CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   carribbean for large people (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/278554-carribbean-large-people.html)

Lyn October 13th, 2003 10:44 PM

carribbean for large people

Hi, we are going to the Western Carribbean (belize city, grand cayman, Cozumel) and I am a little worried about being the only plus sized woman on the beach. Is it going to be possible to do the cave tubing and the snorkeling? I would like to know what other heavy people done to enjoy their excursions?
I would hate to go to beaches I have only dreamed about and not experience the water yet I am so self-concious.

Also wondered how difficult it will be to get around some of the ruins. And if we were to choose which mayan ruin is the best one to explore. I would appreciate any help from those that have gone before.
Lyn

steben October 14th, 2003 02:19 AM

Re: carribbean for large people

In almost two weeks, I'll be on different back to back repositioning cruises (RCI) that stop at a lot of ports. So, I've been stressing a little on what excursions to take also. I booked the Tulum and Xel Ha excursion which I'm not worried about at all. I cancelled a Rhino Rider excursion because I was worried about the weight limit. But then I booked a parasail excursion because my husband (who isn't fat) didn't want to do it without me. I'll let you know how it goes if I get back before you.

I've only been on one cruise so far, Carnival Holiday, for the 4 night to Cozumel. We went to Chankanaab and swam at the beach. I didn't feel uncomfortable there. I wear skirted tankinis or swim short coverups over my swimsuit. I know my upper arms look awful, but that's the only time they get to see the light of day and I don't like to swim in teeshirts. You should go for it and get in the water. Don't waste your valuable vacation time worrying about what other people think.

will86 October 14th, 2003 04:22 AM

My husband and I were on Disney last November and saw many large people on the ship and beach enjoying themselves. Don't worry about others. I'd say go for it and enjoy yourself!!

Travelbug October 14th, 2003 09:02 AM

Lyn,

There will be people of all sizes - don't worry about it. Everyone is there to have a good time, and you should too. Having more body fat than my husband makes it easier for me to float comfortably! You have to get in the water! There's nothing that compares to swimming, floating, snorkeling in the warm ocean.

For the ruins, I'd pack some comfortable high top boots or shoes that give good ankle support and have good traction type soles.

Enjoy your trip, and post a report when you get back - for us who haven't been on this cruise yet.

Sonja

LisaK October 14th, 2003 10:19 AM

Lyn, do whatever you want to do! you will see all shapes and sizes on your cruise. Swim with the Sting Rays, explore the ruins, spend the day at the beach!

readytogo October 14th, 2003 12:11 PM

As a large plus sized woman (275 lbs) who just got back, let me put your worries to rest. Yes, I look horrible in a bathing suit and I'm pretty self conscious, but I made up my mind early that I was not going to let it stop me. I went to the pool to tan every day (by my self mind you because my friends were not really "sun people."). Yes, I did feel a little out of place next to the teeny tiny bikinis, but let me say that there were a lot of those teeny tiny bikinis that did not contain teeny tiny bodies. I think that there were a lot of people who looked worse than me because I wear a suit appropriate for my body type. I had no trouble with anything - toured the ruins in Belize city (Altun Ha) - you can't climb them anyway, so it was not at all difficult - just flat walking. There was one large one that people could walk up if they wanted (only one person in our group did -t he rest waited on the ground). I snorkelled with no problem - if you book a private tour, they will not make you wear a life jacket if you don't want to, but if you book a ship tour, they will. I did both - private tour for snorkelling and stingray city in grand cayman (used Nativeway watersports and their boats were easy to climb in and out of). Also did a ship tour of snorkelling ( by myself) in Cozumel. Had to wear a life jacket but it is totally adapted to any body type. I know exactly how you feel, but hopefully, you'll be able to relax and do everything you want to do. I did hear that cave tubing in Belize is a bit difficult if you're out of shape, but I didn't look into this since my friend didn't want to do this anyway. My biggest worry was the airline seat (Spirit Airlines) and although we were crowded, it was no major worry (even the seat belt was fine). Please have a great trip!!

Thomas October 14th, 2003 12:21 PM

Some of us find oversize appealing. Don't worry about it. Go and have a good time.

Regards,
Thomas

readytogo October 15th, 2003 11:37 AM

Way to go Thomas!!! Wish there were more guys like you out there.

Luanne October 18th, 2003 10:08 PM

my philosophy is that other than those you travel with, who have seen you probably in summer attire, there won't be anyone else on the ship who will ever see you again. If you meet people on board who want to become friends even after the cruise, then they already have seen you and it won't matter. Cruise people are too busy having fun to worry about what others look like. I am overweight and have been in bathing suits to Hawaii, and the Caribbean 3 times. I snorkel and have parasailed. I feel that life is too short to skip beach activities because of being overweight. You have a right to enjoy your trip too. Go and do what you want and have a wonderful time.

Luanne

Thomas October 20th, 2003 11:15 AM

You'll have a great time in the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean. Don't miss out on the snorkelling, the fish and coral are awesome. You won't be alone either, there will be plenty of plus-sized people on the beach.

And at dinner each night go ahead and order two desserts, you're on vacation and should not deny yourself anything you want. You can repair any damage once you get home.

Regards,
Thomas

carla823 October 22nd, 2003 04:59 PM

I agree with what the others are saying. I've been a little nervous about being overweight for my cruise (about 60 pounds). I'm working on losing some but more for the health benefits then impressing people. I'm looking forward to everything...even the bathing suits because I cannot wait to snorkel for the first time!! Enjoy enjoy enjoy :-)

T & T October 25th, 2003 08:14 PM

Hi lyn We have been on several cruises, we/ve been big then small, then big and now we are small again. Every time we cruise we've realized theirs going to be someone who looks better or worse than us!!!! So go have a great time, enjoy ,be careful, and we hope you have a wonderful trip!!!!!!!

celticmom2 January 7th, 2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carla823 (Post 576632)
I agree with what the others are saying. I've been a little nervous about being overweight for my cruise (about 60 pounds). I'm working on losing some but more for the health benefits then impressing people. I'm looking forward to everything...even the bathing suits because I cannot wait to snorkel for the first time!! Enjoy enjoy enjoy :-)

Hi! I'm a full figured woman and snorkeled my first time in Hawaii. I am hooked! You will love it! Go onto YouTube and look up snorkeling and you can find some vids that will show you how. It gives you a little longer explanation. It's what I did and I was fine!
I cruise to the Western Caribbean in 38 days on RCL. My DH is very heavy, but we always have fun together. This will be our FIRST cruise.

belgique January 7th, 2013 11:22 PM

Agree with all the above posters. I always used to worry about being "full figured, sturdy, big-boned" etc.

Got over that real fast. No one really cares! Everyone on a cruise is there for fun, meeting fun new people, eating great food, seeing great things.

Some of the ruins have a lot of steps and can be rough on knees (on anyone!), so you might want to avoid them. All water tours are fun and there are people to help you on and off boats.

As my wise grandmother once said, "What makes you think everyone is looking at you all the time?" That put me in my place!

So go - have a ball - don't worry about anyone's opinions except those you care for.

Manuel January 8th, 2013 06:15 AM

My DW is a full figured lady and we have been on 15 cruises and we both have had a great time on them.
Cruising is great for people of all sizes.

TM

Paul Motter January 22nd, 2013 04:42 PM

You are only going to be there once. I admire people who are ready to enjoy themselves despite their looks. I am a little self-conscious of my body, but my brother (same body type, but much heavier) got right by the pool on the first day. I was amazed, but I thought "good for him."