Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Beginner

Default Carnival or Royal Caribbean???

So I am new here and I was wondering if you guys could help me out some. My BF and I have decided to go on a cruise together. We are both in our early 20s. I have been on a cruise once before (maybe 10 years ago) and he has never been on one. Problem is which line to go for. We're trying to decide between Carnival & Royal Caribbean. We'd like a ship with decent food, tons of activities that don't cost a lot extra and decent size rooms. We are thinking of doing a balcony also. BF smokes but hopefully that'll change by next year. Also, which do you think would be better, Eastern or Western? So many decisions. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
First Mate

Either line would be a great choice. Carnival does have bigger cabins, but realisticaly, how much time do you really spend in your rooms other than sleeping and changing/showering. RCI ships offer an abundance of activities, especially if you are on one of the voyager or freedom class ships, much more than you will find on any other ship at sea....and almost all of them are at no additional charge. Food is about equal on both lines although many will say one is better than the other. Food is very subjective depending on ones taste... what one person loves, the next person hates.

Eastern or Western? Both have great qualities to them... just depends on what you want to see in the islands you visit. Try checking out some of the excursions in the ports... that migh help you make up your mind.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I have to agree with the previous poster. I don't think you can go wrong with either line. I have noticed that Carnival tends to have a more active night life (at least on the ships we've been on). I like Carnival for the room size. Both lines have great food and entertainment. I've found the service is slightly better on Royal Carribean. We prefer the Western Carribean as we tend to be a very active family. Cave tubing, snorkeling, swimming with the sting rays have been some of our favorite activities.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Admiral

unless both of you are over 21, you cannot cruise unchaperoned
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Beginner

Default Thanks

Thank you guys so much. It's nice to hear other peoples opinions since it's been so long since I've cruised.

And LisaK, we'll both be 23 when we go so it works out. It's the reason we've waited this long to go at all. The first time we tried we couldn't go alone because we'd only be 20. Which kind of sucks when you have the money to go, but can't over a technicality. Oh well. We'll appreciate it more now I think.

What do you guys think of cruising the Caribbean in Sept? Have any of you gone?
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Admiral

If you decide to cruise in September you need to be flexible. September is smack dab in the middle of hurricane season. If you don't mind the possibility of ports being changed, routes being diverted because of weather, you can get some very decent deals in September.
I would pick the Voyager Class ships or the Freedom of the Seas - Royal Caribbean. You will find the most to do on these ships.
As for the route: Eastern - gorgeous white sandy beaches with turquoise waters, good snorkeling, really good shopping.
Western - more active route - swimming with Sting Rays, climbing falls, tubing, zip-lines, caves, Mayan ruins, dolphin swims, parasailing, great snorkeling, very nice beaches.
Old June 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM
StephenAGoreJr

I am in the early 20's bracket and I would reccomend Royal Caribbean. I would also pick western over eastern. I love the ports so much more. WHen i went last march there were over 200 people in the 20-24 age range. Maybe doesnt sound good to the older crowd but most didnt mind. It was a great time. The age doesnt matter though everyone talks to everyone on these things. Thats why i LOOOOOOVE cruising. Go royal caribbean and go west.
Old June 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Admiral

my personal choice would be the Royal Caribbean either the Voyager Class or the new Freedom of the Seas.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
Captain

on the two cruise with carnival we have had good service,good food
and fun shows i find the carnival staff to be friendly and helpful
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrvyGrl84
What do you guys think of cruising the Caribbean in Sept? Have any of you gone?
During Hurricane season.
First timers.... :eek:

This is a hit or miss - the storm that may be there - that is.

I think Royal Caribbean is the way to go - lots of activities.
Big ships. More stable in rough weather.
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Passenger

CARNIVAL CHEAPER,BIGGER ROOMS,MORE FUN,SIMPLE AS THAT.
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

I can't help you on the destination, however we just took our first cruise with Royal Caribbean, and were so impressed that we will book with them again in the future. As for the room size, we had Deck 9 superior balcony on the hump on Serenade of the Seas to Alaska, a Radiance class ship. I have some photos posted in the gallary under Serenade O/S 06.18.06 if you want to check them out. Hope it helps

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006