Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Passenger

Default embarksion day arrival questions

Can someone explain the embarkment a little better? My husband and I are leaving from New Orleans. We plan to drive there from Little Rock and would like to know at what time we should plan to arrive. We are not staying overnight in NO and would like to time it so that we arrive early enough to board the ship and not have to wait quite so long.

We plan to park at one of the garages there. We would appreciate information on the port parking if anyone is familiar with the area.

Also, considering the 8 hour drive back home, does anyone have any suggestions on how we can disembark quickly and get on our way so we arrive back home at a decent hour? Since we don't have a plane to catch, I am worried that they will make us one of the last to disembark.
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: embarksion day arrival questions

I have always driven to the ships for my cruises and I am answering from my own experience.

The time you arrive at the port has to do with what time your ship leaves. Mine have always left at 4:00 so I like to arrive at the dock by 11:00. This gets me on the ship fairly quick and then I can sit on the ship and relax, eat, or tour the ship. I have even taken a nap before.

Leaving the ship... Usually the passengers that have to catch a plane leave first then it goes in order of stateroom catogories. The lower the catagory, the longer you wait.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Yeoman

When we cruised on the Carnival Inspiration out of New Orleans, passengers were allowed to pick out their own luggage tags before disembarkation. They call groups for disembarkation based on the color of their luggage tags. Everyone has to be out of their cabins by 8:00 and wait in a public room until their color group is called. If you want to be among the first off, pick the color that goes with the most expensive rooms. Everything else being equal, they would not have to wait as long.

There is a fenced parking lot adjacent to the port. I think we paid about $7/day and everything was safe when we returned. However, since there are now 2 ships that sail from NO and the Conquest is larger than the Inspiration, it will fill fast, so you would need to arrive early if you want to park there.

Carnival Inspiration
Old January 20th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: embarktion day arrival questions

Thank you all for the good information! What would us newbies do without folks like you? Panic for one. I am such a planner!

Linda, Any chance you remember what color would be good one for leaving quickly?
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Conquest in October and we didn't get to pick a color. The room steward leaves certain color tags on your bed the day before. We were told at the debarkation meeting where to find additional tags in our color if we needed more. The tags are located just outside the doors of the Toulouse Lautrec Lounge. Our color was blue and we didn't have any say so in that. We were in room 7272, Category 11. They didn't call our color until 10:30 and I believe we were close to being the last group off the ship. Everyone in our color were the same people who had rooms in the forward section of the Empress Deck except for the people who had to catch planes. They get off earlier than anyone. I think they just draw the colors at random and call them out. Whoever gets lucky goes first. It was hurry up and wait that morning.

Old January 28th, 2004, 08:26 PM
First Mate

along the same lines as the original question... except, we're flying in, and I was looking into booking our own flights in... what time frame should I allow ourselves to give us embarkation time?? Our ship leaves at 4pm, so at the latest we should be at the dock at?????

Thanks, all!
Carrie
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Well, you don't have to be at the dock until about 3:00 at the latest but if you can get there before 12:00 it would be good. If you get there at 1:00 you will have about an hour to board.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: embarksion day arrival questions

thank you Thomas! That's exactly what I needed to know!

Carrie
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Frozen stiff in Canada

Just got back from cruise on Norwegian Sea (Jan 24-31). Sails out of Houston.
Sailing time was 4 p.m. but we got there about noon. Short line-up for tickets, etc. and out of there in a few minutes. Slightly longer wait in line for security check, etc. but made it on board in about 20 min. Lots of time to explore.
For de-embarkation: NCL has express departure option. We went through customs/immigration on board at 7 a.m., had breakfast and got our call shortly thereafter. Had to carry/drag all our luggage but we were driving out of the terminal building area before 9:30. Very quick, efficient. I was impressed.