Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ColoradoSweetheart Send a message via MSN to ColoradoSweetheart Send a message via Yahoo to ColoradoSweetheart
Default Planning first Cruise ... few questions

Okay I am truly working on booking our first cruise ... Questions ...

Eastern Caribbean in early 2008 ... which month is the best?

Are there any theme type cruises (baseball, football, nascar, etc.) that might get my husband more enticed into going? As it is now I'm booking it and either he'll go or I'll change it to my best friend.

Are there any things I can say / show him to get him excited, he knows this is my fantasy vacation, but I want HIM to enjoy it too. Mentioning the bars won't help, he's a 2 year sober recovering alcoholic.

Do you suggest buying airfare thru the cruise line or travel agent or our own?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to smilinohio30 Send a message via Yahoo to smilinohio30

Hi there,

I just wanted to give you my two cents. I enjoyed the caribbean very much both in November and December. Firstly, you really don't have to worry about the hurricane season after the middle part of November. If you can wait until the end of November, or until the middle part of December you get really good rates. My last cruise, 3 of us traveled in December in one cabin, inside cabin, for 1400.00, less than 500 each. Great deal! And the weather was absolutely georgious, not smoldering like it can be June thru August. But, if you must go before that time, April thru May is also good, but probably more costly. But, heck if the cost is not too important the caribbean is great any time of the year, especially if you live in a place with a lot of ice and snow during the winter months!

As for themed cruises, you sometimes are able to find a "special" cruise. I recently seen one featuring Michael W Smith, and I know there was a Nascar one, maybe last year. I have not been on a themed cruise myself by think it would be really fun to do one someday. I know your husband would probably love it. Does he have any hobbies or things he likes to do outdoors? The only reason I ask is because each port has various excursions, it's never a dull moment on a cruise! I am sure he can find lots of things to his liking. If he is not one to enjoy shopping on the islands, or taking a tour, there are a lot of activities that take place on board. I think he will really enjoy himself, he just needs to keep an open mind!

I personally have purchased all my airfare on my own. I save a ton of money that way. I book the cruise then get my airfare. My only recommendation would be to definitely purchase travel insurance, and if you are getting your own airfare, and arriving to your port city on the day your cruise is set to leave, then I would also purchase the port transfers thru your cruiseline. They will be at the airport when you get off the plane and bus you to your cruiseship. They also will provide you transportation back to your airport after the cruise. If you come in a day before, you can stay at a hotel that offers free shuttle service to the port, before and after the cruise, and not have to pay for the transfer service. But, by purchasing the transfers you will know that someone will be there to make sure you get to your ship.

Hope I was at least a bit helpful!
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruizer2004

CS,
First of all which port do you want to go out of and which cruiseline? Ok, your husband doesn't want to do the bars, but is he a casual gambler? (as opposed to a chronic gambler). Does he like to go to the theatre or to a comedy show? We really like the comedy shows we've been to online. Getting there is only half the fun, what kinds of things do you and your husband want to do once you get to your desination? Swim? Snorkel? sightsee? Rent a bicycle, moped or something else? Remind your husband that you can see several destinations without having to pack and repack. I hope you go and I hope he becomes a cruise addict. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens to most people once they cruise for the first time.
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Planning first Cruise ... few questions

There are theme cruises - check

Cruise Roundup: Theme Cruises 2007
http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruisest...les.cfm?ID=349

as well as google.

Check out offered shore excursions for guy things that might be interesting - subs, trains, fishing, etc.

BTW, friends of Bill W. usually have meetings aboard and ships have gyms with TVs.

I generally buy my own airfare (usually fly SWA), but go with the cruise air for this trip to minimize any risk caused by flight delays (my hair is a tad greyer following a fog in Houston that almost caused me to miss a ship The ship waits if their flight delayed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSweetheart
Okay I am truly working on booking our first cruise ... Questions ...

Eastern Caribbean in early 2008 ... which month is the best?

Are there any theme type cruises (baseball, football, nascar, etc.) that might get my husband more enticed into going? As it is now I'm booking it and either he'll go or I'll change it to my best friend.

Are there any things I can say / show him to get him excited, he knows this is my fantasy vacation, but I want HIM to enjoy it too. Mentioning the bars won't help, he's a 2 year sober recovering alcoholic.

Do you suggest buying airfare thru the cruise line or travel agent or our own?

Thank you
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas