Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Beginner

Default How formal are formal nights?

Hi - first-time cruiser departing from NY a week from today. I'm very excited!

One quick question, though - I'm a little confused as to how formal the formal dinners are going to be. I've heard conflicting reports about this, and I'm not sure what to pack. I've read that men wear a suit or a tux, but for women - do I go with a floor-length gown (not quite a bridesmaid gown, but close)? I really only have either that or sun dresses - nothing in the middle, and I understand that sun dresses are more appropriate for informal nights. If the particular cruise line or ship matters in terms of formality, I'll be on the Carnival Legend. I don't want to look under OR overdressed.

Also, for an 8-night cruise, how many formal nights would you expect?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:30 AM
First Mate

dinky, welcome aboard!
There should be two formal nights on your cruise. Please do not get too anxious over this. IT seems to cause many folks to become stressed. I suggest going to the Styles forum on this site. I am sure that our female cruisers can put you at ease.
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

You will have two formal nights on an eight night cruise. Here is an idea of some formal attire. The woman on the right has a full length white dress. The guys all have tuxedos but dark suits would be just fine. The guy in the red bow tie burned it soon after the cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Pack both - you will have need for that. Your gown will be perfect for formal nights, and your sundress will be perfect for casual nights. IF your sundress is on the dressier side, you could pair it up with a dressy shawl or passima, dressy sandals, pretty earings and you could wear that for formal night.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Beginner

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'm clear on what to do now