Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:37 PM
Pleezd

Default 3 people in one room?

Hi!

Well, since I'm posting here, I'm clearly a first-timer...and I've googled to death and can't seem to get a clear answer on this...so I come to you for help

Me, my mother, and my grandmother all want to take a cruise together -- and we would like to stay in one room rather than in two rooms. We're all on the average to slightly below average size build wise...

my question isn't too complicated...

are there cabins that can be booked for 3 people instead of two? If so, are there only certain lines that offer them, or are there some to be recommended over others?

alternately, if there aren't 3-people cabins, can 3 people fit into a standard cabin? How is the charge calculated for this? And what other options are available?

thank you so much in advance. The particulars of our ideal trip are as follows in case it matters:

3-4 nights
late april (vacation the last 2 weeks of april, ideally leave 18th'ish)
florida departure would be most convenient
bahamas? Don't need many stops.
budget is flexible

thanks again!

p
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: 3 people in one room?

look at Carnival I know that you can put 3 people in one room. The third person would be slightly cheaper but you can always divide the price by three. It would be much cheaper than doing two rooms because the single rate for one room would be high. As for which one to choose, you can see a Travel Agent and get diff. cruise line books and find out which company suites you best and they will have dates and lengths in them.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We've put three and four people in one room on both Carnival and Royal Carribean. While it was a bit tight, it was manageable. I would go with Carnival as the room are bigger. Hope this helps.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Admiral

all of the major cruise lines have ships that can accomodate 3 people in a stateroom very easily. You have lots of choices- go talk to your local travel agent she/he will help your narrow down your choices and find a cruise that fits
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:03 PM
pcboston

Going on a short cruise for the first one is an excellent idea. I did that on my first cruise just to see if I would like it and got addicted. To answer your question, I have cruised twice with 3 people in a cabin. It is tight but doable, as you hopefully aren't in there much but out seeing an island or doing shows and things. I was on Carnival with two teenage grandchildren. They have bigger cabins than other cruiselines, unless you are in a suite where any ship would probably be ok. Princess cabin with two grown daughters was small, but, again, we managed. The biggest problem was storage space for three. I have only been in inside cabins, as cost was a factor. I envy you that 3 generations are willing to travel together and try something new. Go for it , have a wonderful time, and make some family memories that will last a lifetime!
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Admiral

We did 3 in a cabin (Carnival - larger cabins than other lines) without a problem. There is plenty of storage space and closet space. Suitcases fit nicely under the beds.

And yes, DO find a local travel agent to help you with your selection. 3 in a cabin also reduces the cost. On our last 7 day cruise, the 3rd person fare was only $190. This time, $220.

Sounds like a great cruise - I've been trying to talk my sisters (3 of them) and Mom into a cruise together!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: 3 people in one room?

Well, we are a family of 5, kids ages are 16, 11, and 10 and we are all in ONE room...it will be a little cozy I imagine but it will only be to clean up and sleep, otherwise out the door we will be!
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Passenger

Carnival has several 3-4 night Florida departure itineraries with many cabins housing 3-4 people. The nice thing about Carnival for this many in one cabin is the larger cabin size in comparision to others.

One thing you need to remember though is . . . the sleeping accomidations for the 3rd/4th person is usually a pull down (from the wall/ceiling) bed that stores away during the day for maximum floorspace.

Also . . . 3rd, 4th and 5th people in the room pay a MUCH LOWER rate since the first 2 ppl are really paying for the cabin!!!!!!

I would suggest going to the different cruiseline webpages to initially search for departure cities and itineraries . . . from there you can begin to research pricings with the cruiseline or local/online TA's.

Kim

Old February 28th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Juana

We did 3 in a room on The Holiday . It was just the ladies.We had plenty of room and storage was no problem. Of course the only time we were in the room was to change and to sleep.
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:03 AM
wannago30

We had 3 in a room on the Sensation, all ladies. We had enough room to change and sleep.
You will not be in your room for much beside that.
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM
libbynan

I don't know the ages of the three generations involved here, but I tend to disagree w/ the idea that you won't spend enough time in the cabin for space to be an issue. My husband and I enjoyed spending time in our cabin and on our balcony, having an occasional room service meal, etc. Not everyone goes on a cruise to party nonstop. Our Royal Caribbean balcony cabin had a sleeper sofa and would be plenty spacious for three, but I wouldn't want to try it in anything smaller.
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Pleezd: We have done 3 adults in a cabin twice. The last was on Costa Atlantica 2 weeks ago. We specifically asked our TA for accomodations for 3. We had a wonderful cabin - queen or two twins and a couch that became a twin. It was perfect and we had lots of room, drawer space and closet space. The bathroom had lots of room for our stuff. We also had a verandah - that ship is mostly verandahs. We did spend time in our cabin, enjoying the balcony, playing cards and even had breakfast in our cabin every morning. Just ask your TA about it. We once had an upper bunk, plus 2 twins, but we would never go back to that now! We were very pleased with our accommodations on Costa. I will try to find information on the square ft of our cabin.
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: 3 people in one room?

Our cabin was 210 sq ft. on the Atlantica