Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Death Certificate?

I am traveling alone with my son (age 14) to the Western Caribbean on the Voyager. My husband is deceased. Do I need his death certificate as proof that I have permission to travel alone with my son? Please advise. Thanks.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM
kendra

Default Re: Death Certificate?

Yes...my mom and sisters were not allowed to leave the US for Mexico as my mother didn't realize she had to bring this documentation. After many hours of frustration, the airline flew them to San Diego, and put them on a bus to get across the border into Tijuana. From there, they flew to their final destination of Cancun (got there a day and a half later).
Old March 30th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Death Certificate?

Hi,
Never thought about that. Is that just if you are flying into that country or cruising also. We are leaving from Miami to Key West and Cozumel. Will I need DC?
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Admiral

good question, i know that husband and I had to sign a form,when we took our son on our last cruise. I know that if you are divorced you need a notarized letter from your ex-spouse giving permission to take your child out of the country. I would call a travel agent or the cruise line to get verification. I would say err on the side of caution and bring the death certificate.
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Hi,
Thanks for info. Figured the same, better to be safe. Friend is going month before us, same destination and situation. Will pass on info when she returns.
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I e-mailed Royal Caribbean and here is what they told me

"Parents or Legal Guardians with proper legal documentation who are traveling with their minor children and with the child's valid Passport (and valid Visa) or with a certified copy of the child's Birth Certificate will not be required to present the death certificate of his father."

I may just bring it anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:29 AM
kendra

and, what is the "proper legal documentation" that they are referring to?
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I e-mailed them with that same question. I'll let you know what they say.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Royal Caribbean said that as long as the child has a valid passport or birth certificate, and I have a passport or birth certificate, there should be no problem. The "legal documentation" they referred to was the passport/birth certificate.
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:24 AM
CF

I recently traveled on RCCL's Mariner alone(wife deceased)with my 6yo son, and I had no problems. When I booked, the booking agent(at RCCL) never said anything to me about traveling alone with him. I had to call back for something and the next agent I spoke with inquired about his mother and getting documentation from her. When I explained the situation, he said never mind. What is to prevent a divorced parent from saying the other parent is deceased? I bought the DC anyway eventhough we both had passports, and I didn't need it. We also traveled on Disney in September and did not need anything other than our passports. Other than the 2nd agent I spoke to at RCCL, who didn't seem to concerned, neither cruiseline asked about the other parent.
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info. I have the DC just in case I need it.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old June 27th, 2004, 05:45 PM
First Mate

I too am divorced and am cruising for the first time with my 14 year old son. My travel agent had me get a notarized letter from my ex-husband saying I could take him out of the country, and that he could leave the ship and participate on excursions. She said I would need this along with the normal documents to board.
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:25 AM
McCall

This is incorrect info and you will be required to have it, unless you get a person not doing their job. It IS a required document for those in such circumstances.
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to MysteriousVxin

What if you are married but the father is staying home and just the mother is taking the kids on the cruise? B/c one of my family memebers is doing that - does she need a note as well???

Past Cruises:
Sept. 5, 2004 - Norwegian Dawn
July 18, 2004 - Carnival Legend
Sept. 4, 2003 - RCCL - Serenade of the Sea
July 13, 2003 - RCCL - Nortic Empress
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I would get the note just to be on the safe side. It's much better to have it and not need it than to be asked for it and not have it.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:56 AM
aqusis

I think the issue is where your cruise is going. Mexico is one country that requires to show proof that a single parent has permission to take a minor child outside the country. The US doesn't require such documentation to leave the country but some other countries require it and you won't be allowed to board. I had a friend and her son travelling with us last year. This child has never known his father and my friend hasn't seen him since before she gave birth. Now 9 years later she had to find him to get his permission (and notarization). She was asked for it at check in at the port. She had spoke with RCI ahead of time and was made aware that of the ports on our itinerary, Mexico was the reason she had to do this.
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Admiral

I travelled with my son to the Bahamas and we needed no such documentation. Maybe it depends on the country - sounds like Mexico might be one that requires such documentation.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 10th, 2004, 04:03 PM
CeeCee

I traveled with my 12 y-o son to Canada last year (dad stayed home) and did not need anything other than his birth certificate. They never inquired about his father when going through customs. I find it ironic that Mexico requires this documentation but -- nuff said -- I won't get into that discussion here.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just to reply to my own message -- I just came back from the Voyager cruise and was not asked for a death certificate or anything else, since my son had his own passport.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Passenger

I cruised on the VOS with RC last March with my 11y.o. son and only had a birth certificate for him and myself. I also got him a State I.D. with his picture on it and no one questioned me about him. If fact, the customs guy said it was a smart idea to get him a state i.d. Our addresses matched along with his date of birth(with his b.c.) and my name on his i.d. I did not have a passport for either of us. Hope this helps ease your mind. I was nervouse about this on my first cruise also.