Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:49 PM
First Mate

Default Advice for Newbies Re: Insurance

Booked our 1st cruise(Alaska, mid-Aug), on-line, on a whim. Have found this website extremely helpful for 1st time cruisers. Each time I log on, I feel more confident, better informed.

But, I did NOT buy the insurance. I routinely book airline tickets on a non-refundable basis and assumed ,naively?, buying cruise insurance was in that same vein.

I note as I read thru threads, it might be advantageous to have this insurance to secure that if you've got a flight delay, the ship waits for you, or may make arrangements for folks to "catch up" at another port?

I've pre-paid, trip is mid-August. I do, now , plan to call princess re: insurance, but, naturally, am cautious about sales pitch.

So, "Veteran Cruisers," I'm hoping you'll clear up the trip insurance mystery for the 1st timers. Why do we need it? How has it helped you? Do you always buy? Do I still have time to buy? Please note: I'm not afraid to be called a fool and should have bought it!

Marty
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Advice for Newbies Re: Insurance

Insurance is one of those things that require you to evaluate your personal level of risk. Are you a gambler?

You've plunked down how much $$ for this trip? Do NOT answer that on this board. You are now being asked to pay a fraction of that price to protect your investment. Can you afford to lose the entire amount & not go on the cruise if you or someone you love gets in a car accident on the way to the AP? Do you want to risk that no one will get hurt?

For me it's beome a karma thing. If I buy it I won't need it.

Family members, not on a cruise, were in a horriffic accident abroad a number of years ago. Airline transportation home for the most seriously injured person was $9,000! That doesn't count medical treatment in that country which had to be paid in CASH.

If you read these boards enough you'll find somebody complaining b/c they didn't have the insurance & a family member got sick or died.

My only concrete advice is, if you decide to buy the insurance, but it from anybody EXCEPT your cruise line. Read the fine print & hopefully the people here can offer suggestions. I've heard www.insuremytrip.com is good but I do NOT have personal knowledge.
Old May 8th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Marty,
Yes, I would start checking into the different travel insurance companies and find the best policy for you. I've always purchased the insurance and until our last cruise never had to make a claim. I was glad to learn that it does pay off, husband had an accident and needed medical treatment while in Grand Cayman, once our regular insurance paid their portion, the travel insurance company picked up the rest. We were fortunate that we didn't not miss the ship, but it was close, I could imagine the cost in that.

So, don't be a fool, get the insurance, there are instances where if injured, you may need to be transfered by helicopter to a near hospital and that could run into the thousands, where our regular health coverage would not cover anything like that.

Here are some links for travel insurance companies and you can compare:

CSA Travel Insurance

Access America

Travel Guard

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 9th, 2004, 12:56 PM
First Mate

I buy insurance all the time. On 2 occasions, it has saved me a lot of money.
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Admiral

we always buy the insurance. The top two coverages you should have are trip cancellation and medical evacuation.
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Advice for Newbies Re: Insurance

I agree, in comparison to what you're spending for your vacation, the insurance isn't at all expensive. And the assurance you get from insurance is well worth it, even if you don't end up needing it.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Yeoman

"Don't leave home without it !!"
SSaFWs..ED
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Yeoman

Marty,
One thing that you mentioned above in your message is a flight delay. If you book your air on your own, even with cruise insurance, the ship will not wait for you the day of sailing with a flight delay. The only time it will wait is if you book your air through the cruiseline. The cruise insurance, however, is a good idea for medical emergencies and trip cancellation. We always book our own air and usually fly in a day or two before our cruise. Our "insurance" for not missing the ship is a night or two in a hotel in the city of embarkation. This way if we miss a flight or delayed, we still have at least one day before the ship leaves.

Luanne

Old May 20th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Micheled

I purchased the travel insurance from the cruise line. Was that not a good decision? What is a good insurance that people have used in the past? Do you think that I could cancel what I paid already?

On another note. I was told that if someone is sick on a cruise they put them in quarintine. Does anyone know if this is right? Kinda scary to me.

Thanks
Michele

Serenade of the Seas: Alaska
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:18 AM
stewy

Hey Marty
Booked a Honeymoon cruise for a year ago last Feb. Broke my leg , 2 weeks before the wedding got married in a wheelchair and had to skip the Honeymoon. would have lost thousands!! Pay the 2 or 3 hundred cause you never know!!!
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Michele, depends upon what the sickness is when it occurs on board. If it is a stomach type virus, then yes they will quarantine you to your cabin, and come in and disinfect your cabin. You have to fill out all kinds of forms, record what you eat, what and where you have eaten for the past 48hrs before you got sick. You order a special meal from room service - usually lasts only 24hrs.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:32 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the information. Now let's hope that nothing like that happens to my hubby or I.

Can someone answer my other questions too please?

thanks so much
Michele

Old May 29th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Debbie Nelson

I just bought some at insuremytrip.com. It was pretty reasonable, and you can insure your whole trip - even the air and hotel etc. that you book separate from the cruise. You can pick and choose what coverage you want..you can include rental car, but that made it way higher for us, the other coverage (medical, evacuation, baggage, delays, etc were priced anywhere from 150-390) for my specific trip. That price covered 4 people.
Debbie
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

DEFINITELY get some insurance! A couple of years ago, I fell and fractured my leg while on vacation (not a cruise..but that's beside the point). It was bad enough that I had to have immediate medical attention and get the leg set before I could travel home. The ER and ambulance did honor my regular health care insurance...no problem. However, the orthopod that set my leg required payment...upfront to treat me because they would not recognize my regular group insurance. (I did find out that they would have accepted travel insurance if it covered medical but I had not purchased any) The bill was almost $700. I did have the cash in my bank account, but don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had it. This was not in some foreign exotic location either...it was in Tucson, AZ and I live in Oklahoma. You never know what can happen...the fall was just a freak accident that could have happened anywhere. Now, I never travel without some kind of travel insurance.

Old May 31st, 2004, 01:49 AM
Passenger

What is the difference of insuring your trip with the cruise line or with a private insurance? Should I go and cancel the insurance (if I can) with the cruise line and get private insurance?

Thanks
Michele

Old June 16th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Passenger

I wasn't going to get insurance, but after reading all of this I think I will. Don't want to tempt fate.

Destiny
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
First Mate

Thanks to all who responded to this message!!! I am truly grateful and I have heeded the advice of many of you and purchased insurance online thru Access America. Since I had already paid my full fare...Princess wouldn't sell insurance to me. And, from your learned posts, that was a blessing!!??!! Wasn't that expensive......well worth the FEW good night's sleep until I first cruise on August 15th!!! The rest of the sleepless nights will be from excitement! This site is a terrific resource for cruisers, esp lst timers. Much thoughtful advice!! Thanks!! Marty
Old June 26th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Yeoman

I think the difference in getting it through the cruise line is supposed to be that they don't cover every eventuality. If they are the ones to cancel (like if they went bankrupt), then you lose out. The cruise line does offer more leeway in coverage if you just change your mind and don't go. Our TA recommended getting it privately. I've also read that some posters had trouble getting reimbursed (long time and lots of red tape) from the cruise line. This might be true anywhere though. We bought from insuremytrip.com this time. They allow you to compare policies from a bunch of insurers. Also, they have a link to ratings of the various insurance companies. We figured that if it had a good rating, it was probably pretty safe. Just be sure that you are buying coverage that is pretty comprehensive. And when you compare, compare apples to apples.

Carnival Inspiration
Old June 26th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Merri

We aren't big risk takers, yet we aren't huge on extra insurance policies in regular life.
Even so, we did not hesitate to take out travel insurance. We definitely bought it. How horrible it would be to lose out on a refund, if an emergency were to happen.
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Advice for Newbies Re: Insurance

> You've plunked down how much $$ for this trip?
> Do NOT answer that on this board.

Just a question about this: Why shouldn't folks indicate how much they paid for their trip? Isn't sharing information about how much things cost the best way of learning how much one should pay, in order to get the best deal possible?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Jane_Marlow

Of course I buy insurance and a waiver. Would you drive without insurance?