Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Passenger

Default First time and taking an elderly parent

Hi. My 75 year old father is in declining health and has recently told me he wants to go on a cruise (August 2006), before he gets "too old". Neither of us has been on a cruise and he wants to go because he hears it's "nice". He's not much for sightseeing but does enjoy gambling. He likes the idea of "all inclusive" food on the ships.

I'd honestly rather be in Vegas or the mountains of Colorado, but I'm sure I would enjoy this and it will be good for him. Can someone please suggest a 3 or 4 night cruise on a nice ship that isnt too pricey? We would be traveling from Missouri, so airfare will basically be the same to any of the ports.

Thanks for your help!
Todd
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Todd - glad to see that your post made it over to this board.
I will suggest to you again that you seek out a travel agent, sit down with them- tell them what you are looking for, wants and don't wants, likes and dislikes, and let them make suggestions tailored to your needs.
Each cruise line has its only personality shall we say, and they gear towards a certain type of cruiser.
Examples: Royal Caribbean - very family oriented, lots to do on board, day and night especially on the larger vessels. Great teen & kids clubs
Holland American - more of the traditional old style of cruising. Not as active day or night as some of the other lines.
Carnival - middle of the road, mass market line - lots to do day and night,very good kids activities, very good quality Las Vegas type shows, lots of families with small childern seem to gravitate to Carnival- the decor is a bit gaudy for my tastes - too Las Vegasy but that might appeal to someone else.
Princess - very nice line, more of a resort hotel feel to Princess ships, good service, lots to do day and night. Very good kids programs.
Celebrity - put this one in the middle between Princess and Holland American.
This is just an overview and my opinion
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Captain

i took my mom on a cruise couple years and she realy enjoyed her shelf
it was the best vecation she liked so much we booked are next cruise already