Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Beginner

Default 1st cruise......Princess or Holland America????

We have just planned our 1st cruise to the Caribbean with Holland America on the Eurodam on November 8. We were torn between the Crown Princess and the Eurodam and we finally decided to put a deposit on the Eurodam as it is a newer ship. We really liked the Crown Princess as well and I'm still torn between the 2.

More advice and/or opinions would be appreciated!

1) I have a 7 and 4 year old . Will they enjoy Club HAL or Princess Pelicans better?

2) My husband and I are in our mid-late 30s, will the Holland America boat too "old" for us?

Has anyone done a Suite on Princess or Holland? If yes, did you like it? Is it worth the extra money?

Our only concern with Princess, RCI and NCL is the passenger capacity,with over 3000 people on them. We don't like crowds too much and fear that it would overwhelm us. We were drawn to Holland because of the simple and classy ships, less passengers and supposedly good food.

My travel agent tells me that my kids are at an age where they will have fun on any ship and since it is our 1st cruise it will be great for them anywhere so he suggested we choose a ship to cater more to our needs. I think our main priorities are a good stateroom, kids club and a good spot to just lay in the sun and do nothing! We just really want to experience cruising and what it's like to be on a ship.
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: 1st cruise......Princess or Holland America????

Greetings from Texas:

Ships carry boats, so the Eurodam is actually a newer ship.
Hard to say which will be better as kiddos will be scarce your week as schools are in session. We don't get Remembrance Day off, although my kiddo ought to get the day off to celebrate the recovery of his distant kinsman (whose greatgranddaughter Elizabeth stays at our cousin Will Farish's Kentucky estate 8) ).

The youth program staff may be better able to provide more attention with less kiddos aboard. HAL will have a slightly older group as many of the HAL folks are repeaters (with only about 100 days with HAL I'm just a newbie ) That said I have sailed HAL since when I was younger than all y'all and have enjoyed every cruise. Have done suites and they are nice, but in my book a balcony attached to a room occupied by kiddos requires an adult always be present as a precaution. As to value for the money, it is all just personal preference and I'm as comfortable in the mountains sleeping under the stars as I am sleeping in a suite. Just less lions, tigers and bears running about.

HAL has a higher staff to passenger ratio and their ships are not megamonsters which take a long time to disgorge passengers, especially when tendering. HAL is simple and classy, not flashy and the food is good. Was even better twenty years ago, but then so was the service back when formal nights meant most guys wore tuxes.

I hardly suggest lying around and doing nothing on your cruise. Make those kiddos walk the deck and play shuffleboard. Might even teach the 7 year old to playchess as there is usually a giant set about. And there are ping pong tables, too.

On Mon Nov 10 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands 7:00am 3:00pm

Drag the kiddos to the either side of the pier in front of Margaritaville to see the small fry that hang out in the coral potholes. They will need their masks to see the critters. On occasion there are long schools of Lilliput proportion.

Wed Nov 12 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00am 5:00pm

Stuff the kiddos in an Atlantis submarine - they meet the minumum age requirements and you don't want them swimming 100 feet down in shark alley.

Fri Nov 14 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 8:00am 4:00pm

There is a waterpark, but I suggest also bringing some shovels and pails as that beach begs for a sand castle. Reef Balls lie straight out from the kiddos waterpark with assorted inhabitants. Take the 7 year old on a paddle boat to the swimming area line and move a float or two. That is where the small crabs hang out. There is also a glass bottom boat.

Alas, I'll be stuck on HAL's Rotterdam when y'all are sailing. Doing the Eurodam in October. Kiddo's cousin is her godmother. Have a nice cruise. Must be nice to carry currency that still has some value. Guess I don't need to tell you about those free decks of cards at the Front Desk that make great free souvenirs - save them for the poor Americans who need wheelbarrows full of dollars now to buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKC22
We have just planned our 1st cruise to the Caribbean with Holland America on the Eurodam on November 8. We were torn between the Crown Princess and the Eurodam and we finally decided to put a deposit on the Eurodam as it is a newer boat. We really liked the Crown Princess as well and I'm still torn between the 2.

More advice and/or opinions would be appreciated!

1) I have a 7 and 4 year old . Will they enjoy Club HAL or Princess Pelicans better?

2) My husband and I are in our mid-late 30s, will the Holland America boat too "old" for us?

Has anyone done a Suite on Princess or Holland? If yes, did you like it? Is it worth the extra money?

Our only concern with Princess, RCI and NCL is the passenger capacity,with over 3000 people on them. We don't like crowds too much and fear that it would overwhelm us. We were drawn to Holland because of the simple and classy ships, less passengers and supposedly good food.

My travel agent tells me that my kids are at an age where they will have fun on any boat and since it is our 1st cruise it will be great for them anywhere so he suggested we choose a ship to cater more to our needs. I think our main priorities are a good stateroom, kids club and a good spot to just lay in the sun and do nothing! We just really want to experience cruising and what it's like to be on a ship.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Admiral

We've been on both Princess and HAL. And it is truly six of one , half a dozen of the other. Both are great. Holland's food is better. The Crown is a drop dead gorgeous ship. All Holland ships are elegant and beautiful, I'm sure the Eurodam will be no exception. for short Caribbean cruises like yours there will be plenty of kids on either ships and both have good programs for kids.

I think you've made a good choice.
Bon Voyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

Princess has a very good youth program and sitting at a nominal fee.

If you want a new ship, try the Western Caribbean on the New Ruby Princess.
You will find that Princess has everything you can desire for your trip.
Note They sale soda cards, try to have the kids share one. you can save a few bucks.
If you want additional savings, I can save you an additional $25 per person Max $50 per cabin for adulds over 18 years.

E-mail me the names as shown on your Passports, I will fill out the Captains Club Referral online. Princess will send you a e-mail for you to receive a discount ID number and Captains Circle Number.
You must be a First time Cruiser with Princess and complete the referral befor booking. You can use any Travel Agent.

I receive a future cruise credit upon completion of your first cruise.
Make sure you put Princess referral on the subject line on the e-mail

Happy Sailing
Daniel Raessner my e-mail is danielraessner@yahoo.com
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Hate to tell you this Danny boy, but your blatant self promotion is not what this site is all about. I notice you did the same thing on another thread! sheesh.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10