Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sorry about repeating topics but Help!!! I'm obsessed!!!

I'm really sorry to bring up this same topic; I read all the posts and I know I'm in good company. But everyone else only seemed to have 30 days or so until their cruise; their sypmtoms seemed minor compared to mine.

I got 7 months to go til my first cruise. I'm booked on HAL Westerdam RT Seattle to Alaska 5/14/06. I think and sleep nothing but cruise. It dominates every waking thought. Today is Sunday. I spent all day on this website and all of yesterday pouring over maps and my binder that I made which consists of printouts of deckplans, itineraries, payment receipts and any other information I could get my hands on from HAL's website.

My social life is suffering. I had an appointment at the gym one Friday. I pulled in, parked, sat there a minute or two, pulled back out and went home to study my stuff. The day I actually booked the cruise almost had me in near hysterics. I spent almost the entire day on the internet at work and then another hour or so on the phone with HAL. I ended up working until 9 that night to make up the time. I've put off several social outings with friends because all I think about is the cruise, its all I want to think about.

One woman mentioned she worries she might get sick or her flight might be delayed. I can take that one step further. I actually looked into how to reschedule jury duty in case of the slight chance I'm called during the week of my cruise. I haven't gotten any documents yet and I've already conjured up a million scenarios that might go wrong from not receiving them in time to getting my mail misdelivered. UGH!!!

Tell me it gets better!! I'm resisting the idea of a countdown clock because it will only make it worse. Normally I look forward to the holidays...not this year, the only thing nice about it will be knowing I'm that much closer to sailing date.

Believe me I'm not a geek or dweeb. I'm normally a cool, level-headed, well-balanced 36 year old man. And if any of my friends or family were to read this, they'd think I went off the deep end for sure.

Any advice whatsoever would be helpful. I especially want to hear from people that booked early (6 months to 1 year).

I enjoy and laugh at everyones posts. I hope you don't mind another newbie here.

Steve
Seattle, Washington
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2005, 06:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Enjoy it..my first cruise was in aug.. and you sound just like me..all i could do was just think about it , I couldnt do house work because I was here reading all the stuff, I couldnt do anything.. I was driving everyone crazy 8) all I can say enjoy it, it fun to do all the planning and reading and thinking,what your going to do when you get there, what clothes to bring.. as soon as i got off the ship I was sad , sad enough to make plan for another cruise in may your gonna love it..
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default (tami3333)

I'm glad you had a good time and that you weren't let down after such a long buildup of excitement. I went back and reread your posts and your 06 cruise is the day before mine, so we can go through the agony together.

Steve
Old October 31st, 2005, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Dear Steve, welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of the cruise addicted. We all who post here suffer from this afliction. The only cure is your daily dose of CruiseMates! check out our live Cruise Chat and of course the daily Chit Chat board.
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Steve - you sound perfectly normal to me. It's those "non-cruisers" that are weird. You know who I mean - the ones that roll their eyes every time you mention the "C" word.

What do they do with their time? While we are on these boards seeking out every tid-bit of info we can find - what are they doing - working maybe, or eating or sleeping - sounds like a waste of time to me.

Preparing for a cruise is a full time job - you eat it, sleep it, work it - and best of all - it has no calories, is good for your mind and body and keeps your adrenalin levels up so you are prepared for any emergency. No downside.

There should be a twelve step program for cruisers

Just know you are not alone - we are everywhere - just look for the ones who are grinning from ear to ear and have a spring to their step - even with winter here in the Pacific North West bearing down in us.

Keep the faith -

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 31st, 2005, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default (Jennifer; Lisa; Tammi)

Thanks so much for the kind words; it helps, it really does.

Jennifer-I know, I'm already sick of the rain. Are you near Vancouver? Have you been on any of the Alaska cruises? HAL has a major presense in our neck of the woods, have you sailed them at all?

I have about a million questions, I will start new threads for them.

Steve

P.S. I don't know if this is wrong or not, but I'm already planning a 2nd cruise and haven't even taken the first one yet. I've heard that if you book a cruise from the ship you get a discount, any truth to that? Anyway, I'm thinking of Mexico in Dec 06.
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:39 PM
Admiral

There's nothing strange AT ALL about planning your next cruise. We've all been thru what you are going thru, but keep going to the gym - remember you want to be in good shape for your cruise!

Just keep coming here and planning, if only in your mind and on paper, your other cruises. I have a sort of running list of the cruises I want to take.

Also, if you can book, then do so. There's not a better feeling than being "stacked" with more than one cruise. Why don't you consider the Cruise of the Century? You'll get to meet some of your fellow cruismates, it's only $100 to book and you'll be stacked!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

wait untill you get your doc.s ..you will be dancing all around the house..and reading them and petting them and reading them again and the whole time dancing like a fool..now that is the best when you get those..
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I've calmed down a bit....

Cruisemates has been extremely therapeutic for me. I don't feel so overwhelmed. I'm getting my questions answered and peace of mind is ever so slowly replacing the worries.

I've taken the advice of listmaking. I have several lists going: what to pack, what to buy, my spending budget on the ship.

I also took note that there is something going on every month until my cruise that will sort of break the monotony. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines, St. Patricks Day and Easter.

I'm grateful to all of you and this invaluable website. I don't know what I would have done without it. Maybe I would have grabbed my credit card and booked an immediate cruise to anywhere asap.

Thanks again,
Steve in Seattle
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
Passenger

I know everyone around me got tired of me talking about the cruise. Just came back three weeks ago from our first cruise and I am so thankful for this site!! I took everyone's suggestions to heart and we had the time of our lives!! Read all those "what to pack" suggestions- I wish I had been more creative in tagging my luggage! I used red duct tape and found another person had done the same thing!! I didn't lose that much time but.... Also, fill and print out your stuff ahead of time -I know you will!! We bypassed the huge line of people standing in the humidity and got to go right in the building to a small line to get our keys etc. It was GREAT!!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Steve - we are about half an hour from Vancouver - we pop across to Bellingham most weeks - I've recently discovered BigLots :o

We haven't made the Alaska run yet - our next one will be the Conquest out of Galveston. Haven't tried HAl as yet - just Carnival and Princess so far.

At least the rain slackened off a bit for Hallowe'en - so the little ones didn't get too wet. At least you don't have to shovel the rain -

Take Care -ttfn Jennifer
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Steve, What you are going though is totally normal. I went nuts my first cruise, and now on my second, I am trying not to think of it. Don't forget, we are here for you. We know what it feels like.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 4th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Captain

you are hooked welcome to the familyits the some story for me my family doesn' won't to talk about cruising all the time i can't get out of my
head i found a lot of people like me addictto crusing so you are not alone
come and join us on cruisemate chit chat
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Steve in Seattle

You don't have to worry about "cruise blues" since you have already started planning your second cruise.
Old January 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Admiral

At least I know I'm not alone. I had a dream the other night about packing my suitcase for the trip. The next day I got up and laid out all of the clothes in my dream to see if they would actually FIT in my suitcase. HAHAHA

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!

thanks.... i'm glad i'm not the only "freak" when it comes to my first cruise. i come on cm several times a day, looking for new posts. i have my favorite boards. i've made a few friends. but yet, IT'S NOT ENOUGH!!! :-) we booked with our ta at the beginning of november for a cruise that leaves 4/30/06. i honestly thought my head was going to explode! not only did i come on here, i went and bought books on each port, along with a book that had all the cruise ports for the caribbean in it. i've planned my ports, routes, excursions, and budget, right down to where i want to go for lunch. my bf thinks i'm nuts. my job is incredibly stressful, so when i come home, all i want to think about is my vacation and getting out of here! i put the countdown dates on my calendar. 2 weeks ago when we got down to less than 100 days, i made a candlelight dinner. when my bf asked what the occasion was, i brought out a homemade cheesecake with "99 days" spelled out in canned cherries.....

i'm sure there is a medication somewhere for this.....

-Lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

I booked my Feb 26th cruise back in June. I setup a countdown clock on my computer. For the first month I would look at it and it was horrible. Then I just really didn't pay attention to it and almost forgot about it. Well about two weeks ago I started getting that feeling of anxiousness. I came to this board and to a couple of others. Now I read evrything I can about the ship, the weather, the food, the ports and everything else I can think of. I'm going nuts!!!!

Caribbean Village Playa Dorada: Dominican Republic All Inclusive
Old February 5th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default You Guys Are Sooooooo Funny!

We just booked our first cruise this coming May...and I am because I am finding that it's on my mind all the time!

I am however not stressed now that we got our flight booked a day ahead...so there's not a problem with missing the Boat! !

Our friends have taken 10 cruises and told us about this site...I love it and am learning so much.

I feel pretty confident about the Cruise and all the details...we're going to get our Passports started this week!

This is a great site!

Merry
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Admiral

I don't know why anyone would want to take medication for this malady of ours - it's wonderful. While most people are complaining about the winter weather and after-holiday charge card bills - here we are basking in the warmth of shore excursions, and cruise cuisine and what to wear on formal night. It just don't get any better than this!!!!!

Where is everyone going on the "next one"? We are on the Conquest out of Galveston in just 3 weeks and 5 days....yeah!!!

ttfn Jennifer
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Admiral

I'm on the Destiny in ...... OMG 6 days.. Woooohoooo... Is it nuts to be packed a week before you leave? hahaha

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Passenger

Default Welcome to the Club!

Seattleguy, I know just how you feel. I live in Mill Creek, WA, and these long rainy winter days are PERFECT for obsessing about a cruise!

My trip in September will be DH's first sea voyage, and my first "pleasure cruise"...spent some time in the Navy, and that was NOT a luxury sea voyage. Also lucky that DH lets me do all the travel planning, since I've done much more of it that he has.

Am also obsessed with planning a 2nd, 3rd, 4th cruise.....where to go? Alaska? Yes, for sure, but take the 15 y/o kid along or not? Which cruise line? How many days? Or wait a minute....hey, Panama Canal looks great! Yeah, let's do that one......oops, there's the Transatlantic repo cruise, 7 straight at sea days, wow, how relaxing.....GEEZ! The choices are endless, mind-boggling, and lots of fun to look at!

I've decided that this obsession is really RESEARCH!! That way, I'll have all the info I need to make the best decision when the time comes. I comfort myself knowing that RESEARCH is a healthy activity that lets me satisfy my obsession at the same time!

Enjoy the anticipation, it's part of the fun!
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mctrekkie, the time has at least been going fast. I'm up to my neck with work so I'm really going to need this cruise when the time comes.

I've heard that the Alaska cruises are becoming more popular with children especially if they are old enough to take in the spectacular scenery and understand it. I'm sure your DK would be fine at 15.

SeattleGuy
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Hey Seattleguy, We've been on a lot of these things and I still get excited

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to celeste

I am so happy to see that I am not the only first time cruiser obsessing about cruising. I spend more time on-line reading every piece of information I can find. I've called my TA at least 6 times due to things I learned from this message board. I'm not leaving until July 06! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Looking back on it I'm sorta embarrassed about my crazy behavior. The wait wasn't that bad once I put it out of my mind and got busy with other things. However, the agony is setting in once again--I got 6 1/2 weeks to go and its becoming increasingly difficult to think about other things, but still nothing like it was before.
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:35 PM
First Mate

Wow!, seatleguy37....you're down to only 34 days!...you must be getting so excited! We went on a 5 night cruise at the end of Feb and 2 days after we got home we booked an 11 day cruise in Oct. A couple nights after that my husband and I looked at each other and said, "we CAN'T wait til Oct" so we called Celebrity and had our booking changed to April 19th......yup, only 10 days left to wait! Then I decided that I'd take my 84 yr old Mom on a cruise in May so booked that. Today I finally re-booked the Oct cruise.....4 cruises this yr.....it doesn't get any better than that! I live in a constant state of planning and excitement. In fact, most nights I have a hard time falling asleep what with "cruise thinking". Anyway, point is.........welcome to the truly addicted!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Admiral

For us, months of waiting is almost over. Just 3 days till we fly the big bird to Hong Kong. Then 3 days there and board the Statendam for 35 days of China, Korea, Japan, Russia, Alaska and Vancouver.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:18 PM
First Mate

Wow!.....35 days!.......have a super time!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Richstacy, I've been watching your countdown clock all this time because I knew once you left that mine wasn't far off. Have a great time, I've heard great things about the Statendam.
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Popsec, I have "late night cruise thinking syndrome" big time. Last night I just couldn't fall asleep with the thousands of thoughts flying through my head about what needs to get done. Yes, I have 5 weeks, but with work my weekdays are limited. It boils down to getting everything done over the 4 weekends available to me. Help!! It will be better when I have those darn documents; then I will feel like its full steam ahead-pun intended.