Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Default How do you book your cruise

On my last cruise, I booked directly with the cruiseline over the phone. It was $10 more than the online site that I had found to be the lowest price. I've seen comments of people saying that travel agents can discount off the list price. Is this actual 'in-person' travel agencies, on line sites, or agents from the actual cruise line?

I am probably looking at Princess or Carnival, but not 100% certain at this time.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You can no longer find "the best price" simply by surfing the TA web sites.

With changes to cruise line policiies, they are not allowed to advertise prices below cruise line prices.... other than group space.

To get an agent's actual BEST price now requires a phone call or e mail inquiry.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I always book with a good cruise travel agent, always will.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Passenger

I looked at several online travel sites and the price was the same as the one right on the Carnival site. Then when I went to book, the online travel site was going to charge me an extra $20 per person for their "conveinience charge" Needless to say, I called carnival and saved some money. Also got a great upgrade!
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Passenger

Donna,
Online TA or In-Person TA?

Thanks
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I looked at several online travel sites and the price was the same as the one right on the Carnival site. Then when I went to book, the online travel site was going to charge me an extra $20 per person for their "conveinience charge" Needless to say, I called carnival and saved some money. Also got a great upgrade!
The cruise line's have set the policy NOT ALLOWING online advertising of prices below their own.

If you surf the net these days, that's what you're going to find

They force advertising to APPEAR as though everyone charges the same as the cruise line, so why not book direct.. it really is FALSE advertising. [b]Many agents are willing to discount something from their commissions to lower the price below what the cruise lines are selling it to you for.[/b]

However, they are not ALLOWED To advertise that price. To get an agencies BEST price now requires a phone call or e mail.

And for the few lines which allow NO discounting at all by agents, the agents can still make up with shipboard credits, and onther onboard perks!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Alas,
She's a travel agent that does a lot of work for Cruisemates, have never met her, so I guess, it would be on-line. I've booked Cruisemates cruises with her and other ones as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Hi Alas,,,
I also use the same agent Donna is refering to,,,have used her for years and am very pleased with what she has done for me. IE what Kuki is saying,,,, She advertises here on Crusemates or if you want to send me a pm I'll give you her info.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Captain

we always use a travel agent we have a real good one this is the only why to do it
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Admiral

I always book with a human being face to face. technology has a way of dehumanizing us, so I will utilize a travel agency until they go extinct.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruizer2004

We've done two cruises and booked both times through the 1 800 number. First was Celebrity Zenith NYC to Bermuda. Second was Carnival Fascination from Miami to Nassau. I prefer doing it this way. Some people swear by their travel agents. You will find what suits you best. I don't like booking online without someone to talk to because we always have questions. Both cruiselines we've used had agents that could answer direct questions about the ship, itineraries and shore excursions. If it's $10 more to book using the 1 800 number compared to doing it online, then so be it. That's not too much considering I like to know what I'm getting for my money.