Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2006, 12:53 AM
Beginner

Default Please Help! Clueless about cruises-in Texas

Hi,

I am in desperate need of help planning a cruise this fall for my husband and I. We live in Dallas, so we'd like to find a cruise sailing out of Galveston or even Houston. My husband has been on cruises, but as a child with his family - I have never been on one, but have been begging! My husband tonight finally said ok! Yeah!

So I have been pouring over information on the internet for the past 5 hours and feel overwhelmed by how much is out there about cruises! I've been reading on this website about the ships, reviews, etc and just not really getting anyplace. This is what we have narrowed down so far:

- like to take 7 day to West. Carribean
- not picky about cruise line as we know nothing about them
- would really LIKE a balcony, but not sure if my husband will go for that extra splurge!

Here's where I need help:

Where do I book a cruise? Should I book direct with cruise line or will that not get me the best deal? Is it better to book with some of the deals you find on the web?

As for rooms, a little confused about the upgrade, ROS, guarantee thing. Can you book the exact room you want? Or will you pay more by doing that?

We are wanting to travel the month of October, should we book now or wait?

Any advice, tips or help would be greatly appreciated. I just really want to do this right and try and get the best deal - so if we love it, my husband will say yes we can go again!!! :-)

Thanks in advance!

Wendy
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Wendy,
There are a ton of good tips in the "first time" cruiser here, read through those:

First time cruisers

Always a good idea to use a good cruise travel agent, if you need a name or two, feel free to e-mail me.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Wendy- take a deep breath, relax and call a travel agent. I can give you the name of a very reputable cruise travel agency that i have dealt with, and was very pleased.PM me. If you want to sit down face to face, then go to a local travel agent, ask lots of questions so that way your agent can find the best line and ship to suit your needs.
Balconies are wonderful, that's the only way that we will cruise, but if its not within your budget, then book and oceanview stateroom.
As for booking a guarantee, you do not get to choose your stateroom, the cruise line does it for you, if you go this route, choose a stateroom catagory that you will be happy with, don't book a lower class stateroom in hope of being upgraded, you could be greatly dissapointed. Booking a guarantee increases your chances of an upgrade but upgrades are not guaranteed. It does not cost extra to book an exact stateroom.
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Since you are planning on going in October be sure to buy the trip insurance so that you are covered in case of hurricane. Sorry to add to the things swimming in your head but it is better to be prepared than lose lots of money. Good Luck on your selection and you will have a great time no matter which ship or line you choose! Happy Sailing!
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Select the Rhapsody!!! (Royal Caribbean)

She is a great ship for a newbie. We enjoyed her so much, we have cruised on Rhapsody three times out of Galveston!

The staff is unbelieveable.

LL
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

In addition to what okiemom said.......... Get trip insurance! The catch to it is this...... If you have ANY kind of pre-existing medical conditions, you must purchase your insurance within 7 days of booking your cruise, if not then any pre-existing issues will not be covered in case of emergency. This insurance covers medical, dental, trip delay, lost luggage, etc etc........ depending on what company you buy from etc. I would also highly suggest a TA, at least the first time out anyway.

Good Luck
Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you still need help pm me if you haven't found what you are looking for.