Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Passenger

Default I guess I am just dense!Puhleeze explain sign and sail card

[After reading all the posts about the sign and sail card,I STILL don't understand!
When I come on the ship,go to the Purser's desk,do they then automatically charge the 10 dollars per person per day to my credit card that I provide...I mean,right then,the whole amount?? Do I tell them to add some more money to the card for incidentals or pay that at the end of the trip?
Then,if I don't like the service,I go back to the desk and ask them to take it off?!
My TA said that they provide vouchers also...I guess envelopes,to give MORE to the staff,the last night of the cruise? That they are put in our room?[/b]
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Your sail and sign card is your "ship charge card" and linked to which ever credit card you tell them to when you check in. Each day your purchases and tips will be added to it and on most ships you can check your balance on the TV screen. Approximately a $200 per person charge is put on your CC the first day then very early in the morning of your final day a statement is slipped under your door in put in your mail slot outside your door. Check it over and be sure it is accurate. The final total is then sent to your CC for payment. Ours usually reached our CC in less than 5 days.

Yes you can adjust your tips and yes you can give more in envelopes. If you believe you are not getting the service you expect, go to the Purser's desk and try to have the problem corrected ASAP. Don't wait to the end of the cruise to complain about something that could have been fixed in the beginning. We are going on our 20th cruise soon and we have never reduced our tips, we have always given a little extra to those we think deserve it. Everyone has always worked hard and at least provided the minimum service. Remember they only make about $5/day and work hard to make you happy and earn $ for their familes. Greet them each day with a smile, ask about their familes and they will treat you with the same respect.

Have a great time!!!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 29th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Passenger

Default $200 per person charge? OMG

This is the first time I have heard of this! I thought it was 10 dollars per person per day.....ARRGHH!
Old April 29th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, its $10.00 per day, per person, they take it out daily, but the total of your sign and sail card will be charged at the end of the cruise, only lump sum with all your purchases, tips, etc. You can check it usually through your cabin TV daily.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Admiral

rebster,
To clarify the $200/pp, it is just a "hold" on your credit card not really a charge. Different cruiselines have different hold amounts. Once we used cash and had to give them $300/pp. The actual amount you spend/charge will be charged to your CC at the end of your cruise. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

I think what CACruiser meant by the $5 per day, (correct me if I am wrong) is that the staff that work for the cruise line only earn a wage of that amount from the cruise line. They all work for "Tips" to make up the balance of their wages for the week in order to provide for themsleves and their families. The same way a resaurant server only makes $2.15 per hour and work for their tips in order to make a living.

Hope that clairifies the subject.
CACruiser, please correct me if I am wrong.

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:06 PM
Admiral

nothing gets charged to your credit card until the end of the cruise. You keep a running tab basically that you can check on, either via the television or at the Purser's Desk.
Depending upon which line you are sailing on you may choose to have the automatic tipping removed from your sign and sail account and you may tip the "old fashioned" way with the envelopes at the end of the cruise.(our preference)