Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:40 PM
Mare

Default Missing the Boat

Should I be nervous about booking a tour outside of Carnival ...re: missing the ship when it's time to leave?
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:24 PM
Leeia

Default Re: Missing the Boat

Hi..my advice is to use common sense when booking a tour operator, do lots of research and you should be fine.

My hubby and I went on our first cruise with RCCL last week. It was 11 days, and not ONE of our tours was booked with the ship..all of them were great!!

Many of the tour operators are experienced and will make every effort to get you on your way back to the docks in more than enough time.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have fun!
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Admiral

a lot depends upon what you are planning on doing. If you are going on a tour that involves boat transportation to a dive site for example, i would book with the cruise line just for the peace of mind that if something goes wrong and your boat breaksdown or whatever, the ship will wait for you to return, if you book on your own you are out of luck if you don't get back to ship before she sails. Most land tours you can do on your own with no problem, just allow yourself enough time to get back to the ship You should be on board 1HOUR BEFORE SAILING.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:08 PM
First Mate

Don't let it scare you - just be sensible. If the ship leaves at 4 and they ask everyone to be back on ship by 3:30, then don't book a tour that ends at 3:00. Leave lots of room. we booked mostly private tours and all was fine. Book the tour at the beginning of the day so if you have time left over you can get yourself back to the ship.
Old January 24th, 2004, 10:13 AM
HeySailor

Agree with the allow-lots-of-time rule, since most of the tours we've taken--ship's tours and others--ended half an hour to an hour after they were supposed to. You know Caribbean time! Just give yourself a window for errors and you'll be fine.
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Admiral

That reminds me about our last cruise on the Carnival Triumph and the CD said for us to NOT forget our camera when going ashore....That is so when the ship is pulling out and we're running to catch it we can take pics of it leaving us behind! OMG

We booked all our tours off the ship for our next cruise in March. You just have to make sure the times are right (as some ships switch times and others stay on the time of the port they left from)...and allow an hour at least to make it back to the ship in time.