I've been very pleased with the selection of dressy clothing from there, and right now they're having some great clearance deals on summer wear.

I used to think Sears was only good for appliances and tools, but I found a gorgeous royal blue sparkle-y top for one of the formal nights, just last weekend, for 40% off regular price.

Yes, Plus Sizes too.

Sonja

LisaK October 14th, 2003 10:26 AM

LandsEnd catalog and LandsEnd.com still have a good selection of swimwear. As for monkiebusiness - i don't like them personally, the clothing is very flimsy ( you get what you pay for). JC Penny has some nice dressier clothes, consider a dinner suit with a dressy blouse or cami underneath. A long black skirt is always in fashion- pair it with a sparkly top

asheskat October 15th, 2003 12:24 PM

Try Sears, went there Tuesday all the summer stuff was on clearance. Womens sizes pink tags were $2.94 got to registar rang up $2.22! Got 8 outfits and extras for like $38!! Good Luck Shopping!!

Kathy & Dave October 15th, 2003 06:58 PM

Check out QVC! They have lots of clothes in various sizes and do mark down the seasonal stuff. I just got 2 nice "business casual" jackets for about $30 ea. Shipping is quick too. I selected regular ground and had them in 3 days!

:)

hkolln October 15th, 2003 07:26 PM

I buy some clothes from Jcpennys.com and lanebryant.com.
Also try walmart if you have one locally.

carla823 October 16th, 2003 06:55 PM

Thanks for the input about Sears. I can't believe I forgot about them. You're right...I bought a really nice sundress for a wedding about 2 years ago and it was only $30!

ready to go October 17th, 2003 11:35 AM

As a plus sized woman from Canada, I'm jealous to hear the variety of stores you guys have. We have little. I'm not really up on "on line shopping," so this is probably a dumb question, but how do you shop for clothes on line?? Specifically, how do you know it will fit? Just curious.

Kathy & Dave October 17th, 2003 05:59 PM

ready to go,
That's the only downside to shopping online! Once I find something I like, I stick with the same store or brand. I do end up returning stuff sometimes. It's definitely the best way to buy a bra! No more hunting through racks for hours and not finding the right size anyway! In the past 5 years, I think I bought only 1-2 bras in the regular stores. Same for shoes, I have wide feet and can't wear heels. I love Naturalizer and can't find wide sizes locally, so I buy them online too. Hubby just loves to see those packages coming in!!! LOL

Gal1974 October 17th, 2003 09:21 PM

Hi, Kathy. Can you send me the website for the Naturalizer shoes? My mom has trouble finding shoes because her feet are so wide, this would be a great place I think for her to pick up some shoes. You can send me an e-mail or post here if you do not mind. Thanks!

Jenny Evans October 20th, 2003 12:57 PM

You all may want to check with www.monkeibusiness.com, they have dresses, short, long and jacket dresses very reasonably priced ... from 10.00 to 25.00 and they ship them immediately and have great customer service.

Jenny.

carla823 October 22nd, 2003 05:31 AM

I tried Monkeibusiness as well. I just ordered two dressed for less then $35 total. I have been told they aren't great...but if they look nice and last for the cruise and possibly a little longer...it's worth it to me! I just wish they had a better selection of short dresses in plus size...but the long dresses are better for dinners anyway.

Jenny Evans October 22nd, 2003 06:50 PM

I found them to be an excellent choice for cruise wear if you are on a budget, not to mention that they travel and pack very well. I have some friends who wore an inexpensive jacket over them and use them for work sometimes. Either way, for 13-14 dollars you can't go wrong.

Gal1974 October 23rd, 2003 07:59 PM

Hi, ladies! This is for the size 14 and up club, lol

I have posted this on the packing section of the boards too. I found this website: http://www.onlineclothingstores.com/...zeClothing.htm

The first site alight.com, has some great bargains --if you look-- on really cute sexy summery dresses.

Happy shopping!

carla823 October 24th, 2003 06:53 PM

Good news...the dressed from Monkeibusiness are really nice. Perfect material for warm tropical air. I'm getting a shawl to go over them in case there's a cool breeze. Thanks whoever mentioned Ebay! I'm loving it!!

T & T October 25th, 2003 08:18 PM

Dillards Dillards Dillards they have all summer clothes on sale now and the swimsuits are about 10.00.

debv November 7th, 2003 03:15 PM

eddiebauer.com has some nice summer dresses - i think for 40% off thru the 11th. no swimsuits - just bikini tops.

debv November 7th, 2003 03:18 PM

eddiebauer.com has some nice summer dresses - i think for 40% off thru the 11th. no swimsuits - just bikini tops.

http://www1.jcpenney.com/jcp/Product...tring=swimwear

try that....penneys online - not much left in swimwear.

debv November 7th, 2003 03:36 PM

Kohls.com has some summerwear stuffs.

Bobbi November 24th, 2003 01:19 PM

Hi everyone!
I just wanted to comment on Monkiebusiness.com.
I ordered some long and short dresses from them and was very pleased!
They are light airy and perfect for the fun in the sun, and go nicely into evening dressy casual dinners!
The size chart he has worked perfect for me!
(I generally wear a 16 or 18 due to bust size, and the XLarge was a perfect fit!)

Keith, the owner, is the nicest guy I've ever delt with on-line shopping! He's an avid travler and cruiser...ship and bike! and is always so pleasent to chat with!
I highly recommend him and the dresses he and his wife make.

They also have some nice Hawaiian shirts for men! Check them out!

Just my 2cents! :-)
Bobbi

Dorothy November 24th, 2003 02:56 PM

Glad to hear about the quality of the dresses. I looked at the website, but couldn't quite figure out if I was going to try anything. Think I'll go order something festive....

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

Bobbi November 24th, 2003 03:11 PM

Dorothy, I think you'll find them to be very nice for evening dinner wear. I didn't see anything that would do for FORMAL wear, just dressy casual. Around the ship they will look very smart!
The short dresses are a poly type material (not very good at descriptions! LOL)
and will not wrinkle I'm sure!
They have a tie in the back to make the fit perfect for any body type, or cut the ties off if you don't need them! Let is hang A-line!

The long dresses are a cotton blend? They are VERY soft! They will shrink if you wash and dry them so hang dry! They hang very flowing and feel like butter! Very comfy!
I'm into comfy! :-)

If you have ANY questions just write KEITH before you buy and he'll get right back to you to answer your questions! He's very fast and super friendly!

Like I said the size chart he had ran dead on to my usual size!
I hope this helps as I was trying hard to find things that would make me feel good, be inexpensive and look great! I think it's a goldmine for the price!

Best of luck and have a great cruise!
Bobbi