Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default First time cruiser needs advice

Hello,
My Dh and I just booked our first cruise (together) for May 7th on Carnival, this past weekend. I am so excited and have been ever since we booked.
My question is has anyone sailed on the Victory to the WC??? We will be visiting Cozumel, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman? Was wondering what recommendations for excursions and such. It is a 7 day cruise.....how many formals should I take? Will we be able to spend ample time at each location? Help!!
[/img]
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The western caribbean offers some of the best excursions. Sting Ray City in Grand Caymen is amazing fun, and something imho you shouldn't miss.

In Jamaica, climb Dunn's River Falls. Looks harder than it is, and it is FUN!
Stop in at Margaritaville afterwards.

For Cozumel I like to rent a car. Not a hard island to drive on, at least as far as getting lost. Only one main road around the island. Lots of beaches to stop at. If you're there in the evening, lots of clubs to stop in at.
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I agree with Kuki for Grand Cayman. The Stingray Snorkel/Sandbar trip is great. We did it two years ago with Soto's Cruises and and had a great time.

For Cozumel you might want to check out cozumelinsider.com. Sherrie is right on the island and can let you know what's up and running. I've booked several excursions through her over the years and have never been disappointed.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:15 PM
First Mate

In Grand Cayman, I also recommend going to Stingray City. The rays are amazing! Out in the open, swimming around your legs like flying kittens! Here is a link to our pictures from our excursion on Captain Bryan's Buccaneer: http://community.webshots.com/album/530801710NJTzFf

In Cozumel, if you want a nice day at the beach you can go to Paradise Beach. We also did some snorkeling there through Cozumel Insider tours. Here are pictures from that day: http://community.webshots.com/album/536739246hJVpHx Things have changed since Hurricane Wilma, but I hear they are getting better!

Have a fabulous cruise!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the input. I will put Dunn's River Falls, and Sting Ray city on my list. I can't help but be excited and looking at the pics from Sheffie web site and all the others made me even more so!!!! May is soooooooooooo far away. But so much to plan for, shopping, packing list, planning, etc.
Oh well off to work now.........wish I could just stay here and surf cruise sites!

Thanks ya'll!!!
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Admiral

"maxi" you will have two formal nights on a 7 day cruise.
The first formal - The Captains Gala Welcome Aboard is the "dressier" of the two formal nights, if you have something ultra special this is the night to wear it.

If you like to snorkel or want to try it i would highly recommend booking a ships excursion out to the Palencaar Reef when in Cozumel - this place is amazing and the snorkeling is sooo easy.

Grand Caymen - Sting Ray City/Sandbar is a must - you can book independant - lots of reputable local tour companies to choose from.

Jamaica - Dunns River Falls is a blast - if you can arrive by water(excursion) you will avoid the aggressive vendors at the marketplace at the top of the falls. There are also beautiful plantations to tour, you can tube the river or take a leisurely raft tour of the Martha Brea River.