Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Familiar Face

Default Questions about cruising in Jan out of Galveston

Hi all,

Found a great deal on a cruise out of Galveston in Jan. It is our first cruise and I would like it to be a good one. In fact I wanted to go on my birthday which is in April but I would have to pay $500 more for the exact same cruise.

Just how cold can it be? and I'm sure that as you go South it warms up...just how long does that take?

Is it worth it to wait until April?

Also, the itenerary uncludes the following ports of call:
Belize City, Belize
Majahual, Mexico
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Cozumel, Mexico

Which ones were affected by the hurricanes (if any)? And if so, are they open yet or do you think that late Jan is enough time to wait for reopening of any damaged ports?
(Bless all those who endured the terrible storms. I am sure they are working very hard to get things back to normal.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Barb
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Questions about cruising in Jan out of Galveston

not to worry Barb, your cruise will be nice, warm and sunny. We are from Massachusetts and we only cruise in the winter time. The only port that got hit by the hurricane was Grand Caymen, they are rebuilding and the latest word seems to be that they will be "cruise ready" perhaps by Thanksgiving.
I don't know about the weather in Texas in January, but i would pack a light jacket or sweater just in case its a bit chilly. A light sweater is a good idea for the ladies anyway, as it can be chilly in the dining rooms if you are wearing something strapless or sleevless, i also have a wrap to go with my formal gown.
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Jpgirl

Default Re: Questions about cruising in Jan out of Galveston

I live in Houston-been here 2 years. I used to live in Ohio. Texas in Jan is lovely especially if you're from up North. Think late Sept/early Oct. weather. Highs in upper 60's low 70's. We were on the beach in Galveston last year and it was 72 no humidity. The islands will be wonderful. I agree that you should pack a sweater and/or a rain proof jacket. Have fun!! While in Galveston-go visit The Strand-just a block or so from the docks. There's a candy store with an old fashioned soda fountain-they'll mix up a real soda-very very good.
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Questions about cruising in Jan out of Galveston

Thanks all for your help
Barb