Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Beginner

Default Which cruise line for Alaska?

We are planning a trip of a lifetime...a cruise to Alaska...in June 2007. We will be in Portland, Oregon in late June for a church convention and want to then stay and cruise to Alaska. Out of Seattle or Vancover? Which cruise line? We need help, any and all info appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If you could do it out of Vancouver, I'd recommend that, especially since you are already fairly close.. I think you just get to see a little more of Alaska starting from there, plus Vancouver is a lovely city to see.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

We just got back from out trip to Alaska, we sailed out of Vancouver. I personally would also choose Vancouver for the same reason Donna said. We took the Serenade of the Seas, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. It was awesome. Get a balcony room if you can afford it! Check out what ports and glaciers that you want to see, then see what cruise lines go there. We did Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan round trip out of Vancouver.

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Admiral

I'd be less worried about port of embarkation and more worried about ports visited. Seattle and Vancouver are both beautiful cities. Seattle is three hours closer to Portland by car.

I am very partial to any cruise visiting Glacier Bay. On a bad day, Glacier Bay is wonderful, on a good day it's is amazing.

I also like Sitka, Juneau, & Ketchican.

I'm not partial to Skagway, but that's just me. The train ride was a total bore. (But living in the northwest, the train ride was very similar to a lot of attractions in the Oregon/Washington.)

If it were me, I would cruise either H.A.L., Celebrity, or Princess depending on price, ship, and itinerary.

H.A.L. does a lot with excellent naturalists onboard and I love the woolen blankets and wooden chairs on the public areas and decks. We have cruised H.A.L. a few times to Alaska and have been quite happy.

We have also cruised Princess to Alaska and were pleased as well.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Default Which Cruise Line

Highly reccomend PRINCESS CRUISE LINES........

Cheers
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Which Cruise Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie08
I would have to agree with you here. But my reasons are a bit strange.

I'm not a land tour person ... that's just me. The problem with Alaska cruises is that if you don't add on a land tour, your cruise is generally only seven days. Princess has a sailing that goes round trip from San Francisco ... giving you an 11 day cruise. No other line mass market line that I can see does that. So, for that reason, and that reason alone, I would choose Princess for an Alaska itinerary ... even though I'm normally a Holland America girl.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Which Cruise Line

Agree with Rita only because Princess leaves out of San Francisco. That port alone adds greatly to the value of the trip (BTDT). Else, HAL for the 7 day cruise (BTDT, too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie08
I would have to agree with you here. But my reasons are a bit strange.

I'm not a land tour person ... that's just me. The problem with Alaska cruises is that if you don't add on a land tour, your cruise is generally only seven days. Princess has a sailing that goes round trip from San Francisco ... giving you an 11 day cruise. No other line mass market line that I can see does that. So, for that reason, and that reason alone, I would choose Princess for an Alaska itinerary ... even though I'm normally a Holland America girl.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas