Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Johnson48

Default What to do with gear when snorkeling?

I have not seen this question posted (maybe I missed it).
When you are in port for the day with your beach bag/backpack of snorkeling gear, sunscreen, camera, etc., what do you do with it when the whole family wants to snorkel at the same time or when you are on the sting ray excursion? Are there lockers on the beach? Is it safe on the excursion boat?
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: What to do with gear when snorkeling?

Safe is a realitive term.

Everyone leaves everything on the boat / beach. Of course, that does not mean it is safe there. I just have a little faith in my fellow cruisers and the boat crew that nothing will be stolen. I have never had or heard of someone having a problem.

That being said, we try and pack just what we will need, and no more. If we plan to shop or something afterwards, usually we plan to go back to the ship first, restock, and head back out.

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:58 AM
mypugbuddy

My Mom and I were just wondering about the same thing. I guess it either comes down to taking turns in the water or just plain trust. It just is so hard to have trust in strangers in this day and age isn't it. Too many horror stories about muggings and theifs during the holidays.

Tammy
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Admiral

the excursion boats are safe. They have to be its their livelyhood. They would be out of business in a minute if word got around that things were being stolen on so and so's boat. Most beaches have lockers. Bring waterproof cameras and take them in the water with you, keep cash to a minimum only bring what you need for cab fare, lunch and some souveniors.
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Beginner

Ok its going to be our first time , if my husband & i go to warmer weather, how much does it cost to go snorking.. thanks cindy clwilson59@yahoo.com
Old March 10th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jablock
Default Re: Re: What to do with gear when snorkeling?

just don't bring anyhting to important....underwater disposable camera is great , and you can keep it with you. Nobody wants your clothes , so they are pretty safe.

Carnival Conquest
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Johnson48

Thanks to all of you for helping put my mind a little more at ease.
I am glad I stumbled onto this site. I have actually taken to having a notebook
next to the computer so I can write down all the great tips!
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:53 AM
mypugbuddy

That's a relief. I want to enjoy this (my first cruise) to the fullest and don't want to worry about small things like 'what should I do with my stuff when....' Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Tammy
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:19 PM
First Mate

clwilson, it's impossible to say how much it will cost to go snorkelling. depends where you are, what time of year, how many hours.... you'll need to look specifically for your ports of call
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

They sell these wonderful little waterproof containers at any dive shop. We leave everything on shore or in the boat and put our credit card, sail and sign card, ID, and money in the little container and it goes snorkeling with us. They have the kind that go around your neck or attached to your swimsuit. I've never had a problem with anything being taken, whether on the beach or on a boat. Like the above poster stated, it's their livelihood and they can't afford for anything like that to happen.
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:07 AM
jackigurl

Default Re: Re: What to do with gear when snorkeling?

Same as it cost to go in colder weather!! L.O.L.
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
victory Cruiser

Default Re: Re: Re: What to do with gear when snorkeling?

We bought a waterproof pouch for the waist. That way you swim with your money in a safe place. The pouch can hold a fair amount of things.
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Check this site for great water bags:

http://www.splashcaddy.com/
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:49 PM
MHC Girl

even if you don't go with the ship excursions, many places that rent you snorkling gear will have lockers to leave your stuff in- again, it takes a little trust in the people you are renting from, but I haven't had a problem. if you don't go with the ship snorkle rental shouldn't be more than $10-15 for all the gear for the whole day (plus of course taxi ride to the beach) if you are going to St Thomas try Coki Beach and the Coki Beach dive shop (if you are going with princess you will be using them anyway, if not, look them up online) they offer great rates including free pick up from the pier, and for a few bucks more they will give you a snorkle lesson and or tour of the reef- great for beginners- my friends really loved it! they also offer "resort course" diving for the slightly more adventerous (no certification needed) or really cheap rates on scuba diving for the experience ($60 for a two tank dive with a guide including all gear, or just $40 if you want to go on your own!) t hey also have very good, new and well maintained equipment.
have fun!
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:05 PM
Admiral

On our cruise in March we used Nativeways for the stingray tour.....The boat anchored right by where we held and fed the stingrays...we left everything on the boat while in the water. It was maybe 20 feet away from us.