Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2005, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Meclizine Dramamine or the patch?

Ok, there is a big debate raging on one of the other cruise websites regarding meclizine/Bonine vs. the patch. I'm curious as to the opinions here.

Many people have recommended meclizine because they claim it doesn't make them drowsy...what?!! I've used meclizine for land-based motion sickness and it practically put me in a coma. So are we talking about the same drug? Am I missing something? Even when I've cut the dose in half I needed an immediate nap. Any ideas here?

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:36 PM
Captain

on our frist cruise my mother in law give me bodine she said would't
make you as sleeply as other brands she was right it didn't make me
sleeply i still use it when we go cruising
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:07 AM
Passenger

Default meclizine

Don't take meclizine! Unless you want to sleep the cruise away...

Maybe my body reacts differently to the drug that other people's bodies do, but if I take meclizine I pass out.

Just wanted to give my input - Although I really don't know what works best. Have a great cruise!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:00 AM
Admiral

you and only you can tell how your body is going to react to any medication.
Bonine - seems to make you less drowsy than Dramamine. Dramamine does come in a non-drowsy formula- haven't tried that one.
Bonine is fine for the mild to moderate queezies,if however you are prone to severe motion sickness (plane, train, bus car) then you should talk to your doctor about the patch. The main ingredient in the patch is a derivitative of an anti-seizure medication. It has side-effects as all medications do., again the patch is for severe motion sickness.
Try the Bonine at home before you cruise to see how you react.
The ships have wonderful stabalizers you might not even need anything. Its a good idea to have a back-up plan just in case.
Another good option for mild queezies is the Sea Band, or try the ginger remedy- ginger candy, ginger cookies, it even comes in a capsule formula. The ginger remedy works great for me.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Default Dramamine

Just for fun I went to Wal-Mart today at lunch and found all the different motion sickness remedies available. There was a generic brand that DID not list drowsiness as a side effect, but that makes me wonder how effective it is. I also found the less-drowsy and regular Dramamine. Even the less-drowsy Dramamine listed possible drowsiness as a side effect. There was also Bonine, which of course causes drowsiness, and some kind of drops that I hadn't heard of, but that also had the side effects.

As a first time cruiser who does get motion sickness, I'm going to carry along the less-drowsy Dramamine, and also see about the pressure point bracelets. I figure that the worst case scenario is that I'll have to pay a visit to the ship's doctor!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dramamine

[
As a first time cruiser who does get motion sickness, I'm going to carry along the less-drowsy Dramamine, and also see about the pressure point bracelets. I figure that the worst case scenario is that I'll have to pay a visit to the ship's doctor![/quote]

Nikle, If you are a fist time cruiser subjdct to moiton sickness, my advice is skip the dramamine. Meclazine (Bonine is far more effective and causes less drowsiness). If you don't encounter rough water you won't need a thing, even if you are prone to motion sickness, but have the Bonine handy just in case you hit a rough spot. Bob Vayage!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I took the non drowsey dramamine every morning and didn't have a problem with motion sickness or drowsiness.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I broke down and emailed a doctor friend of mine and this is what he told me:

Dramamine works on the inner ear only; so if you take it once the nausea has started, it's too late. I forgot what drug he said was in it but its classified as an anti-motion sickness drug only.

Meclizine, on the other hand, is an anti-emetic as well as an anti-motion sickness drug working on the stomach AND the inner ear allowing you to take it well after the nausea has started preventing vomiting. It's also classified as an anti-histamine, which accounts for the "hangover-like" side effects. He told me if allergy pills make you drowsy, so will Meclizine, but he recommended it over Dramamine.

He recommended 1/4 to 1/2 doses taken early in the day. A brief nap will help alleviate the hangover the next morning. He also said no alcohol whatsoever while taking it.

He didn't say anything about the patch.

-Steve
Old November 25th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Steve,

Ok, there is a big debate raging on one of the other cruise websites regarding meclizine/Bonine vs. the patch. I'm curious as to the opinions here.

Many people have recommended meclizine because they claim it doesn't make them drowsy...what?!! I've used meclizine for land-based motion sickness and it practically put me in a coma. So are we talking about the same drug? Am I missing something? Even when I've cut the dose in half I needed an immediate nap. Any ideas here?

I doubt that you will need anything for seasickness.

Most ships today are large enough to span several waves, so the wave action does not affect them significantly. They also use weather forecasts and their navigation radars to avoid significant storms, and they have stabilizers that counter the little bit of motion that the waves otherwise might cause. In nineteen cruises including two crossings of the Atlantic, I have yet to find a ship with enough motion to cause a problem even for the most sensitive of stomachs.

Norm.
Old November 25th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
In nineteen cruises including two crossings of the Atlantic, I have yet to find a ship with enough motion to cause a problem even for the most sensitive of stomachs.

Norm.
Norm.. then you've been VERY luck!

The chances are indeed low that you'll encounter seas so rough that the motion will bother you. However, I have been on cruises where many passengers and crew have succumbed to sea sickness.

As good as stabilizing systems are, and no matter how large the ships are, the forces of mother nature, in the form of winds, underwater squalls, etc. do affect them.
There's always "motion in the ocean", so it all depends on how susceptible a person may be to motion sickness.

What I wouldn't recommend is mixing and matching. I've seen people wearing enough patches to hold together a blown inner tube, combined with wrist bands, and they'll tell you they also took three bonine that morning
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

.. then you've been VERY luck!

I'm not convinced that it's luck at all. As an lieutenant in Uncle Sam's Navy, I crossed the North Atlantic on a 40,000 ton helicopter carrier with 800 feet of flight deck, 20' to 30' seas the whole way, and no stabilizerrs. The ship's chaplain had arranged a "steel beach picnic" out on the flight deck for Easter Sunday, which we had to cancel because surf was up on the "steel beach." We had 10' to 12' waves rolling down the whole length of the flight deck!

That trip was great fun! Think of your favorite ride at the local amusement park -- only it does not stop after five minutes. Instead, it runs continuously for three weeks!

Alas, cruise ships don't go there....

As good as stabilizing systems are, and no matter how large the ships are, the forces of mother nature, in the form of winds, underwater squalls, etc. do affect them.
There's always "motion in the ocean", so it all depends on how susceptible a person may be to motion sickness.

Yes, and there's always the isolated big wave that can cause the ship to roll unexpectely, too, and there's no way that stabilizers can anticipate and neutralize such a wave. Nonetheless, cruise ships generally avoid anything that might be unsettling to passengers because the cruise lines don't want unhappy customers.

I suspect that the number of people who would have a problem with the resiculal "motion in the ocean" that one ordinarily encounters on a cruise ship would be less than 0.1% of the general population. Also, the purser's (or "guest relations") desk has packets of medicine that will solve the problem very quickly if it arises. Thus, for most folks, the best strategy is to forego the chemicals, wrist bands, etc., until you find out that you really do need them.

BTW, I have known people to get sick on cruises, but rarely was motion the cause of the illness. Some folks occasionally manage to pick up a virus, like Norwalk, en route to the ship, and occasionally somebody eats something that turns out to be bad. Illness from these causes is no more likely than it is ashore, but mal de mer is even less likely.

Norm.
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Norm, I don't know where you've been. It's true that you may go through 3 or four cruises, especially in the Caribbean in Jan or Feb with very little motion, but I Have seen 30ft+ seas off the coast of Australia in April, been chased by a typhoon in mid-Pacific in February and survived the roaring forties and the southern latitudes between cape Horn and Antarctica all on 5 star, mid to large cruise ships. Once in 1983, we saw every item on every table in every stateroom on the Crystal Harmony hit the floor off Australia -- stabilizers be damned. The finest dining room on the seas was virtually empty that night. It most certainly can happen -- and when it does Norm, you will not believe that anything that big can move that much. The wise cruiser has experienced this, usually more than once, and packs some Bonine just in case. It makes all the difference in the world.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old November 26th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm from a port town and I've been on the water thousands of times via boats/ferries; I'm no stranger to the rocking and rolling of the ocean. And I welcome it to some extent on a cruise. To me, that is what makes being on a ship different from other forms of transportation. If it stayed completely still (which is very unrealistic) what fun would it be?
Whether motion sickness occurs or not remains to be seen. On land it almost always happens as a result of losing sight of the horizon, so its very problematic at night. If I'm somewhere on the ship without windows like the showroom then maybe I might encounter some problems.

As far as the debate about never running into high seas that would cause motion sickness; have you ever been on a boat in San Francisco Bay on a good day? Or even Puget Sound during a Pacific Low? I don't think it matters where you are in the world, there are other variables like weather and currents that can have an effect on at least the small to midsize ships.
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Admiral

let me preface this by saying that the following is just my opinion.
Most people over medicate themselves for seasickness when on a cruise ship. I know of people who never, ever, never get any kind of motion sickness at all but they wouldn't even think about setting foot on a cruise ship without having Bonnine in their system.
I think that it is a good idea to have the Bonnie as a back-up plan.
Unless you are prone to motion sickness when you fly, drive or ride chances are that the slight motion of the ship will not bother you.
If you are of the unlucky few who suffer from motion sickness no matter what you do then i would suggest that you talk to your doctor about using Bonnie or the patch.
Another point to ponder is that it might not even be motion sickness. it could be all that rich food and alcohol that your body isn't used to having.
If you feel queezy after a meal, try taking Rolaids, Tums or whatever then get outside into the fresh air and get moving, go for a walk, a swim. If that doesn't help you then take your Bonnine. The worst thing you could do is to go back to your cabin and lie down, that will make things worse. Get up get outside into the fresh air and get moving. Having some starcy carbs in your stomach also helps (crackers, rolls, bread)
I am a true beliver in the ginger remedies. I will have a glass or two of gingerale at sailway and then i am fine for the rest of the cruise. Gingersnap cookies, crystalized ginger candy and ginger capsules also work great.
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Admiral

I own an offshore fishing boat and won't leave the dock without Dramamine.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Passenger

Almost any kind of medication will put me to sleep, so I was very leary on our 1st cruise. I went to the Dr. and she gave me the patch. It worked wonderful, at least I was never sick, and I also did not feel drowsy. My husband and I put the patch on in the morning before we left the hotel to go to the docks. We only used one each for the entire cruise. I know that we will use them again when we cruise in April.
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:37 AM
Admiral

I took the Dramamine with me but never used it. I'm use to being on the Great lakes on my boat so I guess the rocking was a non-issue for me and my DH. I did see a lot of people with that little patch behind the ear. I'm guessing it would make for an interesting tan line. hahahaha

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I just went on my first cruise a week ago. I brought two tubes of Dramamine with me and I went through the whole thing in a few days. It did nothing to help me at all. As I started running low, I went to the ships stores and bought some meclizine, a chewable 24hr pill, since it was the only med they had. I took one before bed that night and I felt great all day long the next day. I kept taking it every night and I felt fine. Compared to the 4 pills or more I'd take a day of the dramamine with no relief, this was amazing. My last pill on the cruise lasted me all the way up until I was on my second flight home the next night.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Different medicines work great for different people. I personally cannot take meclazine. It has a drowsy effect on me. However, I have "yet" to suffer from seasickness. The closest I came was just over a year ago on Norwegian Epic. The winds were so strong that the ship was pinned to the dock in Cozumel and we could not leave until morning. Once we left the Captain wanted to make it to Miami as fast as possible and in heavy seas.

I sat out on the balcony and watched the waves for about ten minutes. Wrong move. I started feeling very nauseous. Once inside it took about twenty minutes to feel better.

I have a good friend who is a retired Navy Commander and he has said: "I don't care who you are or how tough you are. If you are on the sea long enough, at some point, you WILL get seasick."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me

Last edited by Mike M; January 17th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Different medicines work great for different people. I personally cannot take meclazine. It has a drowsy effect on me. However, I have "yet" to suffer from seasickness. The closest I came was just over a year ago on Norwegian Epic. The winds were so strong that the ship was pinned to the dock in Cozumel and we could not leave until morning. Once we left the Captain wanted to make it to Miami as fast as possible and in heavy seas.

I sat out on the balcony and watched the waves for about ten minutes. Wrong move. I started feeling very nauseous. Once inside it took about twenty minutes to feel better.

I have a good friend who is a retired Navy Commander and he has said: "I don't care who you are or how tough you are. If you are on the sea long enough, at some point, you WILL get seasick."

Take care,
Mike
I've never been sick either, but each time I board, I wonder if this will be the cruise. I figure sometime when the time is right, it might happen.

Last edited by Mike M; January 17th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.