CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   first timer needs big help! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/334968-first-timer-needs-big-help.html)

goLC June 18th, 2007 09:06 PM

first timer needs big help!

Help please! I am trying to plan a cruise for a group of teachers; we're all first-timers and are going during fall break. I have 2 big questions (at least, big for us!) Any advice will be appreciated!
1) There were going to be 6 and now we're down to 5 of us. We were going to get 3 inside rooms, 2 of us in each (we don't plan to be in our rooms much.. just to sleep.) Now we have an odd number; can we fit 3 of us into one inside room, so we'd have 3 in one and 2 in the other? What would be best?
2) We're preparing to get passports on Wednesday; I spoke to a TA on the phone tonight who said we don't need passports, just birth certificate and drivers license. I don't really MIND getting a passport, but if we can save the $100 expense, we can afford to spend more on our rooms or excursions (remember: teachers' salary) I would just die, though, if we got to the ship and couldn't get on without a passport and it was my fault! Or if we got to Cozumel and couldn't get off the boat...

Thanks in advance for your help; I've enjoyed reading all of the message boards; I've been taking notes!

Jane

msblackjack June 18th, 2007 09:31 PM

Re: passports: if you have the extra money; get it because they are easier to keep track off then birth certificates, and eventually you will need them - they pushed back the deadline but you didn't say if you were traveling this fall or next fall ... this fall you can use birth certificates and id

You can get 3 persons to a room; you have to find a room that has Upper and lower bunks --- unless of course you can spring for a suite... which you may want to look into the cost of a suite that may sleep all of you? perhaps a more experienced cruiser knows how many in a suite

reverendjeff June 18th, 2007 10:19 PM

Go ahead and pile in three to a room Jane. Any cruise is a good cruise, and this will probably make for some fun memories. You teachers deserve a break. Don't worry about having an inside cabin, as you said; you will not be in the room much anyway.
Where are you going and on what line?

goLC June 18th, 2007 11:04 PM

Thank you! You people are all so nice; I hope all the people we meet on the cruise will be so pleasant! We're going on the Fantasy, 5 nights out of New Orleans this October. We're so excited, and I know it will be a great mental boost during the first quarter knowing we've got a cruise awaiting at the end of it! We chose the Fantasy because we can drive to New Orleans and save the airfare of flying to Miami or other more southern ports (the airfare was going to cost more than the cruise!) Maybe if we "get hooked" (I think I already am!) we'll make many more excursions in the future! You've been very helpful, and I thank you!

Divemaster June 19th, 2007 04:09 PM

Re: first timer needs big help!

Jane:

Still advise you get the passports as to paraphrase the Governator - "You'll be back!" Plan ahead - then you will not be like so many now paying rush fees at the last minute.

Do try to find a 6th for the cruise - 3 adults in one room will be a bit cramped, unless you upgrade to a larger room, and then that pretty much negates your cost savings of 3 to a room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goLC
Help please! I am trying to plan a cruise for a group of teachers; we're all first-timers and are going during fall break. I have 2 big questions (at least, big for us!) Any advice will be appreciated!
1) There were going to be 6 and now we're down to 5 of us. We were going to get 3 inside rooms, 2 of us in each (we don't plan to be in our rooms much.. just to sleep.) Now we have an odd number; can we fit 3 of us into one inside room, so we'd have 3 in one and 2 in the other? What would be best?
2) We're preparing to get passports on Wednesday; I spoke to a TA on the phone tonight who said we don't need passports, just birth certificate and drivers license. I don't really MIND getting a passport, but if we can save the $100 expense, we can afford to spend more on our rooms or excursions (remember: teachers' salary) I would just die, though, if we got to the ship and couldn't get on without a passport and it was my fault! Or if we got to Cozumel and couldn't get off the boat...

Thanks in advance for your help; I've enjoyed reading all of the message boards; I've been taking notes!

Jane

LisaK July 3rd, 2007 11:58 AM

jane, get the passports, they are the best and easisest form of id to deal with, fyi you need passports to fly now not to cruise yet, heaven forbid something should happen and you need to get off an island in a hurry(medical emergency back home for example) you would have to go thru quite a bit of red tape to get out of say Mexico for example and to get into the US.
As for your room situation, seriously look into a junior/mini suite. It sometimes works out cheaper to do 1 room instead of two. THe only drawback is that you would only have one bathroom.

Divemaster July 3rd, 2007 12:46 PM

Minisuite

Three women - one bathroom. Sounds like something from a Franz Kafka horror story. :shock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK
It sometimes works out cheaper to do 1 room instead of two. THe only drawback is that you would only have one bathroom.

goLC July 4th, 2007 06:17 AM

We wound up getting another 6th person, so we got 3 cabins/2 per. I think that will work well... one bathroom shared by only 2 people will definitely be a plus! We're booked, have our pre-cruise accomodations all set, so now it's just getting our packing lists in order! Thanks to everyone for your kind words of advice! :D

Divemaster July 4th, 2007 10:43 AM

Do take care in the Big Easy. If it were an island, it would be Jamaica, a place where you really have to be watchful. BTW, as your ship exits the river, you should feel where the salt and fresh water merge. At that point the buoyancy characteristics of the water changes and the ship should move.

Dave
Last in Kentucky for kiddo's Boone family reunion 8)

Quote:

We wound up getting another 6th person, so we got 3 cabins/2 per. I think that will work well... one bathroom shared by only 2 people will definitely be a plus! We're booked, have our pre-cruise accomodations all set, so now it's just getting our packing lists in order! Thanks to everyone for your kind words of advice! :D

goLC July 5th, 2007 09:52 AM

Divemaster - we're staying Sunday night at the Holiday Inn by the convention center (because it's beside the Hertz place so we can easily return our rental van) Don't know that we'll do anything in NOLA other than sleep; we'll have driven 8 hours. Is that an okay area to spend one night? The Hertz people will shuttle us to the pier Monday morning. How early can we get to the pier? We're so anxious I think we want to be the first in line! LOL

Divemaster July 5th, 2007 10:47 AM

Kentucky - Lousiana trip

Hi:

Can't comment on that particular location as I have not stayed there. My advice from experience is to stay together as a group and watch your belongings carefully. Check your cruise departure time and contact your line - typically, early boarding is about noon. Please take the time before the drive to do a final check for all your gear and documents. Be sure to keep all your cruise documents, passports, travelers checks in hand *with copies in your luggage*.

Dave

Quote:

Divemaster - we're staying Sunday night at the Holiday Inn by the convention center (because it's beside the Hertz place so we can easily return our rental van) Don't know that we'll do anything in NOLA other than sleep; we'll have driven 8 hours. Is that an okay area to spend one night? The Hertz people will shuttle us to the pier Monday morning. How early can we get to the pier? We're so anxious I think we want to be the first in line! LOL