Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:21 AM
MIKE 1256

Default SEASICK

Has anyone used the relief band for sea sickness, this an electronic device that sells for $75.00.
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to drjacktravel
Default Re: SEASICK

Save the $75 and go with a patch.
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:46 AM
BC Cruiser

I disagree. The patch can make you feel a little loopy. They advise against drinking while wearing the patch. Go with the $8. wrist bands or Bonine (tablet) Take the bonine for the whole cruise, once a day. You can drink while taking them. Just take the pill in the morning. If you go with the wrist bands, wear them from the time you get on the ship till the time you get off except for when you are in the shower. The earlier you put them on the better, the less you take them off the better.
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:53 PM
McCall

The Relief band is the greatest thing I have ever bought. It really really works for me and it is adjustable and no side effects, can't say that for the patch which you can not take if you have high blood pressure or if you drink. The thing is buy the one that you can replace the batteries or the rechargable one not the disposable one.
My husband and I swear by them.
They also help a great deal with stomach flu or medication nausea, they were originally designed for Cancer patients.
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Beginner

where can i! buy these seaband?
Also in Belgium (europe)
greetings
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Passenger

I bought my relief band online (went to google and typed in relief band). We're going on a cruise in June and I have motion sickness. I tried the relief band this spring break in the car on the way to Florida and was able to read with no nausea. I'm anxious to try it on the cruise. On thing...it has a black band and it rather like a big watch...it won't be attractive for formal night. Be sure to get extra batteries and the contact jel.

48 days til our cruise!!!1
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Admiral

This is just my experience..we just got back off of our first cruise..we used the patches.
We both have high b/p...it worked great for us and had no side effects even with a
moderate drink..they last 72 hours..and the last night they were life savers with the
rough seas..never used the others..just an observation. 6 for $50.00

Post Edited (04-22-04 09:50)
Old April 21st, 2004, 01:32 PM
Denise H

mike save the $75 the bodine realy do work and you can get them foe $3
at all stores save the other $72 and do something you want to do on your trip
happy sailing
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Admiral

I am very prone to motion sickness... very rarely can I ride in the back seat... that being said, I had my Dr write 3 prescriptions for our family patches... the closer the cruise got the more worried I became about patch side effects. So, I thought... Im a big girl... I can fight it (sea sickness).... WRONG ! I was perfect the whole first day... the next day WHAM ! Like a kick in the stomach ! I was horribly ill.... my hubby slapped the patch on my neck as I lay on the bed crying wanting to go home... the next day... good to go ! I will say that I had cotton mouth & blurry vision... hubby & son had to read menu & other items to me , if I tried to read Id feel dizzy ! Also... I did try to snorkel & that totally disoriented me... got my head under water & was totally confused which way was up or down & started to panic... BUT.... all in all.... I say the patch saved the rest of the trip ! My mother in law put hers on about the 3rd night... and she noticed she had a hard time concentrating ! We didnt stop using them until we completed our return flight home & I am still a bit "wobbly / weak" after almost 3 full days now.... Hubby says NO MORE CRUISING FOR YOU !! I said... WHAT ? I CAN LIVE WITH WOBBLY !!!

safe sails

Steph & guys
Celebration 05-04
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Seabands don't work for everyone, so don't count on them alone.

It's Bonine, not Bodine and is easy to find in any pharmacy. No noticable side effects, either. I've heard the patch can make you drowsy.

Bonine is also available from the purser's desk for free.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:19 PM
kelly0504

Just returned from my first cruise and my mom and I both used the patches and neither of us got sick at all and we had a few rough nights at sea (and several others on the ship did get sick). My insurance covered the patches for me, $20.00 copay for a box of 4. I would definately reccommend the patches. We also drank mixed drinks each day and the patches did not seem to effect either of us.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:04 AM
NeShea

If you have side effects from the patch, try only using half of the patch. My doc recommended this and it reduces the side effects, but still keeps you from getting sick.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
zeke

Default Re: Re: SEASICK

If you choose to use Bonine, I strongly suggest trying it at home before you go. I tried it & it left me feeling drugged out for a day & half. I had one day on cruise were the seas made me queeezy so I took a half tablet of bonine. It helped but still felt the drug...It didn't affect my wife this way though.. Next time I'll do the patch.
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Passenger

I used the patch last summer on my cruise and I would not cruise without it. I put my on the morning of our cruise. I had no side effects and I do get very carsick.
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Nyla

I agree with using the patch. Also if you get nauseated for any reason, seasick or from food you are not used to eating, suck on some peppermint candy to relieve nausea. Some doctors tell cancer patients experiencing nausea from undergoing chemo to do this, so it might work on a cruise too.
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

anyone use natural ginger pills?

Post Edited (06-30-04 13:08)

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old June 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
First Mate

Relax.. just keep the horizon in view...

MOM

Carnival Valor DEC19th.
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Jane Marlow

Bonine is meclezine and quite strong so it works well. Much stronger than Dramamine...Also ginger helps. Fresh ginger is best, but ginger candies are good as well.
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Passenger

I wore the patch for the entire cruise and the only side effect was dry mouth. I drank some alcholic drinks and no side effects. But, the night we had very rough seas the patch did me no good. I threw on my relief band and went to bed. I'd say the patch is probably 90% effective unless the seas are very rough. The seas were so rough that night that most people on the ship couldn't stand up to walk!! I would cruise again in a second, but I'd take my relief band and patch with me.
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:41 PM
Familiar Face

My husband is very prone to seasickness, due to an inner ear problem. He's tried ginger (capsules and candied) and sea bands (the elasticized ones), but neither helped. He swears by meclizine (generic Bonine-- also in non-drowsy Dramamine), but just to be on the safe side, I ordered him a Relief Band before our cruise last September. He never needed it, so we didn't get a chance to try it out. But a couple of months later, I... uh... overindulged, you might say. After worshipping the porcelain god for awhile, I remembered the Relief Band and put it on. Voila! Worked like an amazing charm! When my daughter suffered from morning sickness this past spring, I loaned it to her (after she got the ok from her doctor)... but it didn't help her. One thing I've found, though-- any skin cream will work just as well as the conducting gel they sell.

Old July 24th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Beginner

I can't realy speak for getting sea sick. Never have. Even running into that nasty storm coming back from the MED in'92. Walking on the walls, yes, Sea Sick, no. The crew members who were sensitive to sea sickness used patches that the Corpsman on the ship provided and seemed to do fine standing watch at sea. That being said, that ship was a US Warship and a whole heck of alot smaller than the cruisers at sea. The first Cruise we took was on the MS Imagination (Carnival) in the Carribean in May which is realy calm. The shipwas in motion but you could hardly tell that it was. Most people never noticed it. My wife didn't notice it at all. I could tell that the ship was moving but just bearly and only because Im used to being at sea.

I would recomment patches and use them if you realy feel uncomfortable. I tend to suspect you won't even notice the ships movement.

Enjoy your trip
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Bellasmom

While preparing to embark on a snorkeling cruise in Hawaii last year, we were worried that our 4 month pregnant daughter would suffer horribly from seasickness. She had had severe nausea throughout her pregnancy. I bought her a relief patch at Walmart. We encountered rough seas that day and we were all sick along with half of the passengers on that boat ! Not my daughter. She had a great time! No nausea whatsoever.
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Bellasmom

just a clarification. I didnt get the $75 band, I paid $7 for the elastic ones at Walmart.
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Beginner

well i get sea sick when i'm on a small boat i dont think you will need it at all if you do the have them at the front desk i have been on five cruises and never got sick on one yet
But when i get on land thats a differnt story all togeather

Old August 14th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk

To be on the safe side I took a Dramamine (less drowsy formula) every day and I was fine.

Rachel

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004