Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jbfree
Default Another tipping question

First I want to say that I love this site, it helps pass the time by while I wait for my cruise to get here.

My question is that my travel agent suggested not paying the up-front tipping costs of $10 per person per day because she said the staff was less likely to do a good job if I paid before hand. So I'm confused about who I tip? I guess the answer is anyone that does anything for me, right? But I heard they gave out envelopes to tip on the last night, if I tip all along why would I have to tip even more at the end? I also heard that Carnival would add tips on to my final bill and I could basically argue them down or give more? It just sounds like I'm going to be giving hundreds of dollars out on this trip just in tips..

I'm new to cruising and a single women going on the re-vamped Imagination July 28th, I really need this explained to me simply so going into it I feel comfortable and understand everything. All answers greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Admiral

IMHO, what your TA told you is nonsense. If your cruise line has a universal tipping policy why not abide by it. As for the tipping envelopes if you have done the 10% that is purely for service above and beyond, and only if you choose to do it. You may feel your room steward deserves a little something extra for something special he did for you, or a particular bartender, or your waiter -- or not. That 's up to you. But remember that these folks work very hard to please you and they get paid practically nothing except your tips. Whatever you do -- do not stiff them. Many of them have families at home to support -- and almost all of them are fine deserving people.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Passenger

I thought the tipping before hand was a good idea but when my TA mentioned they might not do as good of a job thinking that was all the tip they were getting, it got me a little worried. What would a normal tip be for say a drink or the room steward or a bartender or someone bringing a drink? I don't want to seem cheap but I am a single mother and do not have tons of money for all of this. Thank you for your reply
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Admiral

You don't give a tip for a drink at all, ever -- that 's included in the 10%. If you have a favorite bartender, at the end of the cruise you might want to tip him or her a little extra, or not. We always do the 10 or 15% thing and have NEVER gotten reduced service as a result -- that is utterly ridiculous. That's why I say your TA is not well informed. And that is being nice.

You will be amazed at how well you are treated! I promise! Unless you play it a bit too clever with your room steward: 'Oh I won't tip you unless you treat me like the King/queen of Sheba.' Then of course they will treat you exactly as you deserve to be treated. Like doggy doo. I think that may be your TA's problem. Please feel free to tell the knucklehead I said so

That's just MHO, based on more than 7 months spent on cruise ships in the last 15 years.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Above all, NO do not tip anyone who does anything for you. That is completely unnecessary. The 10% tip yo pay in advance is divided among the staff according to a formula a the end of the cruise. You never have to tip anyone or get any money out, ever -- until the end if you decide you want to tip someone extra.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Thank you soo much for clearing all that up for me, the tipping was giving me anxiety. I'll definetly pay the tipping up front and extra to whomever goes above and beyond. Thanks soo much
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Above all, NO do not tip anyone who does anything for you. That is completely unnecessary. .
If I get room service, or ask for something way above and beyond, hitting the tray with a couple of dollars isn't gonna kill me.
Nov. 2002 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
May 1998 Royal Caribbean Enchantment Mediterranean
Nov. 1996 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean
April 1988 American Hawaiian Hawaiian Islands
Nov. 1986 Regency Western Caribbean
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Admiral

I agree, the room service guy is an exception. A buck or two. but that's out of hotel habit.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Passenger

Ok thanks everyone for the info, I appreciate it. So just so I understand this, I don't have to tip the guys that bring drinks over to me or at the bar after I order? Because that's when i would normally tip, so that one seams odd to me. So I tip the guys that take my luggage and I tip basically everyone else at the end of the trip unless I do the automatic tipping them I would just give extra to whomever I thought deserved it? Do I have it right now?
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Tipping is customary for the service industry and that is what the crew on the ships count on. Most crew members work very hard and long hours to may your cruise enjoyable. Tipping is now added to your stateroom account and charged at the end of your cruise. Daily rates differ but if it's $10 a day that is put in a big pot and then divided between stewards, dinning staff, buffet help and busboy etc. You can check websites for information - especially the website for the cruise line you are booked on - but generally (depending on the daily amount of your cruise line)

Cabin steward/stewardess/attendant, $3 to $4; waiter/server, $3 to $4; assistant waiter/busboy, $1.50 to $2.50; headwaiter/head server, .50 to $1.

If you order a bar drink and sign for it there is a tip automatically placed on the bill ... usually 15%. Check the bill before you sign it to be sure that it's correct.

Enjoy your cruise.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Admiral

You do not have the choice of not tipping in advance...it is automatic and you will see it on your account as a daily service charge. You TA is incorrect on a very basic aspect of cruising... I'd wonder about his/her other qualities.
The only way you can have it removed is to go to the desk and ask that it be removed. They will want to know why and saying that you want to wait until the end won't work.

Any drink you are served will have a 15% gratuity added to it. Drinks in room service have this 15% also..but I toss the guy a couple bucks. Room service food does not have the 15% added to it. When you watch a guy wrestle a couple complete meals into your cabin you'll give him 5 bucks.

I learned that if you want to do something special for an individual they love phone cards. This can't be added to the pool as all other tips (cash included) are.