Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Default Who else do I Tip?

I posted this question on the tipping board. I got one reply that was helpful but still need more info so thought I'd try this question here:

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I'm sure this has been asked, but I cant find it and don't have the time to keep looking.

Question: I already prepaid my tipping. I know that does not include the porters, (dollar per bag) or the guy that brings room service or extra charge restaurants of course. SO Is there anyone else I have to tip, that is not included in the pretippping?

Plus will the dining room know I pretipped or think I'm being rude?"

Thanks!!!

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Re: Who else do I Tip?

Hi Tina, You are all set. Go to the bank and get some one's and fives. The porters should be your first tip, and then if you want to tip the guy that brings your luggage that is fine, althought you prob ably won't see him. If you order room service tip the person a dollar. On the last night, you will find a emvelope in your room. You can put what you want in there or not at all. You should be good. We tipped our cabin steward extra, because he was so nice. It will be up to you, since you pretipped.

Have a great trip.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Admiral

If you get your hair done or get a massage, manicure, pedicure etc, you should tip that person directly.
Most tour guides(unless they are the owner's of the company) expect a little something at the end of your tour, thats up to your discretion
I have heard both sides of the tipping story, some say that your waitstaff is aware if you use automatic/pre-paid tipping,and some say that they have no clue. Don't know which is correct. What some folks are doing is telling their waitstaff on the first night that they have chosen pre-paid tipping, but that doesn't mean that they still won't tip extra.........
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Ok...Thanks for your help. I get it. (I think)

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old September 10th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

There are a few more people:

Taxi drivers on your way to/from the port.

Stevedores who take your bags at the pier.

Drivers & tour guides on excursions. $1-2 per guide per person in your group for 1/2 day.

I always tip in cash at the pool bar on my 1st drink. I introduce myself & always get great service.

I think room service & spa have been mentioned.

On Freestyle you tip the maitre'd extra. This isn't as important on traditional dining.

A great sommilier may deserve a little extra.

Enjoy!
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:54 PM
First Mate

As one of the previous posters said, if you go to the Pursers desk and place all your tips on your card, you do not have to worry about the last night. Just tell them you want to tip the standard amount, which will be known during the cruise. If you want to tip extra, then slip them extra with cash.
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS - 11/1/15
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS - 11/13/15