Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Familiar Face

Default Luggage Tags, Shore Excursions, Nervous DH, etc!

Lots of questions, I'm sorry - but I'm hoping it makes it easier for the next person to have a lot of answers in one post!

If you are flying, do you put your luggage tags on before you leave - or when you arrive at the port city? I drove last time so I don't quite know what to do when flying!

Jamaica. Dunns River Falls. Has an overweight, 50ish gal ever climbed it? I'm not completely out of shape - I have a shape and it's round! I just don't want to either make a fool of myself - or fall and get hurt!

Sailing 6/1 on Carnival Triumph. Cabin 8204. Anyone have an opinion on that cabin?

What can you suggest to help me calm the nerves of a DH who is a first time cruiser (only my second) - he's afraid of water (he CAN swim, he just has an unhealthy fear because of an accident when he was a teenager) - he's an automotive nut who spends all of his free time in the garage and has never relaxed on a vacation like a cruise, we are usually driving or riding our motorcycles when we go on vacation. In other words, he's never relinquished control over his mode of transportation before. And he's very nervous about going!

For those of you who fly frequently, my laptop bag is a Swiss Army Laptop Backpack, like this one. Is that small enough to be considered a personal item?
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=386868 Please, no flames about taking the laptop. I like to download all my pics each night so I can keep track of them better and describe them while it's all fresh in my mind.

With the increase in fees for the 2nd checked bag when flying, is anyone wearing the same formal dress twice on the same cruise? I was thinking maybe I could change it up with a different sweater or jacket for the second night. I'm just trying to figure out how to consolidate some luggage here.

And finally, how do you manage the final "can't wait to go, geez I'm going on a cruise, it's almost here" jitters? I'm going in under two weeks and it's truly consuming my every waking moment!

Thanks!
Martha
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Put the luggage tags on after you fly in, but before you hit the port to turn over luggage. Just put the tags on anything you hand over to the porters.

As for Dunns River falls, you should be able to handle it, you go up very slowly, but be sure to wear some old tennis shoes, crocks or water shoes, the rocks are slippery.

Hopefully your DH will settle down and not worry so much, enjoy the cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Luggage Tags, Shore Excursions, Nervous DH, etc!

1) The tags on your luggage in flight used to have a purpose when cruiselines pulled your luggage for you on transfers from cruise line-booked flights. Now, they don't really need to be on the luggage in flight.

2) Dunn's suggest you walk the trail, if seriously in doubt. Else buy water shoes for traction if you have good balance.

3) Can't help on Carnival cabins

4) Most folks afraid of the water had a childhood incident. The fear is real, if irrational. Do a sailaway party cruise - a few brews and a breeze should take care of the anxiety.

As to you bikers, jet skis are your water equivalent for control - they have them on Half Moon Cay as I recall if your trip goes there. Know the biker feeling well as I used to hate to be a passenger when I owned my bikes. However, your ship is just one massive airplane or bus so you won't even be tempted to bank on a curve.

5) The bag may pass for personal on a US flight, but maynot for an international flight. I do laptops on my trips, but then its a full time job tracking the millions in my son's known extended family for our genealogy records - kiddo also uses it for camera and video work.

6) Can't help on the clothes - I just usually pack a suit - a Henderson Gold Core 3 mil neoprene.

7) While you are jumping up and down waiting for your cruise, make sure you bills get paid, your mail gets picked up, the pets are taken care of and start researching your ports. Make a list and double check you have everything with you when you leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamartha
If you are flying, do you put your luggage tags on before you leave - or when you arrive at the port city? I drove last time so I don't quite know what to do when flying!

Jamaica. Dunns River Falls. Has an overweight, 50ish gal ever climbed it? I'm not completely out of shape - I have a shape and it's round! I just don't want to either make a fool of myself - or fall and get hurt!

Sailing 6/1 on Carnival Triumph. Cabin 8204. Anyone have an opinion on that cabin?

What can you suggest to help me calm the nerves of a DH who is a first time cruiser (only my second) - he's afraid of water (he CAN swim, he just has an unhealthy fear because of an accident when he was a teenager) - he's an automotive nut who spends all of his free time in the garage and has never relaxed on a vacation like a cruise, we are usually driving or riding our motorcycles when we go on vacation. In other words, he's never relinquished control over his mode of transportation before. And he's very nervous about going!

For those of you who fly frequently, my laptop bag is a Swiss Army Laptop Backpack, like this one. Is that small enough to be considered a personal item?
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=386868 Please, no flames about taking the laptop. I like to download all my pics each night so I can keep track of them better and describe them while it's all fresh in my mind.

With the increase in fees for the 2nd checked bag when flying, is anyone wearing the same formal dress twice on the same cruise? I was thinking maybe I could change it up with a different sweater or jacket for the second night. I'm just trying to figure out how to consolidate some luggage here.

And finally, how do you manage the final "can't wait to go, geez I'm going on a cruise, it's almost here" jitters? I'm going in under two weeks and it's truly consuming my every waking moment!

Thanks!
Martha
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas