Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Beginner

Default Booking a Cruise - Canadian

I am just wondering if people book through Canadian Travel agents or the ones in the US? Also do you use an actual travel agency (one that you could go into) or book through an online travel agency either on the phone or directly online? What about the US travel agencies online that offer free insurance as a promotion, does this cover Canadian's as well?

I am traveling in late November with a group of 6 adults. I am assuming that I would have to call a travel agency to book at the least since it doesn't appear that you can book more then one cabin at a time online.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a good travel agent for Canadian's, I am located in Toronto.

Also any other travel hints for Canadian's would be appreciated. We are flying out of Buffalo to Florida and plan to book the flight ourselves.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Welcome to CruiseMates.

Lots of nice people from Canada on this board that I know can help. You were planning on taking a cruise this November? Do you know where you would like to go?

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Beginner

Plan on travelling on either Nov 25th or 26th. Very flexible on where we go and what port we leave out of. Prices on flights are reasonable all over the US right now.

Any suggestions on which trip to take would be great. Although I know that is asking a lot since everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Basically my only criteria is price. I want the most bang for my buck.

I have seen some Norwegien trips out of Texas that were a really good price but the reviews I read all seemed to say that the cruiseline really nickled and dimed people.

I am looking at the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Sea out of Miami, but still need to discuss with family. Also not sure about going to Hati as a location.

It is so hard to choose cause there are good things and bad things about every cruise.
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Admiral

So you plan on traveling to Miami on Thanksgiving Weekend. Yep.. its going to be Thanksgiving here. Its one of the busiest traveling days of the year. Kuki and rollerdonna are Canadian and from what I've read they have great TA's they work with. I suggest you PM them or I can to help you out immediately. A good TA can get you set up as a group. Its running real late so I don't know if you can get cabins together. I suggest you do a little research via expeida.com or www.cruisesonly.com to see whats available. Those sites will give you breakdowns in pricing and where you can go. When you call the TA, you already have a date in mind so it will help things out. The shorter the cruise is the less it will cost. It also depends on what cruise line you pick.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Also any other travel hints for Canadian's would be appreciated.
I'm Canadian, and I'm sorry to say I haven't had much luck with Canadian agents as far as getting the best price.

Though recent changes to cruise line pricing policies make shopping for prices a bit more difficult than it used to be.

Royal Caribbean, for example, doesn't allow agents to discount off the price they themselves offer, with the exception of group rates.

I've booked with several online agencies (which doesn't mean they don't exist on land somewhere with an office to sell to locals... many do) But I wouldn't book it online. I call and talk to the agent directly, even if they are located in different parts of the continent.

I'd check the price for the cruise you're interested in on the cruise line web sites, then call or e mail some agents to compare pricing. A good place to start is some of the advertisers who support this website, as wel know they are all long time cruise agents.
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Most TA's in Canada have to book through tour operators for the cruises EG: AC Vacations or Encore
If you go to the small agents they can discount more than Sears will.

I have had good luck with my TA ...she will even book the flight from BUF
keep in mind that the flights may be early morning so you need a hotel the night before which adds up.

I found the flight times from U.S. airports change often and they usually route you all over the place.
You could check Westjet from YYZ or some of the charter flights and get there faster with less hassle IMHO
You can check some of the last minute deals at
http://www.encorecruises.com/enc/App...entry?Comp=420
http://www.aircanadavacations.com/we...3Dcode__.__CRU
Then call your agent

If you want my TA's number my email is LHT28at yahoo.com

Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:14 PM
Passenger

I booked through a TA after doing a some research on-line. The price that we got was about the same as everywhere else I looked. I like the fact that I can leave from home (wish it was a direct flight but oh well) & a hotel the night before we leave is included.

Next time we cruise, we may book it ourselves but thought for the first one we would go with someone who knew more than we did.

Hope that helps
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel

For my first cruise I booked with a local TA and paid $3500 for just my hubby and myself. OUr second cruise I booked with an online travel site and paid $4400, and we took our kids with us....both were for one week only. This time I called the cruiseline directly and I paid $3800 and this time we are doing two weeks instead of the one. I guess it depends on who you are booking with. Cruising in general is a cheap vacation as compared to a land only vacation. Its the flights from Canada that are outragous!! If you live close to the US then you could get a better deal. I myself do not so I pay an arm and a leg for flights!!!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingAngel
For my first cruise I booked with a local TA and paid $3500 for just my hubby and myself. OUr second cruise I booked with an online travel site and paid $4400, and we took our kids with us....both were for one week only.
Also depends on the cruiseline, time of year and ports of call.
If you did different cruises then the prices are different ....
Did you book with a Canadian online site or USA site?
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Captain

My TA can get the same price or maybe better than the online sites plus if I have a problem I can talk to her and get her to help fix it .
The cruiseline usually will not usually help you out if there is a problem.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel

I had booked with an american online site. not too sure if i can post the name of the site on here or not. but the site was good and based out of florida actually right near fort lauderdale's port.