Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Passenger

Default 4 Days to go... Nervous as heck!

Well, my first cruise is only 4 days away. Talk about a nervous stomach. I, too, worry about everything that everyone on here has mentioned previously. I keep having to tell myself that everything will be fine!

A few more last minute questions....

1) My 13 y.o. son isn't really a soda drinker. He prefers fruit juices, water, lemonade, etc. Are those items on the fountain card or are they included (free)? How about iced tea?

2) Some people mentioned water-proof containers for id, sign and sail cards, etc. Are they referring to something like a plastic billfold or an actual "container?" Where do you find something like that?

3) Besides finding our cabin, what are the first things we should do when we get on board?

4) Does the cruiseline try to pair up guests of similar size group, demographics, etc. (couples, families, singles, etc.) when making the dining assignments?

5) Turning 40 hasn't been easy on my body and I am a "bigger" woman than I used to be.. Please remind me that there will be other bigger women on board and I shouldn't worry so much about what I look like in a bathing suit!

That's it for now. I really appreciate your help in calming my nerves. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
OzzyMom
Fascination - 7/2006

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Admiral

1) My 13 y.o. son isn't really a soda drinker. He prefers fruit juices, water, lemonade, etc. Are those items on the fountain card or are they included (free)? How about iced tea?

The water is safe to drink onboard and they also have free iced tea and lemonaide available.

2) Some people mentioned water-proof containers for id, sign and sail cards, etc. Are they referring to something like a plastic billfold or an actual "container?" Where do you find something like that?

The one's I've seen look like the size of a cigarette pack (maybe a bit bigger). They usually have a string and you can put it around your neck. They sell them in luggage stores and I believe you can also get one once onboard.

3) Besides finding our cabin, what are the first things we should do when we get on board?

RELAX, RELAX, RELAX.....Then explore the ship.

4) Does the cruiseline try to pair up guests of similar size group, demographics, etc. (couples, families, singles, etc.) when making the dining assignments?

Yes

5) Turning 40 hasn't been easy on my body and I am a "bigger" woman than I used to be.. Embarassed Please remind me that there will be other bigger women on board and I shouldn't worry so much about what I look like in a bathing suit!

Definitely, do not worry about that. You will see all shapes and all sizes. Just go and have a great time.

That's it for now. I really appreciate your help in calming my nerves. Your input is greatly appreciated!

I can understand your nervousness...but please don't be nervous. You will have the time of your life. Just remember to be flexible and go with the flow. Don't try to do everything on this one trip. Have a great time....and be sure to let us know how it goes.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Captain

i'm going on my thrid cruise and i still get nervousness i will be that
way until i get on the ship when i get on the ship i start to relax
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Ozzy- fruit juices seem to be a tricky issue lately. IF you serve yourself from the buffet then yes the juices are free, if however you order juice from a server or from the bar, and they ask you for your card, then you will be charged for that, same goes for lemonade and iced tea. Tap water is very good, it just needs to be chilled,buy a few sports bottles in port and refill from the tap as needed. bottled water you pay for.

You can also get a holder for your card in the sporting goods section of Walmart, its what you use for fishing license. Getting a lanyard for the card is a good idea, you will see lots of folks doing this. For me personally,I don't bother with the card around my neck, i have my small fanny pack that goes with me wherever i am during the day time. DH has zip pockets in his shorts and his swim trunks.

Relax, go to the buffet, have lunch, get a frou-frou drink, explore the ship,
make salon/spa appointments, make dinner reservations if you are going to try one of the alternative restaurants. Register your son at the teen center.

If you request to be seated at a large table, they will try to pair you up with similar passengers.

You will see men and women of all shapes and sizes, don't worry about that.

The only truly important thing that you need to remember is your passport. Make sure that everyone has their passports physically on them before you leave the house. Everything else can be replaced or bought.

You will have a great time!! Try not to do everything, it will be tempting, but you really need to budget your time and activities - a lot of first timers try to do to much and come back from their cruise more tired than before they left.
Old July 29th, 2006, 09:26 AM
First Mate

Default 4 Days to Go .........And Nervous as Heck

Ozzy

These guys have hit the nail on the head with their answers. We just returned from our first cruise in June and were a bit worried until the great people on this board calmed our fears. Kick back - do not worry about anything except getting to the ship on time. You & and yours are going to have the time of your life.

crabbie1

Alaska - June 2007
Hawaii - June 2006