Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Juliet

Default 5 in a room or not?

This is to be our first cruise. We are planning on the Majesty out of NC in Dec of next year. I haven't as yet booked, and are looking at my room options and prices. I have asked for 4 quotes from 4 different sources, and will for sure be booking by tomorrow. (I'm sooooo excited!!!) My question is, why have 2 told me they can not put 5 in a suite on this ship, and the other 2 have said they would. One even emailed the price for each passenger listing it 1-5 for me to see for a suite. I don't want to be told one thing by phone or email, book, and then the day I sail find out by the ship's crew I'll be moving to 2 rooms since this should've never been booked this way. Do some travel agents simply have more clout then others? Icruis.com said no to 5, but 2 agents that contacted me thru their cruise bazaar said yes, and quoted prices. Another online today said no.
Thanks for any insight!
Juliet
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2003, 05:17 PM
The Summit March 3, 2004

Default Re: 5 in a room or not?

Hi Juliet,
You said this is your fist cruise???
If you plan on putting 5 in a room I
bet this will be your last cruise.
Unless you get a family suite room which
Is more money you will be very unhappy.
Plus bring Numbers to use the Bathroom.
In the morning you will need to get up by
4:00-4:30 so you will all have time to
Shower and be ready.
Are you all Girls going??? that will Mean
even getting uo Earlier,so you can dry your
Hair.Spend the extra money each 3 in a room
at the most, Its real tight and no place
for all the Bags of clothes,shoes,and
Makeup. Hope you enjoy your cruise.
let me know if I was right or wrong?????

Dave
Old December 12th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Juliet,
You may want to check this site out and see what cabins do have room for 5:

http://www.cruisestateroom.com/84793...hips-frame.htm

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Juliet

Hi folks,

It will be my husband, myself and our 3 children ages 10, 7 and 4. Last year we did a bed and breakfast with all that in a small room. Yes, I'm sure it was bigger than the ship's room will be, but we had all 3 beds on the floor, not 2 popping out of the wall like these 2 will. All we did at our room at the bnb was sleep. We took it b/c there was no room at relatives we were visiting. On night one they only had 1 room and stuffed beds in. They wanted to move the kids across the hall the next night, and I said, nah, would rather be right there to shhh them to sleep right away then have to cross the hall 10 times saying get in bed or.... There was no tv (this was a very rustic farm house type bnb), and we were out visiting up until bedtime. We came in, one at a time bathed the kids, (did our bathing in the AM) and went to bed pretty much right away. Good thing there wasn't any room, really for anything else. I planned on pretty much the same routine for this trip. When I first started this thread I hadn't yet asked my travel agent how she's pulling this off, when some agents said no. If you go to the deck plan at NCL.com/fleet you will see rooms that they will allow 5. Why some agents say no, I can only guess is their effort to see to it that you are comfortable, or to make more money?? (I know the cruise line pays their commission) I am only speculating, still have no idea right now. My agent works in SC, where I'm leaving from, and says she has a wonderful conection with a great booking agent. All I know is we got a quite a deal, plan on spending every waking minute NOT in the cabbin, and if this is too close for comfort, then next time I'll go for the suite or 2 rooms. For my first one, I'm choosing to be fruggle, not just because my research says there's no reason to stay in cabin when on board, or in port, but also because we're a pretty close family and have camped in tents and as I mentioned done the bnb thing very close quarters before and believe it will be fine. Given the kids' ages, I doubt most of us would want 1 cabin next go around anyway. Sort of taking it while I can get it.
See you on the boards, cause I am booked!
Juliet

(cute clock or something catchy coming to this space soon!)
Old December 13th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Yeoman

Juliet , yes it would be nice to get two cabins, but as you pointed out your kids are young, and personally we have motorhomed for years in a 24 footer with our 3 kids for 2 to 3 weeks at a time and did just fine. I wouldn't worry about it, you will all have a bed and so what about sharing a bathroom, a 4 year old doesn't shower every morning do they? It will be tight , and yes you may be on top or each other at times, but there is a special closeness that you might as enjoy now when they are all so young, they'll be teenagers before you know it , and then who wants to share a room with them!!!
You don't have to cook or make beds, someone else will clean the bathroom, go and have FUN!
Old December 13th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Juliet

To pg:
Thank you! I was starting to worry about the room. I went to the NCL web site and did the web cam tour of the room, and yes it is tiny, I do understand that. But we are a close family, and the children are still young, so yes, we still think it will be fine, given the plans we have for this trip. My husband also are famous for our 'divide and conquer' techniques. Hubby handles boys, I take the girl, and we can stagger times in the room that way when readying for dinner or whatever. Will hubby and I miss alone time at night, I guess, but the kids are counting the days now till they see the kids' program. Who am I to deny them their own fun?? Sounds like the perfect time to sneak back to the room .....alone, right?
I just can't believe I have 364 days to go, how can I make it?!!?
Juliet

PS...the motorhome vacation is something we've never done, but that sounds like so much fun! We are avid campers here.
Old December 14th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Ah, but Juliet, you and your dh can *still* have that alone time - just not at night! When the kids are in the kids program you and your dh can explore your room!!

Have a great time!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old December 14th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Juliet

We totally plan on exploring lots of things when kiddies are happy in their zone. I still want to know why so many agents told me no to 5 in a room and the agent I went with found me a room on the Majesty for 5. I believe on cruisestaterooms.com it did not show where you could put 5, but on NCL's own web site, they seem to quite clearly show about 1/3 or more rooms will take 5. I'm assuming when it's not a suit, or room with an open up couch, we're talking about 2 lowers, 2 uppers and a roll away, as my agent described to me.
I have to admit I am going to once again ask my agent why the confusion the other agents have, since I still don't have a solid answer on this query.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I just want to be informed, so I can continue to make good decisions as we rack up all these cruises I just know we're going to start taking!

No one out there thinks it's possible for an agent to tell you 5 in a room is ok, then I will get to the ship and they will tell me no way and force me to pay for another room???? That's can't happen, right?
Thanks to anyone with a firm answer on that one.
Juliet
Old December 15th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Juliet - if your agent books you into a room that states it will hold 5 people , book that exact stateroom, don't book a guarantee. The ship cannot force you to move if you book a specific room that states it will accomodate 5. It will be tight and the bunks will most likely come down from the ceiling over your bed.
Old December 17th, 2003, 02:28 PM
steve777

Default Re: Re: 5 in a room or not?

As an alternative to wondering, try this:

Call NCL (or whomever) directly and get the information. Make the reservation. Then you will have the cruise line rep having made the booking for the cabin you want with the specified number of passengers having passed muster. If your agent has abetter deal (and they almost certainly will) you only have to pass the booking on to them with a phone call and they take it from there.

This way, you have the assurances that it's OK with the line. And FWIW, this will only be the first of many times when you will have different agencies tell you different things. Some are more important issues than others. This one is evidenly a biggie. I would do it with the line directly and reduce the propensity to error. You will still be able to get your deal from the agency of your choice.

Cheers, Steve