CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   First-Time Cruisers (
-   -   space bags & vacuum (

alasbound August 26th, 2007 12:33 PM

space bags & vacuum
Anyone been able to use a vacuum (borrow from room steward or something) to pack for return home? The space bags really reduce the room & wrinkles, and will be great for jackets & heavier clothes going to Alaska in Sept on Pacific Princess. But I need to be able to use them on the trip back. Would love to see vacuums in laundry room, since the bags are so useful.

lulu48 August 26th, 2007 04:11 PM

I have only used the small ones that you roll to get the air out.
I am sure if you ask the cabin steward they would let you use the vacuum cleaner

paddletoe53 August 27th, 2007 11:08 PM

i tryed the space bag it don't work for me

Jungle Jane January 30th, 2008 03:23 PM

I have used the vaccuum type and the roll type and what I find works best and it's a LOT cheaper is to buy the HUGE zip lock bags and just lay across it to get all the air out, then ZZIIIIPPPPP. Saves a ton of room and no wrinkles!

rinker250 January 30th, 2008 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by paddletoe53
i tryed the space bag it don't work for me

Ditto....tried a couple different ones and the vacuum was gonna in an hour.

Sheffie February 24th, 2008 06:54 AM

Don't forget about the 50 lb. per bag weight limit on your luggage.

cruise dreaming February 28th, 2008 07:15 PM

I agree with the huge ziplock bag idea....much cheaper. The weight limit is the issue now. I can pack everything I want because of the ziplock bags and have room left over in my suitcase but now I'm over the weight limit :)

rinker250 February 28th, 2008 07:29 PM

Here is another space saving idea:

I throw away my underwear, socks and t shirts rather than tote 'em back home. This also leaves room on the return trip for purchases.