Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Beginner

Default Should I Cruise?

There may be no solution or advice for my dilemma, but here it is.

My wife has dreamed of going on a cruise forever. I've always said I would NEVER go on a cruise, but I've taken a deep breath and decided to surprise her with one for our 25th anniversary.

I've been doing a lot of research, and have narrowed down to two possibilities in July, both to the Caribbean (Norwegian or Princess). The shipboard activities look fine, but the shore excursions... oh my. I have no desire to snorkel, swim with the fishes, look at butterflies, go shopping, or ride a bus around looking at scenery.

Truth be told, the shore excursions for a Carnival trip to New England & Canada look more interesting, but I think she'd prefer the romance of the Caribbean.
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Passenger

Why not? There are plenty of people who never get off the ship. You don't have to do any of the excursions.
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Congratulations on your anniversary! What a nice surprise for a lucky lady.

We've been to the Caribbean many times, going again in August, cruised around Hawaii, cruised the Mexican Riviera many times, once to Alaska and last October we finally did the New England/Canada on the RCI's Jewel of the Seas. It was the greatest cruise! We don't do the snorkeling or beaches too much because DH has issues with the sun. We did love swimming with the stingrays in Grand Caymen. I'm not really a shopper (lucky DH) but we do like to take the "best" city or countryside tour and hear the history about the places we visit. We did the lightlhouse tours also. We plan to do book this cruise again, only a longer one, in 2009.

If you book it on a RCI ship, they have the pools with a retractable roof so you can still go swimming in any weather. It is a port intensive cruise but you see some great scenery.

You could even surprise her and renew your vows like we did for our 30th on the Star Princess. DH even surprised me with a new ring! For our 35th next year we are finally branching out and doing our first European cruise out of England! I think it will much like the NE/C cruise. Can't wait.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Captain

Maybe get someone to ask her on side if she had a choice of the Caribbean or Canada what she would prefer.

the Caribbean in July can be very hot!
I would go with Princess before NCL!
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

[color=darkblueMy vote is the Carribean.....bet you have a wonderful time. Be sure to let us know what cruise/ship you decide on.][/color]

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Admiral

find yourself a good travel agent
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Should I Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow
I have no desire to snorkel, swim with the fishes, look at butterflies, go shopping, or ride a bus around looking at scenery.
My BF and I are the same; in no respect are we water people. Our cruise went to Grand Cayman and Calica. We LOVED the Mayan ruins, it was wonderful. Look for a trip to the Western Caribbean if possible where it has a larger variety of the non-water activities; some historical and some adventurous. I think it will have some excursions you will enjoy. Good Luck, Carla
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Captain

i think you should go on a cruise the food is good the shows are great
and you don't have to get off ship ifyou don't want to its just a good why to relax leave all trobles at the pier
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Default 25th Anniversary

Go Princess for the 25th anniversary. A bit more classy. Of course there is also Alaska as a summer destination...

Also, look into various packages the various cruise lines offer to celebrate! Have set up packages for newly weds, new cruisers, etc.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

There will still be fun stuff to do on the ship and hey, there will be less people in the restaurants, so no waiting!