Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
Passenger

Default are dogs allowed on cruises?

Are there certain cruise lines that do allow dogs? I was at first interested in taking a cruise on a freighter ship (they offer accomodations, like a cruise ship) but they do not seem to allow pets. Is this also true for cruise ships?
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:46 PM
Patrice

Default Re: are dogs allowed on cruises?

I surely hope not!!!! There should be certain places that pets shouldn't be allowed and I'm glad cruises are one of them. IMO
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Maybe seeing eye dogs are allowed but regular pets...I doubt it.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:47 AM
Admiral

Can you imagine of 3,000 plus cruisers each brought a dog - lol - talk about a poop deck - TTFN Jennifer
Old April 3rd, 2004, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I know they allow "service" animals, such as seeing eye dogs, etc., but no to regular pets, even when cruising with a service dog, there is a lot of restrictions and red tape to go through.. I'd love to take my dog on a cruise, but just won't happen.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Actually they do not allow service animals. There is no place for them to "go". The cruiselines can get away w/ this b/c most cruise lines are not American flagged & therefore are not subject to our anti-discrimination laws or the requirements that people be reasonably accomodated. As it switches to American flagged ships, NCL is struggling w/ some of these issues.

I don't know about freighters, but especially transatlanctic, I imaging they have the same problem.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:34 PM
Yeoman

They do allow service dogs and it was on cruisemates where I read about it. A disabled person with a service dog is allowed to cruise with them. They set up a 6 or 7 foot square litter box for them to "go' in. It is usally in a closet or some where away from most of the public. They are a "part" of the disabled person. The one lady who was writing about it said her malamute huskie was the "hit" of the cruise. Everyone fell in love with her dog.

Luanne

Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
judycruiser

Default Re: Re: are dogs allowed on cruises?

Dogs are allowed on the QE2. There is a kennel aboard. Check the Cunard board under Cruise Lines on this Cruisemates website.

Judy
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Yeoman

i can only say i am glad carnival does not allow it. i work with the human kind of animals ( my co-workers ) and i go on cruises to get away from them. i cant imagine being on a ship for 7 days with the real ones. no offense to all of you dog lovers but a ship is no place for animals unless they are a seeing eye dog.
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Madcow

there was a seeing eye dog on my carnival legend cruise
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:28 PM
my $.02

I had a seeing eye dog on Serenade of the Seas. They do allow them. THese perticular people or the cruise line, had a wooded "box" about 1/2 the size of the balcony with wood chips in it for the dog to go.
Old April 11th, 2004, 08:07 PM
cmh89

most ships you can only have service dogs
Old April 13th, 2004, 05:12 PM
theCoach

Default Re: Re: are dogs allowed on cruises?

I can assure you that Carnival DOES allow seeing eye dogs.

The last thing I would want to do on my cruise with my wife is take my dog with me. I am cruising with my wife who will accompany and guide me on our cruise. I can't imagine the trauma of my dog travelling in a plane for 6 hours then being on a ship.

Besides the dog must be familiar with its surroundings in order to work effectively. This just seems silly to want to take my dog with me.
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:23 AM
davidkade

Carnival will allow anything.....
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Jodie

hhmmm... interesting topic.... and as much as I loved our 170lb neapolitan mastiff, I'm thinkin' that my fellow cruisers just wouldn't appreciate the drool !!!
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:16 PM
bugaboo

I truly love my dog, but one can never assume everyone else will. Good reason not to allow pets. If they start that, soon people will be bringing their pet snakes and pigs too. Find a good kennel.
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:28 AM
trish1c

There's a thread on another board about a service dog who jumped in the pool after his master & b/c the poor animal was soo hot. The crew, the line & the other passangers were not amused. They had to drain & refill the pool.

Even w/ that unexpected "problem" I'm glad to know I was wrong & that people who rely on these wonderful service animals can bring their beloved helpers on vacation too.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Passenger

no offense, but i just though "wow, that is the most redneck thing I have ever heard". this was when I first read the topic

i could just picture a guy with a mullet and a trucker cap, sitting in a flannel shirt and cutoffs by the pool with this hound a budwiser. made me laugh out loud!

like theCoach said, a dog has to know thier surroundings, and be able to manuver. I think 3000 people in large crowd on an unknown ship would confuse the hell out of the dog. not to mention I don't want to stumble down to my room at 5 am and land in a pile of sh*t!
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Phyllis Odle

We have a dochshund that is well trained. Are any cruiseline allowing pets these days?
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:58 PM
First Mate

why on earth would someone want to take their dog on a cruise?? I'm a huge animal lover, but I can't imagine the stress that this would put on the dog - being on a moving vehicle with no grass and no where to go! I know dogs can get stressed by leaving them at a boarding facility, but are you kidding me about bringing them on the ship?? To me, this is the same as the people who take their dog for a car ride on a really really hot day and then leave them in the car while they go do their errands. They make it sound like the dog would be heartbroken not to go - give me a break - the dog would be much happier at home where it's not 1000 degrees! Even if the dog really begs to go, we are the humans - we should know that this is not in the dog's best interest. I really hope that there aren't any cruise ships that allow dogs on board. How terrible for the poor dogs!!
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Ok Guys,
Lets settle down and be nice. While its fine to disagree, we want these boards to be friendly with no personal attacks, we all have our own opinions, right or wrong, but they should not get nasty and personal......

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:07 PM
bmwbzz

Has there been any concensus on whether (non-service) dogs are allowed on any cruise lines. I may be relocating internationally and it is unsafe for my pug to fly (which might be a reason someone would bring a dog on a cruise). So I thought I might be able to arrange travel with a cruise. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Rebecca
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:45 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Rebecca - This is a wonderful question. I would check with Cunard - as a previous poster said, they do have a kennell onboard. Best of luck to you finding accomodations for the little guy!

This is NOT like leaving a dog in a car as you go to run errands, this is totally differnt. Let's learn some respect here please, folks.

Old July 13th, 2004, 08:37 PM
joto

I wouldn't mind having our dogs on a cruise but we would have to fly a long way just to get to a port. I don't think the dogs would be too happy with that part of it, so I would just have to leave them at the kennel as usual.
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Zack

Some dogs might behave better than some of the children I've seen on cruises. But, please leave your dog at home or stay with him. Otherwise the rest of the cruisemates might nickname him shark bait with cause.

I doubt the odds would be in your favorite than your cabin neighbors will enjoy hearing your dog bark in the early morning hours and where will he go to take a whiz when you take him for a walk?

Get a grip and a sitter!
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:05 PM
cruiseprincess0162

When we were on the oosterdam in mid June we had 2 seeing eyedogs on board with us. it was very interesting. The ship set up a little area for the dogs to go to the bathroom in the back on one of the crew decks.
Jenna
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Passenger

I have a monkey, what do you think?