Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:54 PM
sklein

Default leaving 15 month old at home!

Need some words of encouragement! I'm leaving my baby girl with G'ma for a week while cruising. I'm a bit sad about it but dh an I need some one on one time. Has anyone experienced this? What makes it easier?

Maybe I should be on babycenter.com! lol!
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: leaving 15 month old at home!

It is hard the first time you leave, but trust me she is in good hands w/grandma. They will enjoy the bonding experience and you and your husband will appreciate renewing your spirit for each other. As a mother of 4 I no longer have a problem leaving (), but am glad to return. Stepping away from the mothering process to renew and reinvigorate ourselves makes us better mothers and more appreciative of the role we play in our children's lives. Go!!! Have fun and she will be fine. She wont be scarred for life and the next time you leave will be easier.
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:42 PM
sklein

Default Re: Re: leaving 15 month old at home!

Thank you! I know you're right. I do need a break and my hubby and I need to reconnect as a couple and not as parents!
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:04 AM
Admiral

speaking from experience you will miss her more than she will miss you! Grandma can handle it. Buy her and Grandma something from the islands or the ship. Is Grandma computer saavy? You can always e-mail her to check on your daughter, if not then check in with Grandma from shore - just a quick hello. Relax and enjoy your couple time.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Go enjoy - let Granny spoil the little one - and let the cruise staff spoil you. Have fun - don't worry - be happy lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Beginner

Go and have fun and know that you are making Gma very happy. Our kids just went on a week's vacation and left 10 mo old daughter home. Yes, they missed her, but also knew that they needed some alone time and that she would be much happier with me. You will find that you will be so busy on the ship that you won't have time to miss your daughter. The days will fly by and you will be home holding her in your arms before you know it. Have fun!
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM
Lady Vine

I'm a single mom at the of my cruise of a 10month old, I missed my first mothers day with her because of the cruise but I needed this cruise for myself to recharge and get myself together. Its very hard, I put up a picture of her in the room, when we got to port I made a call home and found out she was walking that made me miss her even more, but I still made a point to enjoy my self, she'll will be ok with g'ma you know she'll take good care of the baby, now you go enjoy get a drink special and dance until 3am, have a good time, you deserve it!!
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:54 AM
ccat

My first vacation away from my baby girl was when she was about 15 months old and the hardest part is the leaving. I promise once you are gone you will start to relax. With a few calls back home I was fine.
Old August 26th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Ladystella

Default Re: Re: leaving 15 month old at home!

Hey Sklein - I too am leaving my baby at home while I go on my first cruise - mine's 14 months old. She's going to stay with Grandma & Grandpa. She spends all week with them anyway because DH and I work, so she's well used to them, and she's had a lot of overnights with them too, but I'm still so worried and so guilty and feeling like such a bad mom! Sigh, this is soooooo difficult!
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:29 PM
First Mate

Don't you guys dare feel like you are BAD mothers. You are great mothers, and there is nothing wrong with needed time away from your children. They and you will all be better for it!!!! You (and your husband) need some time and attention just to each other. I am a new grandma and I can't wait to have my little one when my kids need a break. I did it with 3 children, I know what your feeling, but if I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have worried so much. Hope you all have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:16 AM
AmazingAngel

My baby had just turn one when we went on our first cruise. I have three children. I missed them terribly but I had the most wonderful time too. I emailed home everyday which helped alot, and called home once. i bought lots of things for my kids, and it was a great feeling to walk in the door when I got home to screaming happy children! I loved it. Enjoy yourself, sit back relax, let someone else cook and clean after YOU!!