Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Default Gggggrrrrrrrr...........

Okay, I'm getting desperate!
I have looked and looked for some kind of waterproof "thing" that people on these boards say that they got for their days in port. They said they were big enough to carry an ID, S&S card, and some money. They said they got them at Wal-Mart - I believe in the fishing or camping section. (?) I have looked at Wal-Mart, Target, and Dick's Sporting Goods and cannot find anything even remotely like that! Help!
Secondly, on a different subject...
People were talking about using the cable ties to "lock" their luggage rather than going out and buying TA or TSA (whatever) locks. I was told someone got theirs in the automotive department. Again, I have looked and looked to no avail!
Are you sure these boards are here to help? Maybe you're all in on some evil plan to get us newbies even more stressed than we already are by sending us off on some wild goose chases for items that don't really exist! Well, let me tell you - it's working! And I am really excited because in just about 2 months I won't be a newbie anymore and I can get in on all this fun! hee hee
Anyways, if anybody can give me some help in these areas - I would REALLY appreciate it!
Thanks a bunch!

Old September 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Gggggrrrrrrrr...........

I have never been on a ship where they were not sold in a shop on the ship.
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AngelaAlabama

... I know how you feel..but breathe!! we found the cable ties at a dollar store...but have seen them at wal-mart.. also got the water proof pouches at wal mart. Instead of going from store to store,, try their websites or calling around.... that may save on some of the frustration and alot of gas.
I don't think that the CM's are out to get ya..

Have fun and good cruisin'

"The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next."
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Toas Warnstadt

You can get them at AEI stores or any camping type stores Try AEI.com. Walmart has the same thing though.
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Yeah they are!!! They are out to get ya!!!

Try a luggage store for both items. Most malls have luggage stores now!

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Passenger

I'm like you can't find these waterproof cases but for the cable ties most home hardware type stores have them. I assume with traget you are in the US. I got mine at Canadian Tire and they came in all different colors. Odd colors will be more of a thief deterrent.

Good luck in your search

Old September 8th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Admiral

those waterproof wallet holder thingys can be more of a pain than what they are worth. Why do you need to swim with your money, your charge card and your sign and sail card? Most beaches have lockers, and your stuff is more than safe in your fannypack, duffle or backpack when you are on an excursion. The rate of theft on an excursion is almost nil. These companies depend upon the cruise passengers for their livelyhood, and if word got out that passengers were being ripped-off, these companies would be out of business in a minute.
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Yeoman

We are not trying to get you, so heres some more advice, storage space is somewhat limited so check Wal-Mart for Shelf Strechers, and Sky Hooks. Left handed cloths hangers are great also when the closet is on the opposit side of the room. Other then that have a great trip.

P.S. Anyone else have any other equipment or tools she should bring?
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Passenger

Our Super Wally World didnt have them either and the sporting guy was stumped. Dicks was out, but I found a Sea Line brand at a Camping , hiking store. it was 14.00 but we could use it at the lake too. It has a hook so hubs can hook on bathing suit

I think the other are probaby ty wraps. You can get at home depot, lowes type place
Hubs uses them at work so they are in the floor, pockets, washing machine..........

I did the desperate shopping last week so good luck to ya.
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all the great tips! I'll keep looking when I am out and about.
I wasn't exactly sure what we did with our things when we would go on an excursion but I do think that most places will have lockers or a secured area where we can store them. However, my husband is a little worried about all of us just handing over our IDs and credit card, etc. So to keep him happy - I will try to be prepared and better safe than sorry!

Old September 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AngelaAlabama

Missdeels...When you go to wal mart. Look in the fishing dept. They were hard to find for us too. The ones we got were clear vinyl and didn't really have a seal. the vinyl flap on it sticks to itself, and it has a large safety pin stuck through it so you can pin it to your shorts or pants. It also has holes in the top so you can put a chain or lanyard through it. We got bracelets to put them on while walking and we are going to pin them inside our swimsuits for when go snorkling. If you want email me your home address and I will mail you two of them. They are very inexpensive-67cents each. and they way nothing so it would be easy to mail them to you.

"The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next."
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Passenger

I KNOW your frustration. I did find my "waterproof" pouch that wasn't so WATERPROOF.....it was at Walmart near the Jewelry Dept. Right behind the count with wallets etc. it is a plastic pous with a zip lock closure hanging on a lanyard. Cost was 0.99 cents. Good luck!!
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've found water proof fanny packs, rather than just the small plastic tube types at luggage specialty stores.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Those cable ties are usually for electronic things - that is why they are called CABLE ties. Even Walgreens has them, look by the telephone cables.

Waterproof packs for money & stuff? Ummm... I thought money & sail & sign cards were already waterproof. I love the feel of clammy salty dollar bills. Why bother?
Old September 15th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I went with a waterproof wallet for my first cruise and basically found that it was worthless. A regular mesh travel wallet that goes around the neck works just fine. Just put a ziploc bag inside and you are set. As Paul said: Money, credit and sign and sail cards work just fine if they get wet.

Cable ties aren't hard to find. But they are in the electronics or hardware areas. You won't find them in the luggage areas.

Take care and don't let all the advice get you upset. If you took all of the advice and suggestions you would need a U-Haul van to take everything with you.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruizer2004

Cable ties for locking luggage??? Don't they rip them open at airports and on the ship when security goes through them? My hubby brought some home from work. (I know, he shouldn't have, but it was only a few). As for the waterproof pouch, I went in another direction altogether. I bought my hubby a pair of swim trunks with a zippered back pocket. That's where the room key could go. He made sure it stayed zipped. In Bermuda we didn't do any real rough water swimming. Horeshoe Bay and Tobacco bay.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Beginner

I use a trusty ziplock baggy and a little fanny pack....I know that those arent the most attractive of items but mine worked GREAT!!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Home Depot or another hardware store for the plastic ties.