Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Beginner

Default How Much Cash, and Travel Docs

Hi all!

I will preface this with the fact that our family usually vacations with our boat and camper. The last time we even got on a plane together was over 8 years ago, so the cruise preparations are pushing me over the edge!

It is our 20th wedding anniversary and we are taking our 14 and 10 year old on the Nickelodeon cruise in 3 weeks.

I have been lurking all over this site since we booked it, and now as we draw near, I have a few questions/anxieties:

1. We booked a little late, so the guy coordinating the cruise advised us that it was a little late for a passport - so we decided to go with our birth certificates. Lucky for me, I noticed in the cruise document that the hospital certificates are not the same thing (boy do I feel lucky/stupid!). So I just got done scrambling with ordering certified birth records over the internet through VitalCheck for my husband and kids. I do have an official record for me, though it is very old. Now I am worrying that we are going to get to the port and will not be able to board for some reason. Please make me feel better about this!

2. We have one credit card with a large limit, and no balance. I have notified them of our travel dates. We do not like to have a lot of credit cards so it has always been just the one. We also have a pin driven ATM card with plenty of $$ in the account. We will be gone for 7 days, excursions and soft drink cards are prepaid, we do not drink any alcohol (one drink is too much and a thousand is not enough), but we like to gamble. We prepaid our gratuity of 15%. How much cash should we bring (sounds like a story problem)?

Thank you Obiwans

Cruising Padawan Learner

Khana[/list]
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Kind of depends on how much you like to gamble, but, $500 to $1000 just to have cash for emergencies, put it in the safe in your room, and don't for get to take what you don't spend out when you leave.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Kind of depends on how much you like to gamble, but, $500 to $1000 just to have cash for emergencies, put it in the safe in your room, and don't for get to take what you don't spend out when you leave.
That sounds like an enormous amount of cash to be carrying around. Wouldn't it be safer and easier for the OP to just use a credit card or debit card and withdraw/spend as and when needed? I can't imagine a situation where they would suddenly need to come up with $1000 on the spot.
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Admiral

You are probably right, but we tend to take longer cruises and we seldom spend our cash reserve, but it is nice to know it's there for an emergency or for a special purchase. We usually don't take more than $500, but the OP said they gamble. We don't.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10