Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Passenger

Default Boarding questions....

Wow! I think you all will hear a lot from me. My hubby and I are celebrating our 4 year anniversary with our first cruise onboard Carnival Glory. Its not until September, but I am sooooo excited. It seems like I HAVE to read something cruise related every time I get a chance. Lol Thank God I found this site.

Anyway, my first question is this....We are sailing from Port Canaveral. We are staying at the Radisson and using the park and cruise option. I just wondered what exactly to expect upon boarding the ship. I know we will have transportation to the Ship. THen what??? Do you walk up in the ship? Do they meet you and take your luggage?

We bought the 'Guarantee Room' Which as far as I understand, we wont know which room we will have until the day of boarding....

We want to board early...how early can we board? Can we go straight to our room?

Do you leave your bag and check in like a hotel? Do they just take your luggage and set you loose?

Are there a lot of people who board early? Does the cruiseline look down on boarding early?

I really want to know what to expect. I hate walking into a situation and not know what to do. Sorry about all the questions.
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

When you first arrive at the port, turn over all your checked luggage to the porters that are there, give them a few dollars per bag and then continue on to the embarkment area, can't miss it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Boarding questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bgreene
Wow! I think you all will hear a lot from me. My hubby and I are celebrating our 4 year anniversary with our first cruise onboard Carnival Glory. Its not until September, but I am sooooo excited. It seems like I HAVE to read something cruise related every time I get a chance. Lol Thank God I found this site.

Congratulations and welcome aboard!

Anyway, my first question is this....We are sailing from Port Canaveral. We are staying at the Radisson and using the park and cruise option. I just wondered what exactly to expect upon boarding the ship. I know we will have transportation to the Ship. THen what??? Do you walk up in the ship? Do they meet you and take your luggage?

Below is a picture of Terminal 9/10: Terminal 10 services the Glory: you will give your luggage -- except for your carry on -- to the porters; the luggage will then be delivered to your room. You will go through the terminal to be processed; i.e. get your cruise documents, confirm your Sail & Sign info and get your picture taken. Then you walk through a gateway/gangplank on to the lobby level of the ship. (I love this walk!) Make sure that your carry on has everythign you want for the first day; often times luggage is not delivered to your room until late afternoon; this is why the dress code is relaxed for the first evening dinner. (I make sure that I have my bathing suit and a change of clothes in my carryon, as well as my makeup etc).

We bought the 'Guarantee Room' Which as far as I understand, we wont know which room we will have until the day of boarding....

You may know sooner than that; probably after the final pyment date you will be assigned a room.

We want to board early...how early can we board? Can we go straight to our room? You can board as early as 11:30 (not a written rule but it is worth it to get there early to be on lido deck for lunch) You will not be able to go straight to your room, rooms are usually ready around 1:00 - 2:00 pm

Do you leave your bag and check in like a hotel? Do they just take your luggage and set you loose?
- hotel check ins are much quicker; the cruise line has to confirm your documents, assign your boarding pass, assign a sail & sign card and take a picture. then yeah, there is another line for the Welcome Aboard souveneir photo; a must for first timers, but I tend to skip that line to get me on board sooner

Are there a lot of people who board early? Does the cruiseline look down on boarding early?

I have noticed that more and more people are boarding early; the cruiseline would probably want passengers to wait until later, so they can process the special parties, like the wedding parties etc. but if they are "open" I am getting on the ship as soon as I can. if they didn't want anyone to board early then they wouldn't let you. I don't think they look down on it, as they are making money soon as you are on the ship; the fru-fru drinks are being pushed and the pool bar is open.

I really want to know what to expect. I hate walking into a situation and not know what to do. Sorry about all the questions.
No problem with your questions..... hope this helps.

Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Passenger

Thank you so much! I feel much better knowing what to expect.
Have a Wonderful Weekend everyone!
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to CM Rob
Default Boarding

I like to arrive on boarding day as early as possible. I will drop off my luggage with the porters. I tend to tip them $3 to $5 depending on the situation. You will enter then enter the terminal. Make sure you have all the required documentation ready; passport and boarding documents. You will have to go through security which typically includes a medical detector. One time in Miami this couple in front of me had to open up one of their suite cases and out falls several bottles of liquor and they fell and broke on the ground, not a great way to start the vacation. Also in port of Long Beach a family was taking pictures at security and they where threatened by to security by having their camera confiscated, they had to delete all the photos on the camera and show the guard they did it. After security check points you will check in with the cruise line, it’s kind of like checking in at the hotel, they check you passport and travel documents and then they will issue you your boarding pass and your room key that also is you’re onboard charge card. You will then proceed to a waiting area and wait for you boarding group number to be called, it’s a smooth process. After your number is called you head to the ship. There will be picture taking so make sure you hair is good.

Sea of Cortez - American Safari
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Martha knocked herself out. Great summary It's essentially the same proceducre for any cruise line anywhere in the world.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10