Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:10 PM
Passenger

Default arriving the day of your cruise

is it a major no no to arrive the day of a cruise?? Our flight arrives at 10:00 am and our cruise leaves at 4:00pm. are we taking a huge risk. I thought we left plenty of time for possible delays. what do you think?

on the Norwegian Spirit!

Carnival Triumph 5-04
Carnival Sensation 3-00
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: arriving the day of your cruise

I have the same concern. We are arriving the same day of our cruise at 1:00, for a 5:00 sailing. Our TA assured that was enough time. Now, I'm wondering. We had been to Vancouver before, and didn't feel a need to stay an extra day. Are we going to be sorry???
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think you'll be OK, but make sure to take out travel insurance...We too are leaving on our next cruise the same day and arrive at 11:00AM for a 5:00PM cruise. When ever possible I like to fly in a day early, but in some cases we just can't, so this will have to do, but I will buy the insurance as a safe guard, you just never know.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Some people swear by arriving a day early. I think it's a function of the time of year; there are more chances of a weather delay in the winter. However mechanical breakdowns do happen.

Assuming all goes well, you should be fine. On our last cruise, we arrived at the airport early & flew standby for no extra $$. We got a much earlier flight & it was great.

On the better safe than sorry plan, if you are flying the day of, get insurance that pays for you to catch the ship if you miss it.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:01 PM
Admiral

totally agree with the others. The earlier you can get in the better, just to be on the safe side. If you book your air with the cruise line you will be all set- they will wait for you. Buy the insurance. You should be ok.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:44 AM
Admiral

it is always safer if you arrive one day earlier. it wouldn't nice if after
waiting six months for your cruise. your plane arrive late . and you miss the ship.
It has happen to me as I was waving to the ship as it left port 10 minutes before i got there. never again will I arrive on the day that I am schedule to leave. Also arriving
one day earlier pre cruise just makes your holidays one day longer!

Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

On our last cruise we flew in a day early and everything went fine. On the flight home however we experienced major delays. You never know when or for how long a delay will be. I once sat in an airport for over six hours as our flight had engine problems and they had to reroute another flight for us. If you are flying in the day of your cruise make sure you buy travel insurance.
Old June 4th, 2004, 09:38 PM
zeke

Default Re: Re: arriving the day of your cruise

Also, by arriving the day before you can rest up from the flight & be ready for your cruise the next day. We flew into Miami the evening before our cruise, got a good night sleep knowing we were there with our luggage. The next day we got up, ate breakfast , and was ready to get on the ship, with no stress.
Old August 7th, 2004, 08:53 AM
alaboard

living in new york city traveling in nov. not knowing what kind of weather might be we are leaving a day early. not happy about spending the extra $$$ but peace of mind sure makes it worth it
Old August 7th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to felway17 Send a message via Yahoo to felway17

I arrived for my last cruise same day... and my next cruise will be same day....

I fly from NYC to Orlando.... it seems with all the different airlines.... it seems there is a flight from JFK to orlando alomsot every hour...so plenty of options in case something happens.

Old September 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Bad weather can interrupt all flights - so having 6 or 8 hours to spare from the time you arrive to cruise departure time isn't really a that much security. At least with plans to arrive a day ahead, you have an extra day to get there if there is bad weather. It is a personal thing though - how risk adverse are you?

My thoughts are this - if you live further than 5 hours drive from your port of departure, arrive the day before. You can always drive if you miss an early flight, but if you're in Waterloo Ontario (yeah.. right, where is that.. well this is my thinking so it is my scenario .. ) and you're departing from Tampa (20 hour drive - WITH NO STOPS - I've got three kids, there will be stops unless I drug and diaper them and drive a fuel tanker) you don't have time to drive if there are huge weather interruptions in your general area making air travel on that day impossible. Besides, you can get a great deal on a hotel through Price Line and a number of other sites, you get to rest up, see the port city, arrive at the port early and really enjoy getting to know the ship before you go and know that your holiday will be a bit smoother sailing because you're at the port before your ship even arrives.

Happy holidays to all!

Tracey
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

We live in CT & going on our first cruise in April, 2005. Anyone who lives in any place that has crazy winters (in my opinion) should leave a day early. We're leaving 2 days prior for Puerto Rico only because we want to avoid any potential winter storms that always seem to happen in April and check out Puerto Rico as well.

Better safe than sorry!
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:23 AM
First Mate

People always talk about winter storms however thunderstorms and mechanical issues delay planes also. How many people have never been delayed on a plane probably no one. Frankly I just prefer arriving a day early and staying a day later. That way my luggage has a better chance of getting to me and on departure I do not have hours waiting at the airport. Just a personal preference. The cost is worth the peace of mind to me.