Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Passenger

Default What ID for 5 year old?

Going on our first cruise in Feb 2005, I have a certified copy of my son's birth certificate but no picture ID. I mean what kind of picture ID does a five year old have?

Also I am going with my children, one eighteen and my five year old. Hubby refuses to go. He says they would HAVE to pay him to get on the boat. So do I really need a notarized statement from my hubby stating he (my son)can leave the country?

Also my eighteen year old only has an expired learner's permit as she has not been able to pass her driving test, so is she going to be ok?

Post Edited (09-13-04 12:39)
Old September 13th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: What ID for 5 year old?

Donna, you can go to your local DMV and get a non-driver's picture ID. for that matter your 18yr old can get one as well, they aren't usually expensive ($5 maybe). And you should get a notorized letter stating your husband gives you permission to take a minor child out of the country.
Old September 13th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

You should get the notarized statement from your husband. I recall reading a post where someone else was told by the cruise line to be able to produce such a document if asked.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old September 13th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Rafael

all you would need is a certified copy of the birth certificate or the original. that's all the documentation you need. now about the letter, it is always suggested to have a notarized letter not only cause you are taking the child out of the country but for medical purposes as well. If something happens to the child on the trip the letter would give you the ok to ok a medical attention the child would receive if not they will not do anything. you do not need a photo id.

Hope that helps.
Old September 13th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Passenger

Thanks, I want to have all my bases covered. My husband is being a butt about the letter so I said fine you can have the pleasure of his company for the six days I will be gone!

Yeehah!

He will change his mind though...

Old September 16th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

You will need the letter for the cruise. Your son won't need any picture id, the BC is fine. You can freely authorize medical attention on your own. How come he wouldn't sign the letter? That sounds a little silly. He has no idea what he is missing out on. You will love it. Your daughter will need a picture id since she is 18. Have you considered passports - perfect form of id for traveling anywhere?
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:20 PM
Passenger

I thought he was just being a butt til he said if I sign that letter and something happens to him on your trip I will never forgive myself.

So he was just worried about his "baby".

I am still working on him about the letter. He realizes we are going to go no matter what anyway.

~Donna
Old October 24th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Passenger

I took a letter with me when I took a trip to Mexico with my son and minus the husband. Never was asked for it but was glad I had it. No picture id required for your 5 year old, just passport or birth cert like the posters said above. I agree also that your daughter can get an "Identification Card" from the Dept of motor vehicles so that & her birth cert will suffice. Have a wonderful time!

Carnival Paradise
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:27 AM
Admiral

I would recommend passports for both you and your 18 yo. Birth certificate and letter from you husband will be okay for the younger child.

Why would something be more likely happen to your younger child on a cruise than any other place? Sounds like your husband wants to block you from going. Good luck!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 31st, 2004, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Dorothy. I was never asked for the letter, but I had it just in case.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old December 24th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Bruce Chafkin

What is wrong with getting a passport for your 5 year old?
It will save you endless hassles with ID problems, is the perfect ID - accepted everywhere, and will not expire until he is 15 years old.

If I had a 5 year old, $80 would be a small investment to avoid all the problems and keep him safe in this day and age.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM
First Mate

Bruce a passport for a child is only good for FIVE years.

I do agree with Dorothy about your husband not wanting to sign a letter for your son to travel. It sounds to me like this is a control tactic, unless of course you have told him you plan to take your five year old skydiving which I seriously doubt.