Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:59 PM
GNunn

Default Any advise appreciated

Hello, I've been pouring over these message boards for two days now. We leave on our first cruise (NCL - Spirit) Jan. 30th. I've not read much about the Spirit on here. I've not only never been to Miami I've never seen a ship up close and I honestly think the one thing I'm worried about is boarding and that process. I want to thank all the people that come here to advise and give their opinions, I've made notes and found wonderful hints thoughout all threads. (i.e. power strip, relief bands, listerine bottles - what a hoot). If you're familiar with the Spirit or NCL policy I'd appreciate your response. We're flying in same day but very early for a 8 pm departure but NCL says boarding begins at 4 pm .. if we taxi to the port can we check our luggage then and is there a place to lounge and possibly watch the pre superbowl games kinda thing walking distance to our ship boarding area? It's our only vacation this year and I'd love for it to be carefree adventure from the get go. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Any advise appreciated

You may want to read the article I wrote about What to Expect
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...uki-Basics.cfm

I haven't cruised the NCL Spirit, so can't help with actual experiences on it, but like other lines, I suspect you can actually start boarding between noon and 1 PM.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM
GNunn

Kuki .. thank you, I read your articles and chuckled the afternoon away yesterday. I must say I think my husband took to heart your approach to your spouses spending habits and your curtailing of same (bedposts thing) .. I quit quoting your quips after that. You're great and I greatly appreciate your humor and knowledge.
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Yeoman

Kuki, I can't wait to read part 4, part 5, part 6, part . . . . !

On my first cruise I freaked when the cabin steward only delivered ONE of my suitcases! Then he came back . . . to deliver my neighbors luggage. I thought for sure that my bag was lost. After my 3rd cruise, I realized that it will show up later. Whew!
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Admiral

As Kuki mentioned i would think that you could start boarding around noon 1pm. Depending upon when your flight gets in, you might only have a few hours to "kill". Get off the plane, get your bags, take the time to have a good breakfast and then see what time it is and go from there.
The ships waiting area is just that, a waiting area nothing more. Chairs and a vending machine that's about it. Bring a book or magazine. The porters will take your luggage when you arrive at the terminal. Once boarding starts it goes fairly fast. You check in - (similar to a hotel) - they will tell you if your stateroom is ready or not. If it is, go there, drop off your carry-on bags and then explore the ship. Most will have lunch available(usually at the buffet). If you want to book any spa or hair appointments for formal night this is the time to do it. If its a nice warm day, change into your shorts, grab your book and head up to the pool, grab a lounge chair, (the pool may or may not be open) and get into cruise mode.
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:39 PM
GNunn

Default Re: Re: Any advise appreciated

Thanks Lisa .. I appreciate all info. I've been dancing around since I received my tickets and packet from NCL an hour ago .. dancing around for the next few days will help me lose poundage .. that's OK .. my DH has I think blocked my access to Cruise Wear Sites .. I'll figure it out, I don't think he knows about Travel Smith yet .. my animals know something is up and will not leave me alone .. will make me appreciate my week away less guilt ridden .. it's so cold out that I cannot make myself try on summer clothes .. back to travel smith .. See ya and Thanks again !
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Admiral

ah ha we caught you Doc Dancing! Its official you are now among the soon to be cruise addicted! Welcome to the club.
Old January 21st, 2005, 06:20 PM
Zoom & Sparky

Default Re: Re: Any advise appreciated

Kuki... I love your article. Not only did it answer so many of my questions, but it really helped alleviate some of the anxiety of cruising for the first time. Thanks!
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:38 PM
Admiral

My advice for first-timers has always been: pack 1/2 the clothes and twice the money.

I regularly ask first timers after their cruise what was most unexpected in their minds. The answer I get most often is how casually people are dressed all day. I think most first timers expect people to be dressed in country club casual clothes or better all day long.

Regards,
Thomas