Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2004, 08:37 PM
stuff&things

Default Personal items on excursions

Okay - when i get off the ship in Mexico, for instance, I will want to take my passport and children's passports with us, correct? If I do, where do I put them while we snorkel? Where does one leave one's personal items when snorkeling or parasailing or whatnot?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Personal items on excursions

Does the cruiseline recommed taking your passport in Mexico? I never have, never thought about it. I do have a photo ID and my seapass, but that is it.

As far as personal items, we always take the minimum amount of stuff, and what we do take just stays on the beach or on the boat.

They do make waterproof wallets for credit cards and money etc. You can usually pick them up at dive shops or on-line.

Chuck

Old April 12th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Admiral

unless things have changed, you will not need your passport on shore. As long as you have your sign and sail card and your photo id you should be fine.
Most beaches have lockers for rent. Excursions are very safe,stick to mainstream operators -- they have to be, the cruise ships & tourists are their "bread & butter". Bring a beach tote or backpack, & your ships towel, put belongings in the towel inside the tote.
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Sea of Dreams

You won't need your passports under normal circumstances. If there is any chance that you would miss the ship you may need the passport to get off the island. I would at least take a color photo copy of the passport, I'm not sure if that would be enough to get you off some islands, but will give the US Consulate the numbers in needs to assist you.
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Denise H

do you have a triple AAA near you in ther travel shop thy have water proof pouches
ther may by lewisnclark or try there websie lewisinclark.com
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Familiar Face

We bought little waterproof containers (mainly because we are smokers) but used it only in the Underground rivers in Xcaret to hold cigs and money, at Chakanaab we just put everything in our beach bag and left it on shore, under our towels in the chairs. Nothing was bothered, including an expensive digital camera. I stressed over this too, but really didn't have any problems.
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:55 AM
First Mate

The cruise line (Carnival) took our passports at the beginning and we never saw them again until the end of the cruise. So there was no issue - you didn't have them to take. best advice - don't take any valuables when snorkelling but you can leave your things on the boat. generally, you're able to see the boat at all times.
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:41 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Took your passport?!? Thats kind of iffy, isnt it?
We are going into Canada and I would like to have it with me on land in case I need it. Is that normal Carnival procedure? Can you choose to keep it??

~Carey

Old April 20th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Denise H

i found in my triple AAA store water proff poches for $4.50 here also a web site for ordering travel items the web site is LewisnClark.com hope this helps
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Passenger

AAA says that you should not take your Passport off the boat. They are the most sought after document in the world. They recommended that I take my drivers license and boat card with me (and one of the handy waterproof neck wallet thingys) and leave my passport in the safe in my room. If you really feel you need your passport with you maybe take a copy with you but leave the real thing safely locked up.

Old May 24th, 2004, 06:12 PM
hwireman

I will be going to the Eastern Caribbean and am concerned about wearing my hearing aids for the 3 beach days. If I go to the pool here at home I can still keep an eye on my stuff so I know my bag won't get taken. I just don't know what to do with them at the beach and I will be completely deaf for the day if I leave them on ship. Do any of the beaches in St Thomas Nassau and/or St Martin have lockers or secured areas for personal belongings?
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Passenger

hwireman,

I am sure there are beaches with lockers. You may want to look into the waterproof bags like they put cameras in. Your aids would be with you when you needed them. The bags float if for some reason they come loose from your neck. Credit card sized bags start at about $5 and camera sized bags start at about $20. Just a thought if you might want them close to you.