Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Passenger

Default Deck Chair Etiquette

Hi, my first cruise was on Carnival Fascination in Feb 04, so I'm still "green" on how some things work on cruises. I guess I was naive, but when we went up to one of the pool decks, I assumed there would be plenty of chairs. Alas, I was irritated to find that EVERY SINGLE chair on EVERY deck space was unavailable. It's not that they were full of people: half had people in them, and half just had people's stuff and were being "reserved."

I quickly learned that the only way my wife and I could sit in the sun, was for me to go up on deck around 8a.m. and put towels, books, sandals on a couple chairs. I felt sleazy doing this, but when in Rome.....

Is this normal and accepted behavior on all cruise lines, or just a Carnival thing?

We're going on the Norwegian Crown in June, and I'm hoping that because it's smaller and fewer people, chairs won't be such a problem.....or am I deluding myself?
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Deck Chair Etiquette

Hi Danny,
Yes, this seems to be a problem on all the major cruiselines, one of my biggest gripes..

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Not just on cruiselines Donna, a friend reported the same occurence at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas, he said the reserving began as early as 4 am.
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Also, as a somewhat related aside: we went to Punta Cana Dominican Republic 3 years ago and stayed at the Iberostar. That was the first time I'd ever experienced chair "reserving" at a land resort. The vast majority of guests were European, particularly German, with only a few English speaking guests. Every morning starting as early as 6a.m., beach chairs and Palapas were staked out and reserved.

I assumed this was a uniquely European cultural thing, since I'd never seen it anywhere else, until the Carnval cruise.
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Passenger

If you move the things on the chair after wating a reasonable amount of time, where do you put them....not just chucking on the deck I presume.....

And what happens when the reservees come back looking to lounge. Are there altercations and how do you handle them?

Will the cruise staff back you up and enforce the no reserving policy if you bring them into an argument?
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Doug,
OMG, 4AM, thats totally nuts! Guess the problem is more than just on cruise ships?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:57 AM
First Mate

This is NOT a "uniquely European cultural thing" as I have experienced the chair hog issue on my last (and first) cruise in early April due to large American families. They must have taken turns on getting up early each morning to stake out the whole front section of chairs right in front of the family pool. Within the first couple of days the chair I was sitting in was taken over by someone when I got up to use the ladies room and another to get some coffee. Since my kids are teens I felt it unnecessary to subject myself to this nonsense. I hung out at the Aft pool (adults only) where chair hogs don't exist.

I travel alot in the Caribbean and find this chair hog business to exist no matter where and mostly by people who travel in big groups from the US.
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Admiral

its an industry-wide problem. The cruise lines post signs all over the place around the pools, but most people ignore them. Its almost impossible to find a lounge close to the main pools during the day.
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:21 AM
my $.02

I have seen people put items left on chair's someplace else and just blame it on the someone else!!

No altercation, and you have your chair.

Personally, I go up at 8am and just lay there all day. It is all fair and no one gets hurt.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:32 PM
Passenger

if you see 60 chairs taken up, and not 60 people in the pool or hottub, wait about 15 minutes, then chuck some stuff down the aisle or take them to the towel bin, then claim your new spot. if somone comes back, tell them the staff moved them at your request, because chair hogging is against the rules. then f*ck 'em!
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Deck Chair Etiquette

Just got back from a full ship on the Navigator, there were plenty of chairs available if you didn't mind being on the deck above the pool, just a short stairway and you're there.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old August 17th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: Deck Chair Etiquette

Was in Cozumel in March at the ElCoz resort. We stayed out late at Senior Frogs arriving back at 3am. Although I was half looped (okay totally looped) I had to laugh at the chair hogs- several out at 3 AM!!! One woman put flip flops 1 ea on at least 20 chairs!!! Amazing
Old August 17th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Passenger

I have been twice to an all inclusive in Puerto Vallarta and yes, the "reserving" of deck chairs and Palapas started very early in the day. My DH and I were usually able to get a couple even after breakfast and often didn't see anyone come back for the ones they "reserved" for many hours and for some, just to pick up their stuff at the end of the day. The resort also posted signs but were never enforced. I am dissappointed to hear we are likely to have this same problem on our upcoming Diamond Princess cruise.
Sue

Post Edited (08-17-04 20:15)