Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:25 PM
GandC

Default Child and Custody Papers?

I will be cruising with my 7 year-old and read on another post that it is suggested to have a notorized letter from the father since he will not be on the cruise with us. We have been divorced for 4 years now, and I have primary custody of her (and vacation time) per the divorce decree. I doubt I will be able to get a notorized letter from him...should I take my divorce/custody papers (certified copy) with me? Thanks!

(Only 7 more days...RCCL Monarch, 4-night Mexican)
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Child and Custody Papers?

I have traveled several times to Canada with my children that I have primary physical custody of. The Mom will not give me a letter and threatens each time to call customs on me. I always take a certified copy (not a xerox) with me and have had no trouble at all. Hope that this helps

Brad

Old January 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I would talk to your lawyer about getting one. I was told that if I didn't have it and was asked for it I could be denied boarding as I was removing my children from the country. Luckily my ex and I get along fine and it has never been an issue. The last two cruises I've been asked for it. We have traveled outside the country at other times and I haven't been asked for it. It seems to depend on who's checking you in. With all the kids that have been kidnapped by the other parent and taken out of the country recently I think the security has gotten much tighter.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:19 AM
x

Default x

dfdf
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Yeoman

My ex-husband just called me a few days ago to ask if he could take our daughter to Hawaii this summer for vacation. I have custody of her. It never occured to me that he may need something like that. Although Hawaii is considered USA, do you think he will need something from me?

It would be nice if everybody could get along and think about what's good for the kids! I'm so happy that she can go with her dad, I'm going to help pay for her airfare, get her new clothes and maybe even a new hair style. As long as my kids are happy and are being taken care of, I'm happy.

Holiday May 2000
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Happycruiser:

I've never been asked for anything for travel within the US, just outside it, but I would check with your travel agent. I certainly wouldn't hurt to have it and not need it.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

One thing that everyone should send with their child regardless of who they are with or where they are going is a release to provide medicare to a minor. If a minor child is traveling with an adult and something happens (adult could be unconcious after an accident, or heaven forbid, worse) this could be very beneficial. Especially for the non-custodial parent. We've had spills on steps and pool side that needed stitches for my step daughter and when you get to the emergency room - it makes life a lot easier. Also, if your child is traveling with someone other than a parent - make sure the other adults has vital insurance info, allergies, etc.

sorry to be so anal about this everyone...but we were just in an accident in June and I was almost separated from my kids when they scooped us into the ambulances (there was 7 of us in one SUV). With step kids / step parents and even step grand-parents it was a total mess trying to get the hospital to understand - and when Mom is flat on her back in x-ray that is no time to wonder if they letting your child sit in a room with a possible broken arm because they have to wait for a consent to treat them! (Hospitals will treat if a situation is life threatening....)

Post Edited (01-13-05 13:00)
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

WOW..THANK YOU ALL..my ex husband told my little girl not to tell me he was going on a cruise and taking her..she is 9 I am custodial parent..I AM MAKING SURE..he has the necessary papers..now..i guess he didnt want me knowing cause i worry about her. this opened my eyes~Jo

Old March 21st, 2005, 06:17 PM
Beginner

I am the non-custodial parent and was told without a raised stampled, notorized note stating my daughter was allowed to go, we "could" have problems upon trying to board the ship going to the Bahamas. I do have the original birth certificate in hand and that seemed to be golden but do not want to take any chances. I simply stated we were going on a cruise and need this note gtom my ex for our daughter to go on the trip of a lifetime. I was not expecting any problems, nor would I have wanted to be the parent trying to explain to a 13 year old why she can't go on this cruise. I wouldn't have been the one if you get my drift.

Thankfully, everything seems to be working out, but it does seem to beneficial to have as much documentation as possible to eliminate potential snags. I know all the good reasons why this policy is in place, but it sure doesn't make it any easier to swallow the hoops I'm required to jump through for my only child. If her mother were to decide to take a cruise, nothing would be "required" from me authorizing the vacation. Go figure. In the end I'm sure we both will have a great time on this cruise. Everyone I have told has almost gotten a tear in their eye when they figure out it's just me and my daughter going. Can't put a price tag on that can we?

No one said taking the high road would be crowded.

Post Edited (03-22-05 17:00)