Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Yeoman

Default My first cruise, and I go it alone..

Boy am I glad I found this website! So, this is my situation...I've never been on a cruise before, though I've always wanted to. Everyone I know either has no interest in cruising, or they don't have to time or the money. I finally said "screw this" and I booked a last minute 4 day cruise aboard the Carnival Ecstasy going to Catalina and Ensenada on the week of jan 26 to jan 30. I'm very excited but nervous. I need any input anyone can give. If anyone knows what the weather will be like, anything about the reputation of the cruise line, any and all information will be very much appreciated. Also, I'm a 26 year old woman and I'm not bad looking...my boyfriend has been filling my head with horror stories about rapes and roofies and Carnival being known for bad things. Can anyone confirm these rumors? Basically, I want to have a blast but I want to be safe. Any info on anything would be helpful. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: My first cruise, and I go it alone..

What are roofies? Why doesn't your boy friend go with you if he is so concerned for your well being( with no good reason I might add, you'll be safer than at home).
A four day Carnival cruise will be a "party cruise" but what the heck , your're young and you'll have a blast.( may-be that's what's really bothering him).
Are you doing a guaranteed share? You might be able to meet some people to party with that way, if not there are still lots of ways to meet people.
The weather may not be HOT, but hopefully it will at least be warm, just keep checking the weather boards to see how it will shape up for your dates. Carnival is a casual line and a four day cruise will have a more casual crowd so don't worry about clothes too much, take a cute dress for dress up, but I wouldn't worry about buying a "formal gown".The rest of time just take your usual stuff for spring/summer, don't forget a windbreaker.
Where are you coming from, will you be flying in?
Have fun and good for you for taking the cruise!!! Don't ever let others hold you back from your dreams!
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:06 PM
On top

Default Re: Re: My first cruise, and I go it alone..

I ask the same question???????
Whats up with the boy Friend??????
why isnt he going? too cheap??? Now he fills
your mind with stories to scare you into not
wanting to go, Go Girl have a great time take lots of pictures,get phone numbers,Remember
what a great time you had. and just think he will never know what went on.
I strongly suggest you bring Several Bikinis
and make him Jealous when he see's the pictures.Keep in mind next march you can come on our cruise to the Carribean we group and go
often your welcome to come. We will make sure the Roofies or anyone else Doesnt bother you.
Have a great trip and please post when you get back what a fun time you had.Sorry Boy friend
your loss.
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Yeoman

I would still like to know what a "roofie" is.
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Gal1974 Send a message via MSN to Gal1974

A "roofie" is the date rape drug, below is a wbesite that tells about it

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/rohypnol.htm

Cathy, go for it. You should just go, just do it.

Carnival Celebration for my 30th birthday!!!!
Old January 9th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Admiral

good for you! have a blast - suggestion - ask to be seated at a large table for dinner, that way you will make instant cruisemates, who might just ask you to join them for their excursions.
Old January 9th, 2004, 10:49 AM
First Mate

Hats off to you!!! I think it takes a lot of guts to go it alone (especially for women) and I think it's great that you're doing it. I agree that asking for a large table for dinner is a good idea (maybe they have a table for single travellers as well). Usually, they have a singles night the first night. I know you're not single (although I have to agree with some of the comments about your significant other), but I think you could use that venue to meet others travelling alone. Whatever you decide, I think that YOU will have to be the one to go out and meet people. Because I'm fairly shy, I sat back and waited for people to come to me, and that never really happened. Luckily, I was travelling with a friend, so I wasn't lonely, but I really wish I'd been more outgoing to meet people. I hope you have a great trip - make sure you make the most of it!!
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:37 PM
cuterlmt

Don't worry, you'll have a great time. We just got back from the 4 day Ecstacy trip. And while I wasn't alone (hubby went with me), I spent some time alone, and felt totally safe the whole time. Now, I'm not 26, and I'm only cute.... But it was very safe. There are service people everywhere. You'll be fine. Don't drink too much, be safe. You'll be fine. You can always ask for assistance from security I'm sure. Catalina is VERY safe so you should be fine there. You might want to have a companion in Ensenada, or at least take the bus in and not walk the whole way. You might also want to have a companion if you plan on staying in Ensenada after dark. While I basically felt safe, I didn't like that I couldn't totally understand the language.
The weather was a little chilly - long pants until the last day when the weather was perfect.
Have a great time! If you have any more questions, please let me know!
Old January 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Yeoman

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! You have all really put my mind at ease. And discovering that cruisers all are so enthusiastic about their "on-liner" vacations made me realize that I will have no problem making friends, you all are so nice and friendly. And to answer a question some of you asked, yes my boyfriend is cheap, and bad with money, so it's no fun traveling with someone who doesn't have any money. He's been reading all the cruise literature I've been printing out and he realizes what he's missing. Anyway, thanks again you guys, and I'll post to let you know how it was. I'm so stoked!!
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:59 PM
On top

Hi Cathy,
Remember to take lots of pictures.
So when you come back,The Ex boyfriend
Has something to see, Get the cabin crew to
take pictures also and at the pool,hot tub,
Bar and everywhere else.
I hope you have a great time and enjoy yourself.
Not To add to the problem,but next year
we will be heading to the carribean in march
again!!!!!! Join our party group you wont be sorry.
Remember You only Live once!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 13th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Passenger

Wow, tell the B-freind to splurge and go with you!! What kinda wacky relationship has you on a cruise by yourself??? And since when are roofers that bad? Smelly, but not bad people in general...
Kevin
(before responding, I jest)

Old January 13th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: My first cruise, and I go it alone..

Thanks, you in particular have been most helpful at putting a positive light on my solo mission. The group cruise sounds great, but by next March I will be in the Coast Guard. But you know, there are military discounts on cruises, so we'll see. Is it a co-ed group? And you probably leave from Florida, right? Anyway, thanks again, you seem very cool, and I hope I run into people like you on my cruise!
Old January 25th, 2004, 02:00 PM
nbd

I hope you have a great time.
I am cruising for the first time with my husband who is returning from serving in Iraq in April. I am concerned about one thing. I have never cruised before (he has) and I am really worried about getting sea sick. Does anyone know about the patch that is supposed to prevent this and what its called?
Thank you so much for your help!
:-) Nina

Old September 14th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Passenger

I've had the exact same feelings and have made the exact same decision. taking a 4 day halloween cruise from miami on the fasination. I'm not worrying about a thing, it'll be great. Have never taken a train either, taking the train from columbia, SC to the party the night before the cruise to the party on the ship , then flying home. It's gonna be great, hopefully I'll meet some nice girls out to have a good time. I see all these posts about computers and faxes and extension cords, What ? It's vacation people. California next then australia. Look out world it's time
Old September 15th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Captain

forget the boyfriend and have great time
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Just a bit of advice on trains. Amtrak leases lines so freight generally gets first bill. That means you want to pad your arrival time by perhaps 2 hours if there is freight congestion. Enjoy the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie44
I've had the exact same feelings and have made the exact same decision. taking a 4 day halloween cruise from miami on the fasination. I'm not worrying about a thing, it'll be great. Have never taken a train either, taking the train from columbia, SC to the party the night before the cruise to the party on the ship , then flying home. It's gonna be great, hopefully I'll meet some nice girls out to have a good time. I see all these posts about computers and faxes and extension cords, What ? It's vacation people. California next then australia. Look out world it's time
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to purpledevilduck
Default Going it alone

It is nice to know I am not the only younger person, I am 22, who is stepping out and going on a cruise alone. I sail in 11 days for mine and I am looking forward to stepping of my norm. It sounds like you will be do great.
Carnival Valor Sept/Oct 2007
Carnival Freedom Jan 2010
Carnival Liberty Feb 2013

Old September 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Admiral

BTW, train newbie, laptops and cords go well on trains. Look for the seats with power (they are scarce in most cars) and bring a shortie cord that goes flat agaist the wall (sometimes remodelled cars have tight plug fits). The laptop can be used with your digital camera since there can be more to see from a train than a plane. If also you have a mapping program (say MS Streets and Trips) you can also track what you are seeing from the train to put scenery in context. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie44
I see all these posts about computers and faxes and extension cords, What me
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Passenger

So far I have a cabin to myself next year, but going with a huge family group. If I end up paying double to have the cabin to myself, so be it. I am not going to miss this because of money. I am not worried about any time I may spend onboard without one of the family members. Everyone else has a mate or buddy, and while I feel totally welcome, I do not want to feel like a fifth wheel all the time. I will be 62, so welcome, or not so welcome attention from the opposite sex is not expected to be a problem. BTW, my boyfriend refuses to fly. So he will stay home with his mother and take care of the dogs. Works for me!!