Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Default weird documentation question

Looking for help with a very odd documentation question. My husband and I are about to go on our first cruise. We recently got his birth certificate for documentation purposes and found, to our surprise, that his last name is spelled differently on his birth certificate than he has spelled it everywhere else, including picture id. I'm wondering if this is going to cause us problems. Anyone had this happen? Or know what to do about it? Time is short - we cruise on April 2nd!
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: weird documentation question

Contact the cruise line you are sailing. Explain this to them and ask them how to handle it. You don't want to have problems the day you arrive for your cruise!
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: weird documentation question

Get a name of who you talked to when you call. No two people seem to say the same thing at the 800 numbers.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM

What is his real last name? How are the last names of his parents spelled on the birth certificate are they the same as his. If not there is a typo on the birth certificate which should be corrected. The cruise line has no control over US customs or immigration and he is going to have to go through that to get back into the us.

He should
1) contact the place which issued the birth certificate and ask to have the typographical error on the birth certificate corrected or
2) go to your his motor vehicle department and ask to have the typographical error on his drivers license corrected. or
3) go to the passport office and try to get a passport, if it is close enough to the cruise a passport can be issued on the same day (for an extra fee)
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:09 PM
teenytine

I was told by my travel agent the names on your tickets must be spelled exactly like birth certs. I would definatly try to get a passport. I expidited mine for 30 dollore more, and recived it within 8 days. I was also concerned with my birth certificate because my parents had failed to give me a first name legally, my birth cert. read, (Girl and last Name), I finally named myself at age 19. Any how, they accepted my birth certificate without a first name on it and an amendment form attached, so I would give it a try.Let us know what happens.. Good Luck
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Admiral

>>1) contact the place which issued the birth certificate and ask to have the typographical error on the birth certificate corrected or
2) go to your his motor vehicle department and ask to have the typographical error on his drivers license corrected. or
3) go to the passport office and try to get a passport, if it is close enough to the cruise a passport can be issued on the same day (for an extra fee)>>

I'd go with #3.

#1 - they will not "correct" your birth certificate. Your birth certificate is the final word on your "real" name. Getting a birth certificate corrected is a lengthy and expensive legal process.

#2 - you need a birth certificate in addition to your DL. Having a corrected DL is not enough.

#3 the problem with getting a passport will be that the name on your birth certificate IS your legal name, but you can try getting them to issue you a passport with the correct name.

Good luck!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04