Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:23 PM
gary167

Default Sea-Sickness

1st timer here. My wife is nervous about getting sea sick. She's used dramamine before but that tends to put her to sleep. (not my idea of a fun cruise!)

Any suggestions on what I could bring?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:24 PM
dee-lynn

Default Re: Sea-Sickness

whwere are you cruising? My dh and I were nervous about being sea sick when we went on our first cruise last year. Does your wife get car sick or other motion sickness? Chances are that if she isn't prone to other sea sickness, she won't be sea sick. My doctor said this of cruising the Carib bean... if you can sit in the bath tub without getting sick then you will have no problem with being green round the gills.
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Passenger

I am in the same boat (no pun intended!) It is our first cruise and I am concerned about seasickness. We do not get car sick and can ride roller coasters with no problem. I have read a few reviews about rocking & rolling and am a bit nervous too!
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Admiral

I wore the transderm scopalomine patch - it worked great. I am very prone to motion sickness and got my sea legs immediately - I could even read in the car with the darn thing on lol. I had no side effects at all - check with your dr. on that one it might be worth a try. ttfn Jennifer
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Desiree Russo

I also get severe motion, sea sickness anything pretty much. Drammine works on planes for me but not anything else. I wore the patch on a dinner cruise and was fine. I will probably use it again. I will bring Bonine and Drammine with me on my cruise just in case. I did have a side effect, I got really bad dry mouth. I didn't mind thouhg seeing that I preferred dry mouth to any kind of sickness. It is different for each person.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Luckyroot

Default Re: Re: Sea-Sickness

Oddly enough, just because you get carsick or sick on rides, does NOT mean you will get seasick.

I can't ride anything. Merry Go Rounds......I toss cookies!! I can hardly even LOOK at a roller coaster without getting queasy.

And yet, I was FINE on my cruise, even the night we skirted a hurricane, and had REALLY rough seas.
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Sea-Sickness

Does anyone recommend sea bands. What about for kids?
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Desiree Russo

I have the bands but they did not work for me. They have an elastic band with a plastic hump that is suppose to go over your pressure point and that is suppose to help. Those of you who have driven on highway 1 in california, I took that drive driving and it still made me sick driving and having the bands on. They are not that expensive I think 6 or 7 dollars. You could get them to try just bring other sickness medication just in case.
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:12 PM
EJ

I USED BONINE AND IT WORKED GREAT. FELT GREAT ALL DAY. JUST SO HAPPENED WE LEFT AROUND DARK SO COME BED TIME I TOOK ONE AND WHEN I GOT UP I TOOK ONE. THAT WAS ALL I NEEDED. FELT GREAT ALL DAY AND ENJOYED MY CRUISE.
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Yeoman

I would use the Bonine, it is supposed to make you not drowsy. I also think you need to check with the doctore regarding the Patch, some people have had bad reactions to it, and you can't drink on it. Seven days , no drinking, ugh!

I have gotten seasick on cruises, and I have also cruised and NOT been sick at all. Rough weather is just bad luck, and obviously big waves make alot of people quesy.

DO NOT get a forward cabin on the tops deck. We had a forward cabin on the top ( LIDO)deck of the Golden Princess, and man did I feel the motion of the ocean on rough days. Yet when I was in the dining room it was MUCH better, dining rooms are usaully mid lower ships, now we know why!

Lastly don't worry too much about it, I think over focusing on getting sick is not helpful. As i've said I have cruised 7 days and not even felt a bit off, yet on another sailing we had rough seas for 2 days, and I felt it!!

Many people seem to recommend takin ga VERY low dose of seasick medicine, like one to one half tablet once in the morning and once at night as a preventative, I ended up doing that for those two days, and yes it made me a bit dopey, but not terribly, and it only was bad for two days. So go, have fun, and write us a review, I love reviews!
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Unless you are prone to severe motion sickness avoid the patches.
The SeaBands work well with no side effects.
For mild to moderate queezies try the ginger cure, have a glass of ginger ale and just sip on it. Ginger cookies are also good. Have Bonnine as a back-up just in case. Stay outside in the fresh air and get active - go for a walk, go for a swim do something. Keep some carbs in your stomach - crackers, rolls, bread work the best. THE WORST THING you can do is to go back to your cabin an lay down.
The best cure - don't worry, relax and enjoy. The ships have wonderful stabalizers
Old March 4th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Writergirl

One thing about ginger-ale...very few ginger-ale sodas these days actually contain ginger. Most are just ginger flavored. I haven't been on a cruise (first one coming up in May!) but I am prone to car-sickness, and I've found that nibbling on pieces of crystalized ginger helps me immensely! You can find it at most health food stores. I've found it at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and at random markets on my road trips. Wish me luck with not getting sick on my cruise!
Old March 5th, 2005, 08:33 AM
libbynan

When dh and I went on 1st cruise he was nervous about seasickness as he had carsickness as a child. 1st night was ok, but very rough the next morning and he started to feel it...... as did many others onboard. We had brought OTC meclizine.... used for tinnitis and the bands.... he took one pill, put on the bands and slept for a few hours. He was fine the rest of the week, but did continue to use the bands as a preventitive. The success of the bands may have been purely psychological, but it did work.
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:30 PM
renata

hey,

if you are traveling with royal caribbean do not worry about bringing meds! i cruised for the first time last january with my whole family and many of us were concerned about that... we were at the mariners of the sea doing their western caribbean route. the ship has a "medical center" with plenty of the very best meds since they need to make sure the crew will do well as well. some of us took that on the first day inly and never felt a thing. enjoy your trip!
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Passenger

I have terrible motion sickness and I was very worried last June when we went on our first cruise. I had the battery operated sea bands (send impluses to the brain, I guess) just in case,but used the transderm patch. Other than a little dry mouth, it was great. But, the one night when we got into very rough seas, the patch and wrist bands didn't even help (but I think about half the ship was sick that night). Next day...I was fine again. Another thing that helped was having a cabin with a balcony so I could get fresh air. I would cruise again in a second!
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Passenger

First cruise I got sea sick. Not pleasant at all!

Second cruise I took one Bonine 24 hours before boarding and then one each morning and I felt fine the whole cruise! Didn't make me drowsy either. (And I also had some of those frosty tropical drinks too. Couldn't resist!)

I just bought my Bonine for my next cruise in April!
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
sparky2005

just returned and I took dramamine a couple of days and that was it. you barely feel the ship moving. My daughter, who is 11 didn't take anything and didn't have any problems. Good luck!
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

My friend Jennifer who has done several cruises suggested this.

If you have a CVS pharmacy, get the Ginger pills (in the vitamin area). Should cost you about $5 for a bottle of $100.

She also suggested & nobody yet has posted this. But I'd love to hear from anyone who tried this - if you get queasy, eat a green apple. Apparently there's something in the apple that acts like some sort of stomach settler.
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Admiral

These ships are huge and in most cases you won't even notice it moving. However, if you get into rough seas you might feel the motion under your feet as you walk. But you will never be tossed to and fro as you might on a fishing boat.

Dramamine comes in a non-drowsy formula. This is what I take when I go fishing off shore but I've never taken anything on a cruise and never been sick.

And BTW, seasickness has nothing to do with what's in your stomach. It comes from the inner ear imbalance and the sensory confusions between what your eyes see and your body feels. That's why going into the cabin is the worst place to be since your eyes see everything stable in relation to you but your body feels motion.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Thomas - so if you shouldn't go to your cabin, do you mean you should stay out on the deck in the fresh air?

- Linda
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:40 PM
Zoom & Sparky

Yes, and keep looking at the horizon.

Old May 26th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Cruisin T

Default Re: Re: Sea-Sickness

Yes, go on deck if you are feeling queasy. The fresh air and your brain seeing the motion of the ocean will put you in balance.

Although, closing your eyes and laying down in your cabin can help as well. Your brain doesnt have the visual cues to throw you out of balance.