Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Is it OK to be fat?

bobbieE,

I also love the swim suits from lands end!! I might be over weight but thru the years, no matter what my size, I have always wanted to look good. I also have found great clothes at talbots. they have a web site talbots.com And if I might brag on myself for one moment. . . . . . Since November 2003 I have loss 28 pounds!! I have started cutting back on salt and eating mostly fresh fruit and vegs. I also take water aerobics and do cardio for 1 1/2 hours, five days a week. My reason you might ask??? My blood pressure had gotten high and I didn't want to go on meds - now it is 126/83. And also I wanted to (at least try) fit in the plane seat flying to seattle for my alaska cruise!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:12 PM
First Mate

Cindy,
Thanks for the info on Talbots. I love their clothes and did not know about that web site. Sounds like you are doing great . Keep it up.
Bobbie
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:15 PM
theCoach

I love you fatfolks! I agree 100% with you!

Hey Anon

I wonder. How did you ever get out to the TA to book this holiday? Do you leave your home at all? Don't you work? Shop? Dine out? Attend movies? Go for a walk? a drive?

Well, you do all these things in the normal course of your life don't you?
SO WHY NOT A CRUISE????

I have a disability and I know that prople whisper when I'm around. WHO CARES!!!!

As some of the previous posts have said ( and as my plump wife says) just make sure to dress in something that is not going to significantly pronounce your body so that it looks "abnormal" and BE YOURSELF.

You are going on a HOLIDAY to RELAX and ENJOY YOURSELF
Not to worry about what someone else thinks of you.

Happy sailing
theCoach
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:25 PM
Admiral

My grandmother always said"fat folks are happy folks"..I too am overweight as is much
of america..but I have fun no matter where I am ....and YOU SHOUD TOO..just have
fun and be yourself...it's what's inside that counts anyway..seizure later.

Old April 1st, 2004, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi,
I too am a large lady. I used to feel hurt at being snubbed or hearing the sneers and snickers. After thinking about it for a long time I come to this conclusion. If someone is too shallow to look beyond the outer image and get to know the person I am then it is their loss. Do I really want to know someone so shallow and self centered? I am what I am !! If you don't like my looks then look elsewhere!! Go on that cruise and have the time of your life!!!

Cruznut2
Old April 4th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Yeoman

shame on anyone who would think that. i can tell that you are really worried about this and since your cruise is over im sure you have found out that cruise companions are very nice people who will treat you very nicely. and by the way when i went on my cruise last year '' it was alright to be fat''. i had a great time. your are a beutiful person on the inside and that is what counts. im sorry you have a medical problem and hope it did not spoil your trip.
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

You are what you are no matter what your size who cares as long as you are happy with yourself and treat people fairly. No criticisms here just an observation. Last week on the Oosterdam my husband and I noticed alot of obesity. We only wondered about the fact that it only pertained to Americans. There were many Europeans on this ship. Why are they not suffering from weight problems due to health issues like Americans?
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:29 PM
davidkade

Hey!
I'm 340lbs, and I found that no matter how bad you think you look in that swimsuit, someone thinks they look worse! Everybody is there to have a good time. I had no problem, stares, or even comments (like "Ahab was right, he's white as can be!")

So...

Dance like no body's loking,
Sing like no body's listening,
And Have a Ball!!!!!

David
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:58 AM
bugaboo

Thank you all for these messages. I too am overweight, and going to Alaska on my first cruise in August. We have a floatplane and helicopter excursion planned,and I found out I have to give my "weight" which has me sick. After reading all of these posts, I'm trying really really hard to get past this hang-up I have about telling someone what I weigh. As for the swimsuits, I applaud all of you that can wear one in public and enjoy yourself. Being overweight most of my life, I feel that if you dress appropriately that is what is important. Everyone enjoy their cruises!!!!!
Old April 27th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Admiral

I was wondering about the life jackets... I have a friend who looked @ several @ our local sporting goods store... and if you are a larger than average person... brother, you just might sink ! Are the jackets on the ship the kind that just come over your head and fasten around the waist ? If not, my friend is Skipping the muster drill !!
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Is it OK to be fat?

Yes, on my last cruise the life jacket goes over the head and the strap goes around the waist with plenty of yardage. Trust me, you'll have no problem. You will find your life jacket in your cabin, so I would suggest trying it on before doing so in front of other passengers at the muster drill. Much better to put it on in private the first time!

Vicki

Targeting Jun 2009
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:59 PM
CF

I agree with vbrogdon, try it on in private first. As a large person, I always do. The worst part of the life jacket for me is that it is tight around my neck, but that is what I get for have a 20" neck. And as for worrying about what other people think, don't. Remember, you will most likely never see 99.1% of these people again. Actually, the only time I will put on a bathing suit and use a pool or beach is when I am traveling since I won't see any of these people again. What I dread more is being invited to parties by family and friends if they have a pool. I will wear jeans in 90 degree heat just to avoid being nagged about "going in".
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:07 AM
jandrsmom

Wow, I feel your pain!!! However, didn't you pay as much money as they did to board the ship? I say to heck with them, let go for once and enjoy your hard earned vacation.
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Familiar Face

I was wondering about the life jackets... I have a friend who looked @ several @ our local sporting goods store... and if you are a larger than average person... brother, you just might sink !

Well, since fat floats, I think those large ones won't have too much of an issue!

Are the beds in the cabins large enough?

Celebrity Summit
Seward to Vancouver
Old June 27th, 2004, 02:07 PM
First Mate

First of all... there are a few thousand approx.. on a ship.. the percentage of those with a bit extra weight around the middle I would venture could reach 50%...or higher by the end of the cruise...

so.. you are in good company...

There will be plenty of cellulite to view.. me included..I guarantee the ship will not be filled with extreme makeover grads.. or the anorexic societyof america.....so just relax and have a good time..

{img]http://www.anorexicweb.com/InsidetheFridge/Resources/sunbath.jpg{/img]
The Anorexic..cruise passenger..
Old June 27th, 2004, 02:08 PM
First Mate

ooops..lets try the pic again..

Old June 27th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Yeoman

Another vote for worrying more about what you think about yourself than what others think about you! Being fitter is ideal, of course, for living longer and being able to enjoy more physical activities on vacation. However I can't see how your size (whether large, or thin) is any business of anyone else on a cruise ship.

Post Edited (06-28-04 03:44)
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Jane Marlow

Yes, it is ok to be fat. Not from a health stand point in most cases.

Any adult who snickers at an overweight person clearly has issues and need to look within themselves to see why they hate and feel fear.

I work out daily and keep as fit as possible with yoga and Pilates. However, I don't attatch my values onto others...it's the only way to be mature and happy.

I have tolerance for people of all shapes and sizes. Have a fantastic time and don't let what others "may" think worry you.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Looks like I'll be in great company. I'm a size 18 - would love to be a 12 but 18 seems to be where I am (through 17 years of marriage and 3 children). I am healthy, active and happy.

See you on the deck, on the beach, in the pool, and possibly even on the funnel deck!

TTFN.

Tracey
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:25 PM
FrankP

You are going on your cruise to enjoy YOURSELF. Don't worry about what other people think. If someone is ignorant enough to judge you by your size, SCREW them
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:08 PM
Yeoman

Yes, it is ok to be fat, as long as you dress appropriately! I was at a resort in Phoenix and saw a 500 lb. plus woman in a skimpy bikini. From the front she looked bottomless, because her rolls were hanging over the bikini, and not a pretty site to see!
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Kim Sta

Hi

Do you have the same as me? PCOS?? I too have put on loads of weight, mostly around the tum area, and do look pregnant sometimes! Excercise/diet do nothing as hormones make the body retain fat. I too feel self consious, having once been very slim but now think well, I cant help it, if people want to comment through ignorence, its up to them. Enjoy your hol and if anyone stares, just smile or wave at them - will soon kep them quiet!
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:58 PM
hb

My husband and I just came back from our first cruise aboard the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans. There were people of all sizes, shapes, colors on the ship. Everybody was very friendly including the crew and cruisers. We had a fantastic time.
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Barb K

Wow I'm so glad someone addressed this as I'm traveling with my mom on a vacation this week, including a 10 day cruise - I've been so nervous about flying as a large person. Thanks for all your great posts - I feel much more relaxed now.
BARB K
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:13 PM
Jim Hollingsworth

Who cares what people say, im a big boy to, and i have no problem kicking someones ass over board....
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:09 PM
First Mate

Jim, because someone is stupid and insensitive it is not worth doing something that will put you in jail. If you do that then they win and there is already enough stupid arrogant people winning these days. Just let them make a fool out of themselves if they feel the need to. They will be the ones that lose in the long run.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:15 PM
Cheryl Robertson

Honey it's alright to be fat, skinny, tall, short,even medium is ok. Don't be intimadted by ANYONE in this life. People rude enough to comment about a persons size ( any size) should just ask a group of others whats wrong with their body! Boy will they be surprized. People that like to complain will do so just because they can. Don't forget you will probably never see these people again anyway. Life is way to short to worry about the opinions of others. Have a good time for yourself. I think because you are younger you might be more sensetive to this issue. When you are older than dirt like me (60) you won't care as much. Dress the way you like and let anyone with a problem look away. Yes. yes I am a big girl and I have never let what other people thought bother me. I have already said this NO ONE is going to rain on my parade for this cruise. Have a great time and ENJOY.
Old February 6th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Banditsmom

I am a plus size woman also about to take my first cruise. My best friend travelling with me is about half my weight with a tiny figure but we are there to have fun, not to worry what each other and everyone else thinks of us. If they are truley your friend, they could care less what you look like. It is fine to be overweight and wear a bathing suit as long as it suits your figure. This of course means no thongs and no string bikini's. If someone has to pick on us because we are overweight, then I'm sure they have self-esteem problems themselves. These people have to put "not so perfect" people down to make themselves feel better about what and who they are. Just remember, they may look nice on the outside but may be pretty ugly on the inside. Just go and have a good time and if they don't like the way you look, then they can leave and go somewhere else. Make an entrance, hold your head high, and remember, we are big beautiful women!!!!!