Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Passenger

Default air freshener do I need it?

i do not smoke.Should I bring air freshener to spray the room down when I get there?Also do you really use the post it notes and highliters?what about the waterproof containers to hang around your neck.Do you use them?Thanks to everyone for answering and helping out a newbie
Old April 30th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not sure about the air freshener. We went on the Miracle last Oct. and didn't need it in our room. The highliters we used to mark things in the Capers that we didn't want to miss and also we went to the shopping talk and used them to mark places we wanted to shop. The post it notes we used to leave notes for our room steward. I also used the waterproof container when we went jet skiing to keep our money and sail and sign cards safe.
Old April 30th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Admiral

I agree with Nikkiy, we also used the highlighters, post it notes and waterproof containers too. The post it notes also come in handy to leave notes to others in your cabin if you are at spa appts, swimming, giving out email addresses, etc. I have been bringing a room freshner for manyyears. We have never experienced any bad odors, we just like the fresh smell. I buy one of those free standing gel type from Renuzit and put it in a corner. We love the rain fresh smell and it is so nice to come in late at night to a great "home" smell. At the end of the cruise, you can close it and finish it at home. We also bring a few quart ziplock bags. We like to take a wet wash cloth in it with us on excursions.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Take the air freshener...Not for the smokey smell in cabin but for the bathroom. Remember you are in a small room with only one bathroom. So unless you are traveling with only yourself I would suggest taking it for other odors!
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Admiral

we just open the balcony door and let the fresh air in!
Highlighters are great for marking in the daily ships paper things you want to do.
The cabin stewards do a great job cleaning and the ships have very good ventilation systems, have yet to encounter any "smells" from a previous occupant.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This is one of those questions where it's: "Up to you."

I personally have never used a highlighter. Circling things on the program iwth a pen has always worked but a highlighter may be good for someone else.

I do carry a small travel size air freshner of Ozium air freshner. Just in case but have never had to use it except in the bath.

I don't use Post Its. I use a bit of ship's stationary for a note. If you do use a post it, please don't' stick it on the TV. More marks for the attendant to clean.

I do use a waterproof wallet for snorkeling. I find it invaluable instead of leaving valuables such as credit cards, and money on the beach.

Ziploc bags are nice for packing a sandwich or storage and take up little space.

Packing tips and lists are great but after awhile you have to figure out what works and makes sense for you. I often take a leatherman super tool and a telescope with me. I doubt that makes sense to many people.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me