Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Passenger

Default 1st-timers, many questions, cruise 9/18!

okay, I've read all the articles & browsed the forums and still have a few questions -- hope y'all can help

we depart 9/18 on Carnival Ecstasy, 5 day western carribean

1 -- for dh, khakis & dress shirt for dinner, correct? Should he mix it up by wearing navy slacks some of the time?

2 -- Going from pool side to other areas of the ship, is a cover-up okay or should one go change? What's most appreciated?

3. -- resort casual for guys on carnival -- denim shorts & solid color t-shirt? khaki shorts w/t-shirt? khaki shorts w/polo shirt? t-shirt would be solid color, nice, no slogans, etc. Oh, and I'm referring to the days at sea, not in port.

4 -- formal wear for ladies -- same thing I wore to a 5 p.m. wedding with dinner reception after, would that work? DH was in wedding party, in a tux, and I was not out of place next to him then....

5 -- dining assignment -- with a family of 5, will we be seated just us or still at a table assignment with others? How many others? Do they usually sit families with each other so other diners don't have to stress over my kids???

6 -- last one -- nursing a baby at meals: which annoys people more, nursing discreetly & fully covered so baby is happy, or distracting baby with food & milk in cup which may mean a cranky baby?

If I leave the table to nurse or to deal with a cranky toddler, what happens to the rest of my meal??

Is a cranky baby tolerable as long as the parents are trying to appease him???

That's about it, I guess...off to the families board & the ports of call board for some questions on those subjects Anyone with advice on that type thing, feel free to follow me and answer over there, too!
mom to 3 great boys, ages 12, 9 & 4
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Admiral

for casual nights most men will be wearing dockers type pants with polo, button-down, collared jerserys or hawaiian print shirts
Suit or suit separates for formal night.
Cover-up is just fine
daytime is always casual- any type shorts with a t-shirt and sneakers or sandals is fine.
You will be just fine for formal night wearing what you wore to the evening wedding.
You can request to be seated at a table just for your family or you can request to be seated at a larger table
If you could time your baby's schedule so that you could nurse in the cabin before dinner would be the best option, you would have a happy, sleepy baby at dinner.Nursing is such a personal issue, you need to do what you are most comfortable with. Discreet, covered nursing is much better than trying to appease a hungry baby. Most people would totally appreciate it if you took a cranky baby out of the dining room. Your waitstaff will hold your dinner until you return
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
If you could time your baby's schedule so that you could nurse in the cabin before dinner would be the best option, you would have a happy, sleepy baby at dinner.

thanks, this is what I plan on, but he sometimes nurses as an escape if things overwhelm him (like a ship's dining room might...)

Nursing is such a personal issue, you need to do what you are most comfortable with. Discreet, covered nursing is much better than trying to appease a hungry baby. Most people would totally appreciate it if you took a cranky baby out of the dining room. Your waitstaff will hold your dinner until you return
thank you I will take him out if he gets cranky, certainly. Just wasn't sure if it would delay dinner for other guests; I had read on some other threads about issues with that.
mom to 3 great boys, ages 12, 9 & 4
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Heather just to clarify a bit. Yes dinner is on a pretty tight schedule, if you have to leave the dining room for a couple of minutes it won't be a problem, if however you think that you are going to be gone for any length of time, ask your senior waiter what you should do.