Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Passenger

Default Worst sections of a ship to get a cabin?

I will be a first-time cruiser, and don't know much about the layout of a ship and how each deck is in terms of rockiness. I've heard the front of a ship is the rockiest? Is that the case on every ship? I'm assuming the cabins in the front on the lower decks will be the rockiest parts. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Btw, I will be on the Norwegian Spirit, if anyone has any insight on NCL ships. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Worst sections of a ship to get a cabin?

True - cabins closest to the bow at the waterline will give you an E ticket ride. That said, the D ticket would be cabins under the pool on some older ships. Not so much rocky as noisy with the water slapping in the pool.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhf108
I will be a first-time cruiser, and don't know much about the layout of a ship and how each deck is in terms of rockiness. I've heard the front of a ship is the rockiest? Is that the case on every ship? I'm assuming the cabins in the front on the lower decks will be the rockiest parts. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Btw, I will be on the Norwegian Spirit, if anyone has any insight on NCL ships. Thank you!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM
kookylabooka

The staterooms way up front (bow) or the very back (aft) have the most motion in rough seas. Also the higher up you go the same thing.Mid ship lower decks has the least amount of motion.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Admiral

But the engine noise aft will keep your mind off the motion.

Mid ship lower inside is the sweet spot for motion and price! Higher outside cabins often come at a high price, only fully appreciated in a rough sea or when the stabalizers come in so the ship can gain speed to avoid bad weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookylabooka
The staterooms way up front (bow) or the very back (aft) have the most motion in rough seas. Also the higher up you go the same thing.Mid ship lower decks has the least amount of motion.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Deck locations

If you want quite, don't book aft or foward. the closer to water line the less you will experiance motion.
I will warn you, if the weather is bad. you will not escape heavy motion.
depending on the direction of the wind/current, the ship will often navagate as to prevent broad side hits against the Port/starboard from waves.
The wind is your enemy on any cruise. most tropical storms can be evaded in a 24 hour period. Hurricanes generally will cover a section of the Caribbean up to 200 plus miles, being the rated category is 3 or less.
The rating is the speed of the winds. some hurricans that reach a catergory 4 or 5, can interupt the entire region, thus the captain will determine if the ship will change complete iteneraries. from Eastern to Western or vise versa.

Getting back to your question, play it safe a book on the Plaza deck.
If you want cost savings, stay with a inside cabin. your TV will become your window, just tune in on the outside web cam. PS you'll sleep like a baby.

A liittle advise, the number of cabins on each deck will have a traffic flow to match. You will always have rude and or drunk passengers cruising down the corridores. this seems to happen between the hours of 2 am and 3 am. so check the deck layout and choose the deck that has the fewest cabins.

Happy sailing
Danny
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Beginner

Well then...is there a website that gives wind and wave forcasts for a time period? I'm not finding anything on The Weather Channel website. :)
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHA
Well then...is there a website that gives wind and wave forcasts for a time period? I'm not finding anything on The Weather Channel website.
The National Huricane center in Miami has a web site.
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Worst sections of a ship to get a cabin?

Upon reflecting what would be the worst cabin on a ship - how about a balcony cabin where a previous occupant did a swan dive. Do the ships have to tell you about that? That would be a rocky cabin to sleep in all right.